The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 2012
    Location
    Fredericksburg, va
    Posts
    678

    Talking Getting babies show ring ready (prep, supplements, etc)

    While this will be my fifth or so year showing babies in the HB ring, in the past I have done it mainly for the experience, but as I am now on the east coast and at least want to show up like a "big dog" even though I'm still mainly here for the experience for my babies. I'm curious what everyone starts doing to prep. I've begun practice jogging and teaching my weanling to stand up. But I guess my biggest question is how to you get them super shiny beautiful babies (without being obese). I just want a healthy beautiful baby (in other words). My baby gets a sweet feed and a vitamin an mineral supplement. I'm considering adding a coat and skin supplement maybe flax? Or wheat germ oil? But I don't necessarily need her plumped or to make her hot. How often do you groom them? Curious what very one starts doing in prep with their babies now that show season is drawing near!
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 1999
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    36,091

    Default

    Instead of a sweet feed, which is a lot of wasted calories and nutrition, then adding this supplement and that supplement, you would probably be better off going with a good low sugar Growth feed and going from there. Good base nutrition puts a really nice shine on coats, and then you can augment that on show day with some Vetroline Shine or something of that nature if it's just got to be a blinding shine
    ______________________________
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances. - ET



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul. 27, 2005
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    3,244

    Default

    Along with what JB said, Lots of elbow grease with the curry comb, and I don't use shampoo very often unless we are going to a show or doing pictures for marketing. Good Luck and hope to see you at the shows
    Last edited by alliekat; Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:18 PM.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan. 29, 2000
    Location
    SE WI- Midwest
    Posts
    3,508

    Default

    Farnam's Super 14 was recommended to me as a good go to coat supplement.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 2012
    Location
    Fredericksburg, va
    Posts
    678

    Default

    When I moved here I did some extensive comparing of different feeds etc as for what I wanted to feed my guys, the type I chose is very similar to the growth formula I had them on in CO minus the biotin. I haven mine on this general vitamin supplement as a recommendation from my vet in CO my now two year old had a calcium deficiency as the grass in CO is high in phosphorus and low in calcium there... I've heard it's the opposite here... So that's essentially the reason I have them all on that, but I'm just thinking mainly of adding flax or some good coat conditioner to the mix to rev up the shine on top of my extra elbow grease.
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2006
    Posts
    1,421

    Default

    I prep for the sales ring, but my babies get 2oz wheat germ oil and smart omega starting about 60 days out. They get curried EVERY day and only bathed once prior to the sale



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 1999
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    36,091

    Default

    What feed are you using?
    ______________________________
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances. - ET



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep. 14, 2000
    Location
    Goochland, VA
    Posts
    8,572

    Default

    I NEVER use a coat spray. It is cheating, IMO, and when I judge grooms classes, that is the first thing I feel for.

    Added fat is necessary for weight gain and shine. Enough protein, but not too much, about 11-12%, is necessary for building muscle and a good hair coat, without getting lumpy joints. They DO NOT need to be obese, just nicely rounded with no angularity, and no ribs showing.

    Most people do not feed babies enough. We get youngsters in that look starved. As soon as we start feeding them, they blossom and GROW. These are growing animals and need to be fed enough. It is also VERY difficult to get yearlings just right, as they have so many growth spurts that continually undo your work. Just as you get them gaining nicely, you will walk in the barn and be faced with a skinny, butt high baby who looked fine yesterday!
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com


    5 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct. 13, 2003
    Location
    Eastern Pacific coast
    Posts
    3,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rosebudranch View Post
    I've begun practice jogging and teaching my weanling to stand up.
    This is not directed towards you specifically.

    Just want to say that the element of showmanship is important too.

    The rule book says trot. Unfortunately some major shows haven't updated the class specifics to the "new" rule, which was put in place a few years ago.

    No more jogging. Horses have to move with energy and show the quality of the gait.

    Many handlers still shuffle along, jog the horses a few yards and then quit.
    It's pathetic.

    But those handlers who actually trot out their horses, and go for a distance, show them off and give the judge a good look at what the horse can do. It sets them apart from the rest.

    If the breeders are proud of what they bred, then let's see it.
    Last edited by Mardi; Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:04 PM.
    -Amor vincit omnia-


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 2012
    Location
    Fredericksburg, va
    Posts
    678

    Default

    This is what my kiddos eat :

    http://www.cfcfarmhome.net/Feeds/Equ...eMaker130.aspx

    My weanling filly is getting 2 large (3 quarts) scoops a day one am and one pm, my yearling pony colt gets 1 lb twice a day ( he is an easy keeper like his mother). Both get 3-4 flakes of hay per day, plus on pasture.
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 2012
    Location
    Fredericksburg, va
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    This is not directed towards you specifically.

    Just want to say that the element of showmanship is important too.

    The rule book says trot. Unfortunately some major shows haven't updated the class specifics to the "new" rule, which was put in place a few years ago.

    No more jogging. Horses have to move with energy and show the quality of the gait.

    Many handlers still shuffle along, jog the horses a few yards and then quit.
    It's pathetic.

    But those handlers who actually trot out their horses, and go for a distance, show them off and give the judge a good look at what the horse can do. It sets them apart from the rest.

    If the breeders are proud of what they bred, then let's see it.
    I completely agree!!! I just used to term jog cause I suppose that what it's called by "the general public" but when I say I've started teaching her I've been teaching her to step off when I cluck and to do so with energy. A good trot will look even better vs the horses "dragging" along. My yearling colt (I suppose technically he's a 2 yr old now) was horrible lat year, he's so quiet that I literally felt like I was dragging him along. We have been workin on this with him this year, as I think he has a fairly decent trot, and some energy would actually Show it off!
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 1999
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    36,091

    Default

    With oats, barley, molasses, and corn as the first 4 ingredients, it's probably quite high in sugars, and that means feeding more to get the same results as a lower sugar feed

    3 quarts is probably in the 4.5-5lb range, given the first ingredients. That's the minimal amount for a 1000lb horse, and probably the top range for a weanling (which means it's really quite a lot, and a lot of sugar on top of that).

    If you can get TC Growth, that would be a far, far better food for both horses There would be less sugar to deal with and more of a better nutritional profile to work on them, which would be the biggest step towards getting that good coat. And, it will be cheaper than adding several coat supplements
    ______________________________
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances. - ET


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 2012
    Location
    Fredericksburg, va
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    I NEVER use a coat spray. It is cheating, IMO, and when I judge grooms classes, that is the first thing I feel for.

    Added fat is necessary for weight gain and shine. Enough protein, but not too much, about 11-12%, is necessary for building muscle and a good hair coat, without getting lumpy joints. They DO NOT need to be obese, just nicely rounded with no angularity, and no ribs showing.

    Most people do not feed babies enough. We get youngsters in that look starved. As soon as we start feeding them, they blossom and GROW. These are growing animals and need to be fed enough. It is also VERY difficult to get yearlings just right, as they have so many growth spurts that continually undo your work. Just as you get them gaining nicely, you will walk in the barn and be faced with a skinny, butt high baby who looked fine yesterday!
    I have never had a HB judge touch my horse, not that I would be opposed by any means!! But that's an interesting piece of information, I'm not a big fan of spray on shiners as if you don't douse your horse you can clearly tell where you didn't spray it. I'm completely against show sheen, but in the past I've used the pink moisturizer, sprayer on a rag then wiped over the horse just to remove any missed dust that may be lingering. Thoughts on this?



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar. 5, 2007
    Posts
    1,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rosebudranch View Post
    I have never had a HB judge touch my horse, not that I would be opposed by any means!! But that's an interesting piece of information, I'm not a big fan of spray on shiners as if you don't douse your horse you can clearly tell where you didn't spray it. I'm completely against show sheen, but in the past I've used the pink moisturizer, sprayer on a rag then wiped over the horse just to remove any missed dust that may be lingering. Thoughts on this?
    I would not worry about it.
    Understand that Lauriep is not an actual USEF licensed judge, HB or anything else.
    Grooms class is not a USEF recognized class so shows get anybody they want to judge those types of classes.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 2012
    Location
    Fredericksburg, va
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    I would not worry about it.
    Understand that Lauriep is not an actual USEF licensed judge, HB or anything else.
    Grooms class is not a USEF recognized class so shows get anybody they want to judge those types of classes.
    Either way.. Having been a participant in a grooms glass in Tuscon as a 17 yr old during my time grooming for a hunter trainer it was fun and I do not look down on her opinion as I feel it is a good one. In my opinion my job as breeder, owner, and handler is to produce and present the top quality horse that would wow anyone, not just through bloodlines or taken or conformation, but all of the prior PLUS look the part. My goals in showing are to do my personal and my horses' personal BEST job WOW-ing not only the judge, but fellow competitors, by standers, and the audience. Presentation is a huge must, and I plan to step it up this year and represent . But I appreciate anyone's opinions because of this as it helps me better understand from ALL sides what people notice, what they look for, etc, and it can only make me better.
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep. 14, 2000
    Location
    Goochland, VA
    Posts
    8,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S A McKee View Post
    I would not worry about it.
    Understand that Lauriep is not an actual USEF licensed judge, HB or anything else.
    Grooms class is not a USEF recognized class so shows get anybody they want to judge those types of classes.
    You really are a colassal ass. Did I CLAIM to be a USEF judge? Anywhere? Didn't think so. What I AM, and have been for about 40 years, is a professional groom and my BUSINESS is conditioning young horses, among other things. And YOURS is? The OP asked for help. If you can't actually HELP, why don't you go back to your miserable life, since it is impossible for you to be courteous or helpful.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com


    7 members found this post helpful.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep. 14, 2000
    Location
    Goochland, VA
    Posts
    8,572

    Default

    OP, I use that moisturizer after I body clip, to help with any dry skin issues and because it seems to encourage the regrowth of the coat. I use it after I have done a complete grooming. Using it to remove dust would, IMO, be counterproductive as it actually attracts dust until completely absorbed.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com


    1 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 2012
    Location
    Fredericksburg, va
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    OP, I use that moisturizer after I body clip, to help with any dry skin issues and because it seems to encourage the regrowth of the coat. I use it after I have done a complete grooming. Using it to remove dust would, IMO, be counterproductive as it actually attracts dust until completely absorbed.
    I agree with it attracting dust... Hense why I spray it on the rag then wipe over the coat, in attempts to attract any remaining dust to the rag not horse? Maybe it doesn't make sense lol... It does in my head *which could be a scary place to venture...* haha.

    Again I APPRECIATE your input, I do sincerely!
    First and foremost about the horse.
    Rose Bud Ranch Sporthorses
    Like Us On Facebook!



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep. 14, 2000
    Location
    Goochland, VA
    Posts
    8,572

    Default

    No, I understand what you are saying, but because it doesn't absorb immediately, and lays on the coat for awhile, as soon as you are done, dust in the air will cling to it. Better to just use a dry rub rag just as you go into the ring.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec. 9, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Lauriep can judge my horses whenever she wants and I welcome any comments she gives out. She knows A LOT about HB and Performance horses.
    Tom Breede is the only judge i know that will touch your horse or pony. At every horse show I have been to and he judged, my animals felt his hand on their shoulders.


    5 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Escudo 1 babies in the hunter ring
    By Treasmare2 in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Sep. 5, 2012, 11:18 AM
  2. First show (alone!) in years...help me prep
    By AliCat518 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Jun. 11, 2011, 10:47 PM
  3. Pregnant and trying to prep for a huge show!! Help!!
    By eventer80 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Aug. 26, 2010, 01:57 PM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last Post: Jul. 26, 2010, 04:28 PM
  5. Horse Show Prep Course
    By Victorylady in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: Jan. 30, 2009, 08:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness