The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Does this look like a bulldog? At all?

An American bulldog obviously (not English or French). Long story and I'm not giving details (other than I hope to adopt her), as it may bias the replies, but I'll give them later I promise.

There are some other bulldogs that look far more classically bulldog, but here she is..............warning she's very thin. If she had more weight it might be easier to tell. To me she looks bulldog from the side and in the video. The front photo makes her look less so.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24336910

If she's not a bulldog, what is she? Or what is she crossed with?
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

She is very much an American bulldog -at least by look. You could probably get an AKC ILP on her. There are two types of American Bulldog -the Johnson and the Scott types. The Scott type is leggier, the Johnson type looks very bullish. Without being able to gauge her height, but by her face I'd say she's a Johnson type.

Video shows her as short. Johnson. Either way she's a very attractive AB.

JMO of course
    Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

1 members found this post helpful.

Definitely looks like an American bull dog, the color, face, and build all look like an ABD.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Id have to agree, if not all bulldog, she's got quite a bit in her!

3/3. You guys rock! You have no idea how happy I am that she's a recognizable bulldog. I'm not knowledgeable enough about them to recognize it for sure-too many different types in the pictures.

Now the next question . If she's a cross, what do you think with? I'm in Ontario and can't have a pit bull or staff. I've been told by my municipality's animal control officer that I should be fine as long as I have documentation she's a bulldog. I have also emailed her the ad as well to see what she says. I hope you're all right!

I have no idea what she is, but I hope that "owner" is cursed with disfiguring boils and exploding diarrhea.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

7 members found this post helpful.

It's hard to see past the ribs, that's for sure.

She definitely looks like a typical American Bulldog to me.

However, the problem is the general public usually doesn't recognize/know the difference between a pit bull, am staff, and american bulldog... so definitely have that paperwork at the ready incase your landlord/neighbors mistake her for a restricted breed.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

She looks like a pure bred AB. She looks, from the teats, like she's been on the wire. The past is the past -congratulations on your acquisitions. She looks like a wonderful dog and that's my unbiased opinion (I love bulldogs ).

Too bad you can't get an AKC ILP on her (they are not a recognized AKC breed) because that would settle everything.

ETA There seems to be a UKC equivalent of the AKC ILP called the limited privilege. The dog can be deemed of a certain breed if you provide pictures and proof of speuter. In the AKC the ILP allows you to compete in any competition without a best of breed award, I am sure the UKC it's a similar thing. That is a nice piece of paper to have perhaps when you have to prove your dog isn't a pit or staff (obviously to us, but to the unwashed masses)?

http://res.ukcdogs.com/pdf/lpapp.pdf

Paula

I researched the AKC ILP thing and noticed they aren't a recognized breed, but glad there is an alternative through the UKC (which I'll for sure be applying for if we adopt her). In the meantime this is what came back from our animal control officer.................
    "Moe although she resembles a pit her head is different, very round at the top she looks somewhat bulldog/boxer cross. I would say she looks like an American Bulldog for sure."

So that's another hurdle to not worry about-if they are on my side. The next thing will be (assuming all goes well tomorrow, is getting her across the border without a problem). I hope I didn't jinx it and am trying not to get my hopes up! Will update as things progress.

And PS please nobody snag her before I do. My SO would be devastated...........this is the first dog he's been interested in since our other one passed over the Rainbow Bridge.

I wouldn't bring a pit bull type into a BSL area. That's just asking for heartbreak. It's impossible to prove that a shelter dog is or is not any breed, and this dog looks like a pit bull. Sure, it looks like an American Bulldog too, but that's like saying my dog, a presumed Beardie mix, also looks like a Border Collie - it's pretty much the same thing, when you're talking about members of the same general type. One animal control officer's opinion isn't enough to stake the dog's life on, IMO.

6 members found this post helpful.

2 members found this post helpful.

And those are presumably two dogs which meet their breeds' standards. Virtually none of the people breeding pit bulls are striving for a registration standard, and the size and look are all over the map. I'm not saying the OP's photos are of a pit bull, I'm saying there's no way to prove the dog isn't pit or part pit, and the claim that this individual looks more like one "bully" breed than another is a thin argument and poor protection for your pet if you live in an area with BSL in effect.

6 members found this post helpful.

Those are things I've been thinking of for sure. A bulldog breeder I've been talking with has given me some information regarding how to document to avoid issues, as their dogs are mistaken for pits all the time. But I'm still a bit concerned (obviously) as she could be mistaken easily I'm sure. Even I questioned it. Wouldn't it be nice if she was a puppy mill dog with papers? I suppose the shelter would have mentioned it. Sigh.......

With the BSL in your area, I would be a little concerned that you might run in to trouble with her without papers (such as UKC registration for her)

Boxer may be in there just a bit too. But I see AB though and though. Its hard to see her weight from the angles and the fact that she is so thin.

With BSL it doesn't matter what you or any educated dog person *thinks* she looks like if you cannot prove with 100% certainty that she is not a pit. BSL is absurd but its a reality. I see AB all the time listed as staffies, boxer mixes, etc. I think she is adorable and is most likely an AB but I don't know if I'd sign up for the heartbreak if I lived in an area with BSL.

You can always DNA test her. It takes about three weeks, but it's worth it to erase doubt.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    You can always DNA test her. It takes about three weeks, but it's worth it to erase doubt.
    Do you mean DNA tests such as this one?

I think you can make a case that the head shape and ear set are not pit bullish, but more straight bulldog type, as in ABs.

I think that anyone that shows dogs can explain the differences, if you get questioned.

When in those situations, with breed specific laws, the most important you can do is to be an absolute perfect dog owner and as considerate of everyone else, that may be scared of your dog or even antagonistic just because of what they think.
    Then it is time to be extremely polite and bend over backwards as much as you can, while defending your dog also.

We had that problem years ago when we had dobies and even our neighbor would say he could not come by because he was scared of them.
    Mind you, they were obedience show dogs and nursing home therapy dogs!

You can't fight that others are scared, but you are already working thru the system right, so you can still have her.

Best of luck to all of you.