The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    Borntorun, different areas of the country have different feeds, so you just have to find what works. We feed a regular performance feed, 11% protein, 10% fat, but pelleted, not sweet feed. We had always fed the sweet feed version, and they did fine, but we had to feed a lot of it. Our feed rep suggested getting the pelleted version as she felt they utilized it better, no grain passing through unused, etc. well, she was absolutely right! We have been delighted with the results.

I clip most of ours, but time it so I only have to do it once and so the summer coat is really getting ready to come in. Usually the last week of Feb. or first week of March for our show schedule here. This makes them PERFECT for Devon, and gives dapples a chance to develop. I have a black one this year that I will shed out and not clip. I didn't clip anyone one year, kept them blanketed and shed them out, and I don't think it affected our results at all. But it was a lot of work. Clipping once works well for us. Clipping doesn't promote new air growth, that is regulated by the length of the days, but it eliminates the shedding out thing, and makes rubbing on them MUCH easier and rewarding.
    Quick question for you!

Would it be a complete mess if I clipped only the body and not the head & legs for an early May show? Assuming I'd shed the head and legs off, but at least, I'd save myself the whole body!

I'd do a full clip, but I don't have appropriate clippers for the head & legs and I'd like to save myself the purchase for this year...
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

I'm not sure I would go that route... My A5s broke :-/ but I clips my horses legs (from hoof to below knee/hock) all year round to keep mud off and help keep them more clean (and white legs easier to keep clean) and I use my body clippers... I even had to clip my 2012 baby's ears with the body clippers when she was 5 months old for her inspection lol!
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by EquusMagnificus View Post
    Quick question for you!

Would it be a complete mess if I clipped only the body and not the head & legs for an early May show? Assuming I'd shed the head and legs off, but at least, I'd save myself the whole
    I'd do a full clip, but I don't have appropriate clippers for the head & legs and I'd like to save myself the purchase for this year...
    It has the potential to be a mess. The legs are usually the last to go, and if you have to end up clipping them, they will be WAY different than the body. I wouldn't do it.

You will have to have smaller clippers to do ears and face for shows anyway. You can do legs and most of head with body clippers. Many people do.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    You will have to have smaller clippers to do ears and face for shows anyway. You can do legs and most of head with body clippers. Many people do.
    I have smaller clippers to do touch-ups (ears, whiskers, etc.) but they are too small to do legs and a full-head. Meh.

We'll see what to do then depending on how he decides to shed...

Thanks for your reply.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn