The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I feed Triple Crown Growth and love it. My weanling is quite large and he has been great weight wise with a shiny coat.

His first HB show will be in August, so I too plan on working with him and maybe even trying to pony him a little for the exercise.

What fat supplement is ok for the growing babies? I use rice bran pellets for my 4 year old, would this also be fine for the baby?

The curry comb is also your best friend!

We feed flax seed and used corn oil in the old days. Doesn't really matter, whatever works for you.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Good to know! Ill give it a try!!
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!

So sorry this informative thread got interrupted by an asshat. Some people seem to make it a personal challenge to have something bad to say regardless of the subject. I would and have taken Laurie's recommendations and been extremely successful as a result. We are truly blessed with an incredible wealth of information with some of the best of the best freely sharing their advice, I would hate to lose that because they got sick of arguing with idiots.

3 members found this post helpful.

So here's a question for everyone, wht type of curry do you use on your babies? I always feel bad scrubbing on them when they go through growth spurts with my oval black curries because i feel them hit their little bones and feel bad! What types do you use?
    Like Us On Facebook!

The black rubber curries come in two styles: a softer rubber with rounded teeth, and the harder one with triangular teeth. The first kind is harder to find so I buy them whenever I find them. I have never had a horse object to them. The harder kind is fine but you have to be conscious to lighten up on bony or sensitive places. Currying is an enjoyable thing to 98% of horses. Very important in producing a shiny, healthy coat.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.

1 members found this post helpful.

What about the jelly type curries or gloves? I really like the jellies especially for bathes, it's got the bigger teeth and smaller teeth and conforms softly for legs and bony areas ... Does it do as good of a job working the hair and skin?
    Like Us On Facebook!

I find them too soft for general currying, although I use them on head and lower legs. They don't get deep down enough for me. But to each their own. I gave been grooming horses the same way for a VERY long time and I don't change my methods easily or unnessarily.
    Laurie

Glood to know!!! Thanks!!
    Like Us On Facebook!

I have a little light green rubber curry with long soft rubber bristles for their face and legs, then I use a blue hand curry for the body.

And I swear by Eqyss mega tek cell rebuilder for their tails.

I use healthy hair cair moisturizer when their coats seem dry.

And I use Sound hoof conditioner for their feet. It keeps their feet very healthy, and it is a plus that it smells like cinnamon rolls!

Quote Originally Posted by Samotis View Post
    I have a little light green rubber curry with long soft rubber bristles for their face and legs, then I use a blue hand curry for the body.

And I swear by Eqyss mega tek cell rebuilder for their tails.

I use healthy hair cair moisturizer when their coats seem dry.

And I use Sound hoof conditioner for their feet. It keeps their feet very healthy, and it is a plus that it smells like cinnamon rolls!
    You READ MY MIND talking bout tails... BUT I think that is a whole new thread.. I shall start one
    Like Us On Facebook!

One of the "new" products that I have completely switched to is Lucky Braids shampoo (well, actually, her whole line of products). I get really great results with it and never ave to worry about drying. I gave up my Orvus for it!
    Laurie

Good info! Thanks Laurie...You are VERY well qualified to make suggestions. Everyone who aspires to show on the line in HB knows who Junior is and he has a proven track record so your certainly someone who would know. I would also like to show my filly this year in HB, but not sure she'll be "ready" for Spring shows. She is very thin and has a nappy coat. I just purchased her so we are behind the 8-ball on everything!

Would you consider clipping her to remove the dull, winter fuzz and to promote new healthy hair growth? Also, I'm not able to get TC Growth but have been using their Senior product instead. Any comments on that as a substitute feed?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    I would not worry about it.
    Understand that Lauriep is not an actual USEF licensed judge, HB or anything else.
    Grooms class is not a USEF recognized class so shows get anybody they want to judge those types of classes.
    There you go, being all helpful again.
    You mush be a busy person, so, Please, dont feel the need to be so generous with your time and opinions here.

2 members found this post helpful.

I also love the Lucky Braids line - cleans well, rinses easily, great stuff!

Borntorun, different areas of the country have different feeds, so you just have to find what works. We feed a regular performance feed, 11% protein, 10% fat, but pelleted, not sweet feed. We had always fed the sweet feed version, and they did fine, but we had to feed a lot of it. Our feed rep suggested getting the pelleted version as she felt they utilized it better, no grain passing through unused, etc. well, she was absolutely right! We have been delighted with the results.

I clip most of ours, but time it so I only have to do it once and so the summer coat is really getting ready to come in. Usually the last week of Feb. or first week of March for our show schedule here. This makes them PERFECT for Devon, and gives dapples a chance to develop. I have a black one this year that I will shed out and not clip. I didn't clip anyone one year, kept them blanketed and shed them out, and I don't think it affected our results at all. But it was a lot of work. Clipping once works well for us. Clipping doesn't promote new air growth, that is regulated by the length of the days, but it eliminates the shedding out thing, and makes rubbing on them MUCH easier and rewarding.
    Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    Borntorun, different areas of the country have different feeds, so you just have to find what works. We feed a regular performance feed, 11% protein, 10% fat, but pelleted, not sweet feed. We had always fed the sweet feed version, and they did fine, but we had to feed a lot of it. Our feed rep suggested getting the pelleted version as she felt they utilized it better, no grain passing through unused, etc. well, she was absolutely right! We have been delighted with the results.

I clip most of ours, but time it so I only have to do it once and so the summer coat is really getting ready to come in. Usually the last week of Feb. or first week of March for our show schedule here. This makes them PERFECT for Devon, and gives dapples a chance to develop. I have a black one this year that I will shed out and not clip. I didn't clip anyone one year, kept them blanketed and shed them out, and I don't think it affected our results at all. But it was a lot of work. Clipping once works well for us. Clipping doesn't promote new air growth, that is regulated by the length of the days, but it eliminates the shedding out thing, and makes rubbing on them MUCH easier and rewarding.
    I was wondering about clipping... My last two babies I clipped, but I lived in CO and by the time first show came around they were beasts... Well they are again this year and the first show is 2 months earlier in the year! I also think its goo practice for them when they get older. Glad you brought this up!!
    Like Us On Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    I gave up my Orvus for it!
    What! Better than Orvus?

Now, to use up that decade's worth size tub... Maybe I'll demote it to dog-only use.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

SOOOO I made a goal for myself.. I'm going to do a "grooming challenge" with both my babies. Im going to make it a goal of mine to curry and brush real good both babies every day I am at the barn (m-f) and take pictures each time, keeps me encouraged lol!
    Like Us On Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by rocksolid View Post
    Lauriep can judge my horses whenever she wants and I welcome any comments she gives out. She knows A LOT about HB and Performance horses.
    Tom Breede is the only judge i know that will touch your horse or pony. At every horse show I have been to and he judged, my animals felt his hand on their shoulders.
    I love that Thom does this, he has genuine affection for horses. He'll give them a little pat or touch their nose, even at Devon.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies