The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need 2nd Barn Home in SC... any advice?

Hello wonderful COTH family!

I've posted on this subject before but I am again hoping to get some recommendations in the matter. As you may remember, my SO located to Myrtle Beach, SC this pact October. I have the luxury of being able to travel between SE PA and SC but while I am down south I hate to take time off riding. At home in PA my close friend is a trainer and I am lucky to be able to ride her greenies and sale horses. I would love to find a barn down south where I am able to do the same, or as COTH has suggested in the past take some lessons to establish a relationship. At the very least I would like to find somewhere I could take some lessons so that while I am away from home I do not lose my riding legs entirely.

COTH has been kind enough to suggest two facilites in the past: Justintime Farm in Nichols and Red Gate Stable in Myrtle Beach. They both seem lovely but Justintime is well over an hour from Myrtle Beach and when I messaged Red Gate they said they were not interested. At minimum I would really like to take a few lessons to get some saddle time and I am willing to get creative (helping out with grooming etc) for any trainers who might appreciate having an extra hand for a few days.

Any thoughts, leads, or suggestions would be so very helpful.

Thank you!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

There just really isnt anything there. I promise. Not trying to be difficult.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

*sigh*

I know there isn't much. Frustrating! I hate taking off so many riding days at a time.

No one has a big enough barn to need grooming or riding, maybe a part lease on something at either place?
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    No one has a big enough barn to need grooming or riding, maybe a part lease on something at either place?
    Do you mean Justintime and Red Gate or my place here in PA as well?

Yes, I meant in MB, there may be someone who would let you ride in exchange for some help with their horse's expenses. I would run that by both places. There is also a guy in Marion that has a bunch of homebreds that he could use some help riding. Swamp Fox Farm I think he calls it.
    carolprudm

This is a good idea too, thanks! I can't afford a lot but would definitely be interested in something similar whether it be monetary or work compensation. Hm, now how to find something like this

when I messaged Red Gate they said they were not interested.
    Have you visited the barns in the area? talked to the trainers?
    do you have a reference letter from your PA trainer? videos that showcase your riding/training abilities? show record?

Not trying to be difficult but unless you've included a decent (outstanding?) CV in your messages, I can't seen any trainer being interested ...

I have visited a few barns in the area but there is not much that would be even considered a backyard/schooling barn up here. Riding is much less of a sport in this particular area than here in SE PA, so it is a tough search.

I can provide all of these items, however I am not looking to be compensated and would even be very happy if I found a barn where I could even take a few lessons. Maybe if my relationshp develops with the trainer and they would be willing to let me hack a horse or two I would be very happy!
    Last edited by tua37516; Jan. 3, 2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: typo

Riding is much less of a sport in this particular area than here in SE PA, so it is a tough search.
    I suspect you'll just have to drive, drive, drive & stop at every barn & chat

Obviously chat up the feed shops & anything approaching a tack shop & local vets & farriers & ... track down any clinics & schooling shows within a 4(?)hr drive - good luck.

If you want lessons, I suggest making the hike to Camden.
    carolprudm

This could go either really well or really badly, but maybe try posting on Craigslist that you're looking for riding time and willing to help with chores in exchange? We moved to a not-very-horsey area in TX and I couldn't find any nearby barns, so I posted on CL in desperation (wherever the horse for sale ads were - usually Farm and Garden?)

I ended up meeting an awesome ammy eventer who had more horses than she could keep ridden with her work schedule. In exchange for helping with chores/setting jumps/etc, I got to ride a lot - and on really nice horses, too! We had a great time and eventually I groomed at events for her and even got the chance to compete.

Obviously you never know what will happen when you unleash the chaos of Craigslist, but maybe it's worth a try if more traditional channels don't pan out?