The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thanks folks. Keep the discussions coming. To be honest, I'm more nervous about getting her across the border, and having issues when I get home. Still it's a risk I'm not sure I'm willing to take. I'm on my way down to PA now so will meet her in about five hours. If only a DNA test was reliable.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

Looks like a poor, VERY skinny AB, to me. POOR pup. Hope you can save/help her.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I have had people honest to God come into the shop and comment on the "pit" I'm working on when the dog on the table was a purebred boxer, pure lab, ABD, english bulldog (and pugs get mistaken for english bulldogs!), mastiff of all flavors and Dogue de Bordeaux. Unless it's black and tan and then it's a rottie.

In short, people know NOTHING about dog breeds. Short hair, that color, blocky head = pit to average joe non-animal-person public. If you're living an area where you can't have a pit, and you have no solid evidence that it isn't, that just sounds like inviting way too much trouble into your life.

5 members found this post helpful.

I'm sorry to say, but please don't take this dog to Ontario. It doesn't matter one iota what ANYONE thinks she looks like. Having done battle over BSL for many years, if your dog has a blocky head and has been in a shelter, it is DEFINITELY a pit bull to the idiots who support BSL.
    And frankly, even a DNA test isn't necessarily going to help in this case.

3 members found this post helpful.

I honestly don't find it fair to the dog to bring her into a BSL area. It's asking for heartbreak for you and more trauma for her, whether they put her to sleep or find some other option for her.

And honestly, any reputable rescue group would not adopt a bully type dog to someone who lives in a BSL area.
    What happens when you get to the boarder and they don't let her through despite paperwork that says she's an american bulldog? What happens when you have an average joe on the street, an angry neighbor, etc see her and put up a fuss claiming she's a pit?

As much as you may want her, it's not fair to the pup. Too risky, IMO. There are tons of other dogs out there who won't be mistaken as a pit. Keep searching for one of them.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Do you mean DNA tests such as this one?
    Maybe...if that's all you can find. I DNA'd our shelter dog with a home test. He came back exactly what we thought he was. For kicks I ordered another to test my purposely bred and known what he is dog, too. Came back exact to him, too.

It was just a thought. DNA has saved a number of bully breeds from label in some areas (a.k.a. Denver County)
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    Maybe...if that's all you can find. I DNA'd our shelter dog with a home test. He came back exactly what we thought he was. For kicks I ordered another to test my purposely bred and known what he is dog, too. Came back exact to him, too.

It was just a thought. DNA has saved a number of bully breeds from label in some areas (a.k.a. Denver County)
    My co-worker did a DNA test on his dog he adopted. She is about ~40lbs, short haired, and has a a coat pattern like a doberman although she is probably not a doberman. Test came back that she is 50% Chihauau...

Update-she is a lovely dog but......she's been that thin since spring. That's how long she's been there. Story is that owner went to jail and she and another bulldog female were brought in at some point after. So???????? And she's not housebroken (and eats all the feces she can get hold of). Up close and personal she looks way more like a bulldog than in the ad photos-protruding lower jaw and everything. Once I get to somewhere where there is wireless I'll post a few photos.

Ahh, poop eating. I have one of those and have learned in his 12 years there are only two surefire ways of solving coprophagia; pick up all poop, or don't look As for housebreaking -she is an adult and should pick it up pretty quick. Just associate a potty word with a time she's guaranteed to go potty -after meal, after waking etc.

Skinny dog since spring -Is she wormed?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Lord have mercy. She's been that thin since last spring? At the Humane Society? Something seems way wrong with that. What are they feeding her? Did the other dogs there look okay?
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

1 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Here's the thing, IMO. It doesn't matter whether or not WE (collective - as experienced animal owners) think this dog is a pitbull. The sad fact is that the average joe will. The average joe is the one who is going to do something stupid, probably not the dogs fault, that will cause dog to get under AC's radar. You may have one person in AC behind you, but that's one of many.

If I'm completely honest my first thought when I saw a pic of the dog was "pitbull." After seeing comparison pics posted I can see the difference, but that doesn't mean the majority of average joes out there will bother to look. Now, obviously, I know very little about dog breeds, but I like to think of myself as an experienced animal owner and would not judge a dog purely based on its breed. Unfortunately for these types of dogs not everyone is like us.

I think the right thing to do in this situation is leave this dog for someone in a situation where she'll thrive, - ideally with someone in a private house they own. Even if you're not living in areas with blanket bans, most apartments and a lot of rentals I've seen etc have bans on "aggressive" breeds.

I hope you find a suitable dog for your situation!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

What the he^^ kind of shelter is that where they have starving animals?? Sweet jesus, OP, take her with you straight to your vet and have her euthed. That is just sinful.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    I think the right thing to do in this situation is leave this dog for someone in a situation where she'll thrive, - ideally with someone in a private house they own.
    That would be me. 3 acres in the country. Fenced yard. Fields, lakes and trails everywhere around me. Except I'm in Ontario-so that's the complication. I'd take almost any dog needing a home but the SO is still hard core grieving our bull terrier that passed a few weeks ago-hence the bully breed obsession. This was the first dog he perked up at-and I've shown him hundreds. Literally. There's a few others there that I'm going to see tomorrow. Not what he thinks he wants, but the exact kind of dog he needs. I like this place-dogs are in good shape other than this one. Low adoption fee and not a zillion hoops to jump through. Stay tuned!

Because she's so thin, and has been for six months or more, then I would be worried about adopting and having AC show up about the skinniness. I wonder what is going on medically that makes her that skinny.

I feel sorry for her, but I agree that with the BSL laws where you live that you'll have a lot of years of AC showing up, and neighbors getting hysterical. And you know that if anything happens to a person or another animal that she'll be blamed no matter how innocent she is.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

As I'm a long ways south of Ontario, can someone explain what the BSL thing is? I'm guessing it has something to do w/ pits and pit mixes, but how bad is it?

And OP - she looks, except for the weight, pretty much like all the images when you google Am. Bulldog. Good luck, I'm hoping for the girl's sake that you can work it out.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

BSL = breed-specific legislation. It is indeed something to do with pit bulls; the breed(s) which are specifically legislated against (aka, banned) in a town or county with BSL are almost always from the the dog-killing breeds, aka the "fighting" breeds. A few other breeds do get involved, notably the Rottweiler, but it's basically a response to horrendous dog-on-human attacks since the 1980s, which almost always involve a "bully breed."

OP, have you gotten a straight answer from the shelter as to why the dog is still so thin? I may be confused, but I thought the dog had been in their custody for at least a few months.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    BSL = breed-specific legislation. It is indeed something to do with pit bulls; the breed(s) which are specifically legislated against (aka, banned) in a town or county with BSL are almost always from the the dog-killing breeds, aka the "fighting" breeds. A few other breeds do get involved, notably the Rottweiler, but it's basically a response to horrendous dog-on-human attacks since the 1980s, which almost always involve a "bully breed."

OP, have you gotten a straight answer from the shelter as to why the dog is still so thin? I may be confused, but I thought the dog had been in their custody for at least a few months.
    Wow! What a completely THOUGHTLESS and mis-informed post.
    BSL does stand for Breed Specific Legislation (so you at least got that right).
    BSL is the same thing as racial profiling just dogs not humans. And has been shown to be ineffective.
    First, there is no accurate way to determine the breed of a dog based on its looks UNLESS there is a breed specific coloring and even then it is not completely accurate.
    BSL as it relates to pit bulls generally utilizes the blocky head (and often the brindled coat) as the hallmarks of a pit bull.
    A pit bull is NOT a breed but rather a type of dog. There are four different breeds often referred to as pit bulls. The American Staffordshire Terrier (AKC), the Staffordshire Bull Terrier(AKC), the American Pit Bull Terrier (UKC) and often the Bull Terrier(AKC).
    Most statistics "proving" that these dogs are dangerous are based on poor identifications. So, the statistics are skewed by poor identifications and including four different breeds of dogs in the grouping.
    There is a lot of good information here:
    http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil...-publications/

including a peer reviewed paper demonstrating the poor accuracy of eyewitness testimony.

BSL in Ontario is related to pit bulls....but has been applied in the past to dobermans (originally bred as a guard dog and not a fighting dog), german shepherds (also not a fighting dog), akitas (also not a fighting dog) and the like.

Finally, I would like to point out that the American Staffordshire terriers have been bred for hundreds of years now as a companion dog. People like vacation like to point out that they were originally bred for baiting bulls and then other dogs....and are still therefore dangerous. However, even in dog fighting, dogs who bit human beings were culled. Dogs in the dog fighting ring had to be safe to handle in the midst of a fight. So, it is completely erroneous to claim that their fighting background makes them dangerous to human beings. However, people like vacation like to continue to propagate this nastiness for reasons unknown to me.
    Many people who spew such nonsense have never met a properly socialized pit bull and do not truly know the breed. Rather they are allowing the media (whose job it is to get ratings) to educate them.

4 members found this post helpful.

I wanted to add that many of the horrific human on dog attacks that involved bully breeds were often the result of a very young child wandering into the backyard of a person with a chained dog. The death of any child is heartbreaking but when you read the details of many of these cases you can see that a poorly contained aggressive dog and unsupervised children were often involved. **ETA aggressive dogs occur in any breed, I am not implying that the dogs were aggressive because they were bully breeds. ***

At least in my area up until about 10 years ago there was an unfortunate correlation between bully breeds and people who wanted "tough" dogs. Most were poorly socialized, chained out, allowed to wander, etc. This perpetuated the reputation that those breeds were dangerous or aggressive. More recently, college kids have been adopting bullys like crazy and our town is seeing more and more bullys that are more typical of their breed standards, outgoing, gentle, curious, etc.

There is a great website out there that has the details about every bully attack in the last 30 years or so. Hopefully someone will know what I am talking about and will link it. Going through it was a very eye-opening experience for me and changed my understanding of what happens in most of these "human on dog attacks."

I believe this may be what you are thinking GraceLikeRain.
    http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil...ith%20AVMA.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    Not really-she will gain a bit of weight then drop it almost overnight. They've tried a bunch of different foods, tested for as many things as their funds will allow with really no answers. I imagine in the state she was in when they got her, with 4 pups, her system is quite messed up and who knows what else is happening in there. She's been there since spring I think. I didn't see any other thin dogs there-and the link is there for people to look at the other dogs. It's not a bad spot-nicer than my local humane society in Ontario.

I'm going in a few minutes to see her again and see if any others look promising. SO has resigned himself to the fact that I likely won't come home with her. There are a few others I like that would be far more appropriate but they aren't the bulldogs he wants. Not sure I want to face the wrath of choosing myself-even though he got to choose the bull terrier that we have coming when she weans her pups- and brought a $50000 truck home last month without so much as a heads up. Wouldn't be an issue if he didn't owe me a large sum of money already for bailing him out of financial ruin after his divorce. So a heads up would have been appreciated-since if he can afford a truck he could afford to pay that off faster. All my friends think it's perfectly fair! And I know he'd get over it if I brought a dog home but it might be ugly for a bit. I think he figures I'm going to eventually anyway.

Sorry-got a bit carried away! I want a dog now dammit! Going home tomorrow to an empty house is not in my plan. And no I'm not bring impulsive-it's been almost a month.