The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default He's HOME!!!!! Jingles for my kitten that got out of the house this morning

I am having a super stressful day, and to top it off, my poor husband left the door open and our semi-feral young cat got out. The cat did come flying back around trying to get in the house, but the doors were closed and he took off. This was a feral kitten that we trapped with his brothers and sisters and decided to keep him. He is hunkered down in the shed thank goodness, but we live on a busy road and I am worried he could get spooked. I am sitting in my office with the other animals barricaded elsewhere in the house and the door open for the cat to come back in. Problem is, I do not think he will cross the yard in broad daylight. We are supposed to go out with some friends who are moving tonight, so I really hope he is back before then. I did see him in the shed, but he totally panics - like he doesn't even recognise me - so picking him up is not an option.

Jingles for his safe return would be greatly appreciated - he is my little buddy and I worked so hard to rescue him and his mother, father and siblings...

Here is little Harry Potter Ryan (he's not so little now at almost a year old, but still a kitten to me):
    http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ps53e6901e.jpg

1-6-13 - 4 months after he went missing, he is purring on my lap! Update on last post.
    Last edited by witherbee; Jan. 9, 2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: happy update

Ugh - I hate when this happens! I have 2 that go wild when the get outside - it's like they forget who I am. Can you put a can of food inside the threshold? Or lock him in the shed until he gets hungry & approachable? Jingles he comes home!

I second the food idea. Also, what if you took his bed (that is HIS, right? ) and put it out there with him. It'll smell like "home" and could be retrieved later once you've trapped his furry hiney.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Unfortunatly he is not food driven at all. I cannot close him in - the shed is open all over the place - it's basically an old chicken coop and garage that we use for storage.

I think the main issues are that he got loose when it was dark, and now that it is light he feels too exposed to come out. Other big issue is that I have 3 other ferals out there and one domestic outdoor cat. His mom and dad are out there, Jack Sparrow the one-eyed feral, and my fluffy cat Peaches. I think he is afraid of them too. Jack would chase him as would Peaches (I think).

I will take some cold cuts out and sit there to see if he'll come. Problem is, if he comes I don't think he will let me catch him. I don't have a trap and he really reverts to feral outside, so not sure I could carry him over to the house...

Thanks for the suggestions and support. I think he will be home when it gets dark, so looks like I will be missing dinner with friends tonight....

As long as he comes in I will be happy - he's so sweet. I see his feral mom and dad and it makes me sad that they were not loved. I bet they would be as sweet as him if they had been handled. Same with Captain Jack - he seems scary and mean, but is starting to meow when he sees me with the food and even follows me around the yard. He gets about 3 feet from me. Harry's feral mother actually gets on my lap if I sit on the steps, but FREAKS if I try to pick her up... Maybe over time I can desensitize her to that.

I'll update when there is news (hopefully GOOD news!).

If you can get close enough to scoop him up, a pillow case, makes a great place to plop one for transport into the house. That's how I got a couple of feral mom cats in order to get them to the vet for spaying. (Transferred from pillowcase to carrier).

No shot to get close enough. My only hope is to somehow herd him towards the house and he'll run in and hide under the bed. Left the door open all day with the other animals shut away in the other part of the house. No luck. Cannot find him at all in the shed so he is either hiding really good or is not in there. Left the door open and tried to make it more inviting to run towards the house, but now luck. Will try when it is dark in the morning if I can get my husband to not scare him away. This is not good - I really am worried about the little bugger.

To top it off, one of my dogs is evidently incontinent - need to figure out which one - basically flooded my bedroom floor which I stepped in because I left the light off (hubby was already asleep). It's either the old Chessie or the Corgi. Both are on anti-biotics and prednisone for hot spots, so its' probably the prednisone. The Chessie has been drinkin a lot, so maybe her. Weird because neither of them EVER have accidents in the house and neither of them "asked" to go out...

Jingle jingle for poor Harry. Things are so stressful with my job, and to have this going on is really freaking me out. I just pray he runs in when my husband gets up in the morning or during the night.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Jingles that Harry finds his way from shed to nice, safe house.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I caught a feral kitten once who was stubbornly resisting the food and trap by "fishing" for him around a corner. Even though he was alone and terrified (had already caught his entire family a few days before; he was the hold out and wasn't going in the box that made them all disappear, not even for tuna), he still had some play in him when he didn't realize I was there. If you spot where he is, you might try a lunging whip or something, then slowly switching to closer range. Be ready on the grab, though; you will only get one shot at it. And wear heavy gloves.

Thanks all - no sign of him at all today. I sure miss my little buddy - he normally cuddles on my lap while I work. I really was hoping he'd be looking to come in early this morning. After work I'm going to go sit out in the shed with a book and just wait to see if he comes out...

Jingling like mad that Harry comes home. I would imagine that there is food out there, for the other feral cats? If not, be sure to put some out for him. Maybe, with time, he will come to where the food is and you can figure out a way to catch him then.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Harry is still missing and I just have a strong feeling that he is not in the shed. I did hear a cat fight the night before last - I think Capt'n Jack is keeping him out of his territory. I sat half the night with some really smelly cat food and a humane trap, but no sign of him. Will try one more barn over - my neighbor told me that these folks are not home and took their dogs away, so I will see if he is in their barn.

This is just awful - I miss him so much and just thinking of him out there all alone breaks my heart. No one touched the food that I left at the neighbor's barn.

To add to the mess, Cap'n Jack crossed the street when I was talking to some folks out in our driveway. It is a super busy street where they drive around 50 to 60 MPH, so I am really bothered that he goes there. I hope he makes it back accross ok!

Unhappy

I was sooo hoping he came home. Trying to think cat psychology here - my cats love to do what they're not supposed to....what if you crack the front door without leaving it wide open? Do you think he would come in through a window? My last thought is completely stupid, but I have a dvd called video cat nip....it has various nature sounds & bird sounds & my cats love it - come running when they hear it. Maybe if you google bird sounds & play it over your pc, phone - whatever - you might get his attention. He is probably just hunkered down somewhere. Silly kitty - GO HOME!!!!!

Jingling for the kitty to get his furry bum home!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Oh, I hope he gets home safely! Our cats are all indoors only, but my son's cat has gotten out twice in her 8+ years. Since she has so little experience being "int he wild", it terrifies her and despite how much she loves my son, she will not come to him (or anyone).

We have used a humane trap on both occasions and it did the trick both times. The first time she was gone for four days and the second time she was gone for two days.
    Sheilah

I am really feeling so sad and discouraged. I have th ehumane trap, but don't even know where to put it. I checkout out our shed, the neighbors barn and also the property beyond that farm. It just doesn't feel like he is there. I put the trap out and no luck. If I put it at my farm or the closest neighbors, I'll just catch the other ferals.

This is just so heartbreaking. I miss my boy and worry about him out there all alone. The not knowing is the worst.

Hoping kitty comes home safe and soon.

I had a similar situation a few years back--a rescued feral who had become my indoor buddy got out, panicked when he couldn't get back in, and took off. I combed the woods and barns for him, but didn't feel like he was there, period. I put up notices and kept in touch with the shelters, but since I lived on the edge of the woods, I figured he was gone, gone.

Two weeks later, I heard a 'meow' on the porch. I didn't see him, but put his brother in the bathroom and opened up all the doors around the house, and not five minutes later, he slunk back in, a few pounds lighter, but none the worse for wear.

Wishing that kind of outcome for you and yours, with all my heart.
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

Jess h - I keep thinkling that might happen - that he'll just show up. Unfortunately it is all up to him at this point. I really hope he just shows up. I must have been dreaming about him last night - woke up from a sounds sleep and ran to the door thinking he was there....

Jingles for Harry Potter Ryan to come home soon!!!

My three kitties and I send ENORMOUS amounts of jingles for Harry to get his adorable little self home!
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Witherbee, another COTHer jingling for you...I have been checking this thread, hoping for good news. I would be so distressed if mine slipped out, I can imagine how stressed you are. Hoping for Harry's return soon!
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."