The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Studies View Post
    Not sure I want to face the wrath of choosing myself-even though he got to choose the bull terrier that we have coming when she weans her pups
    Is this referring to the bull that passed away or does he already have a deposit down on a new puppy?

I want a dog now dammit! Going home tomorrow to an empty house is not in my plan. And no I'm not bring impulsive-it's been almost a month.
    Impulsivity is not tied to a time-frame but rather acting on impulse rather than logic or thought. Finding a dog, any dog, just so you don't go home to an empty house seems impulsive. I'm sure it's really rough having a quiet house after the bull terriers passing but hopefully the next dog that enters your life will be there for 10-15 years. Waiting a few weeks for the perfect match is better than a decade spent trying to make a poor fit work with your lifestyle.

2 members found this post helpful.

what is the actual, legal wording of your area's law? in some areas, if someone, anyone, thinks the dog looks like a "pitbull" you're in trouble, but other areas have more specific wording in their laws.

On size alone it's easy enough to distinguish between a pitbull and an american bulldog- bulldogs are large dogs, and pitbulls are only medium sized (am pitbulls) and may even tend towards small in size (am staffs).

However, if the dog came from a shelter, and you don't have any papers or a DNA test to prove breed, I suggest you go with the "MUTT". You can't go wrong with that one. And since it's been proven over and over again that it's practically impossible for anyone to accurately identify the breed(s), if any, that went into a mutt by visual identification, you're probably much more accurate going around saying "this is my mutt" than by guessing about breed.

The Ontario law is all about what looks like a pit bull. The law is written something like "pit bulls and similar dogs...."

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    Is this referring to the bull that passed away or does he already have a deposit down on a new puppy?

Both-he chose the first one and the second one is our dog's niece, so an adult. Which is fine. I'm good with any type/breed for the most part. Not that it needs to be a taking turns scenario, but he has limited the options to dogs we either can't bring here, or ones that aren't necessarily likely to get along. So it's been difficult that way-there are a million suitable dogs out there but he is trying to find one just like the one we just lost-and it's not going to happen, even with the related dog that we are waiting for. He always said no more dogs when ours was getting older, thinking ahead to when she was going to die, and his minimal coping skills in that situation. Thankfully he's decided the happiness they bring is worth the pain when we lose them. It took a while and the empty house for him to realize that. I come from a family that found another dog right away-to help grieve by giving another unwanted four-legged a home. Don't think I'm heartless, I have tears in my eyes right now, and that's pretty rare.

Impulsivity is not tied to a time-frame but rather acting on impulse rather than logic or thought. Finding a dog, any dog, just so you don't go home to an empty house seems impulsive. I'm sure it's really rough having a quiet house after the bull terriers passing but hopefully the next dog that enters your life will be there for 10-15 years. Waiting a few weeks for the perfect match is better than a decade spent trying to make a poor fit work with your lifestyle.
    Absolutely right. It sounds like I'm the impulsive one but it's really the opposite. I'm the logical one in the household in general. He's the impulsive one-with everything. Don't get me started on the list. But in the pet sense that he's chosen a thin, likely sick, non-housebroken, dog that will be at risk where we live of being confiscated. Not to mention my mother is our dog sitter when we are away/working late, and she is not a fan of any of those types. If she were any other breed he wouldn't even have looked at her. He didn't have pets growing up other than a hunting dog that was tied up outside and got shot when he wasn't useful any more. That was incredibly traumatic for him and therefore he finds it all very overwhelming losing a dog and has gone a bit offside and illogical.

There are two other more suitable dogs there-took one out for a stroll and she was lovely. A mutt-maybe shepherd/husky. Young, sweet and has some basic obedience already. Unclaimed stray. The other (same type) might get adopted today, so I'm waiting to see before deciding. He does like the one I showed him online and we
    sent him video of her. He knows I'm right and will make the right choice. and I know he's ready because he said "she's a possibility".

If anyone's interested in looking, the two are Apples and Blacky on the same website as I posted earlier.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

Quote Originally Posted by chancellor2 View Post
    The Ontario law is all about what looks like a pit bull. The law is written something like "pit bulls and similar dogs...."
    Yes and that's the problem!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Could you maybe take him to a shelter or rescue that has some dogs you think would meet your criteria and introduce him? Maybe actually interacting with dogs of other breeds would make him consider alternative options.

ETA glad you see from your post above you seem to be doing this. The right dog is out there somewhere, good luck! It sounds like you'd be most rescues dream so shouldn't have any trouble with contracts, but of course make sure you read through them carefully especially as you're doing this from such a distance!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I just adopted Apples. SO was good with that. I will attempt to put a few photos on Facebook. She's staying over at the shelter tonight as where I'm staying there are 2 dogs, and we are hitting the road tomorrow morning at 10 when I pick her up. So all worked out (at least so far)! Now please someone outside of Ontario go get Moe the bulldog. I feel sad leaving her, but I think it's the best decision.

1 members found this post helpful.

Apples is beautiful! Congratulations. Let us know how she settles in!
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

I just adopted Apples. SO was good with that. I will attempt to put a few photos on Facebook. She's staying over at the shelter tonight as where I'm staying there are 2 dogs, and we are hitting the road tomorrow morning at 10 when I pick her up. So all worked out (at least so far)! Now please someone outside of Ontario go get Moe the bulldog. I feel sad leaving her, but I think it's the best decision.
    What a face!

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24970303

I can see why you picked her. Congrats!
    "Crazy is just another point of view" Sonia Dada

www.longhopes.org

Very cute dog. Congrats!
    You are what you dare.

Apples is adorable! My kind of dog. I do feel for the bully breeds and may have one some day-there are a lot in shelters here. But the whole BSL deal would worry me, and Moe's chronic thinness. I wish the best for her though.

Quote Originally Posted by Milocalwinnings View Post
    She definitely looks like a typical American Bulldog to me.

However, the problem is the general public usually doesn't recognize/know the difference between a pit bull, am staff, and american bulldog... so definitely have that paperwork at the ready incase your landlord/neighbors mistake her for a restricted breed.
    I wholeheartedly agree with this.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Congratulations!! She is adorable.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Apple is beautiful, good luck!

Re: the usual spitting over BSL and pit bulls, just wanted to remind the complainers that the NCR aka National Canine Research Council, is a pit bull advocacy group. Their research and conclusions are therefore suspect, to say the least.

oh apples is beautiful! look at those eyes, she is going to so loyal and loving. congratualtions!

Congrats!

As a pittie owner in Ontario I can tell you I have NEVER had any issues. She is 13 (so was with me before the ban), but no one can tell her age anyway. She's lovely, kind, quiet and is a neighborhood favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post

Re: the usual spitting over BSL and pit bulls, just wanted to remind the complainers that the NCR aka National Canine Research Council, is a pit bull advocacy group. Their research and conclusions are therefore suspect, to say the least.
    It is the same with other than BSL.

From millions of guns out there, one shooter makes all guns suspect.
    From many dairies out there, one video of abuse makes them all suspect.
    One race horse breaks down, makes all racing suspect.
    One rescue starving horses/misusing funds and others become suspect.
    One pit bull/dobie/rottie bite story makes all breed suspect.

That is the way of the world.
    We have to live in this world and manage best we can.
    Some times, that may mean not getting the dog we may have wished.

Aww, Apples is adorable!! I'm a huge German Shepherd fan, so her looks are just really appealing to me...but even if I wasn't, those eyes are just so sweet! I wish you all the best

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post

By all means, then, please point to a non biased source.

I would say that ninety percent of police, animal control officers and judges would simply call her a pit bull. I know of registred boxers, a lab cross, and a beagle dobie cross that were listed a "pit bulls" and taken from owners in BSL disputes. Not to mention that there are reports of police officers shooting dogs in their own homes claiming to be attacked.

although this is basically an american site, it has useful legal information.

http://www.animallaw.info/articles/d...ootingpets.htm