The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have always lived pretty far below my means and saved/ invested. My horse activities will not be impacted at all. These was a time when I had to work a full time job and a part time job to meet expenses. I have made sure since those days that I would not have to do that again.

Times are all relative. I graduated from college and got my first adult job with rampant inflation. My first house mortgage was at 14% w/ 20 % down.

4 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

The Congress made permanent many tax credits/deductions that were in danger of rolling back or disappearing. The SS deduction returns to levels last seen in 2009 (2% more than last year). Yes, your "take home" pay will be slightly less. Your income could have been much lower had the other tax measures been allowed to expire.

What will I do? Continue to budget for horse related activities, asking myself "can I really afford to do this?" I will save, shop wisely for products, not buy on impulse, sell off some stuff I have hanging around and plunk that $$ down in my hay fund. You know, what most people do, year in and year out.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

My husband's first paycheck in 2013 was deposited today and it was a bit less than his last one...and that was after his 3% increase/raise was figured in...so his pay raise went to pay the new taxes. SIGH...at least we didn't lose much...luckier than some but still a kick in the shorts. Bend over, here it comes again...

Hard to predict how my local food business will fare. If folks are hurting they will have less to spend and I will probably lose business. I'm introducing heritage pork this year and scaling back on poultry which is a lot of work and lower margins. I'm slowly growing the beef herd but it takes time.

I haven't bred any horses for two years and I think we're done. Considering gelding my younger stallion and not sure what to do with the older boy (24). So far we're OK...affording feed all right but I've been practically giving horses away compared to prices a few years ago. There's just No way to make money or even cover costs. I want to keep reducing numbers and am probably officially folding that part of my business for good.

It was a life dream to breed nice horses and it kills me to do it...but I won't breed more horses the way things are now. I don't see it getting any better. I wish I could see a vision of improvement in the economy but I see a big mess coming as nothing really has been done about the debt and I am sure the economy will continue to shrink after tax increases like this one. We are on our way to a major fiscal crisis...I have no doubt...I just don't know how long we have until we get there.

We'll continue to cut horse numbers as we can place them. We'll try and focus on fun stuff like camping and trail riding and probably not compete much. I need a new saddle and will try and figure out how to budget that in so my nice gelding has one that actually fits him right. Unfortunately he'll need a custom saddle most likely.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Point is that folks will have less take-home pay, so will have to either reduce the amount they are saving each month (never a good idea), or reduce expenditures. For probably darned near everyone involved with horses, that means cutting back on *horse related* expenditures. Bottom line is that less money will get pumped into the equine industry, and everyone providing goods or services in the industry will feel the pinch.

And I love how they have entitled it the "American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012". Taxpayer RELIEF? What a joke!
    There was bipartisan support for extending the payroll tax holiday another year, and it was part of the President's original proposal, but the Speaker of the House would not bring it to a vote there without tying it to the tax cuts for very high income households.

Certainly I'll miss that money and probably I would have spent it on a horse show or some farm improvements if we'd had another year of it, but I always understood it was temporary and was glad to have it in 2011. I do think it was a very effective and appropriate stimulus, and I hope both the horse and not-horse economy is strong enough to do without it for 2013.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    There was bipartisan support for extending the payroll tax holiday another year, and it was part of the President's original proposal, but the Speaker of the House would not bring it to a vote there without tying it to the tax cuts for very high income households.
    Uh, he wouldn't bring it to a vote without tying it to a REAL plan for debt reduction, but Obama - arrogant as always - refused to consider reduction of debt. He and his minions apparently intend to spend us into oblivion. Maybe the Chinese will buy us out.

What is this "raise" of which people speak?? Psh, I'd count myself lucky to get 1% -- which, oh wait, we did get several years ago. But then they increased our insurance premiums so it exceeded the "raise." Our governor treats us so well...and by well I mean, "like indentured servants only worse."

The SS cut was temporary and I felt it was a mistake to begin with. I wish they would set aside the social security fund, away from the general fund, as it should be and stop dicking with it. In fact, if we young 'uns want social security, we would probably have to agree to pay more.

We'll have a decent chunk lost to the restoration of the SS tax but that just means we'll eat out less. We sure have done our part to contribute to the economy, so we will contribute a little less.

The whole point of the cut was so that it would help the economy, figuring if you had a bit more in your pocket it would go back into the economy. It sounds like it worked if people took a few more lessons, went to a few more shows etc. Just as it was intended. Now it is time to go back to saving for our future, as we should have been all along. Or I should say, allowing the government to take out money that is meant for the future and steal it for the general fund.

2 members found this post helpful.

With DH and I both working FT and trying to plan for the future when he retires in 2017 to begin his second (third?) career as a FT cowboy, I'm in a wait-n-see phase. We are fine now, paying a healthy mortgage and boarding three horses (Odie gets to live with Rory for free, which is awesome because my BO rocks), vehicles etc, we definitely aren't lacking at the moment.

But we're putting the house on the market in a week or two, moving forward with our plans to buy and build in the next three years, soooooo... Who knows what will happen? I do all the financing, so I just make sure money stays in the savings account and all the bills are paid; we can certainly cut back if necessary.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

we're putting our place on the market also, and i may have a home for my youngster with a friend. my older mare will remain boarded until and unless we find a rental i want to take her to.

I get a .45% raise the end of this month. Whoo-eeeee! I guess it's better than a pay cut, I am looking at cutting household expense again. Will drop tv and internet. I've had a lot of horse gear for sale but no one is buying. Also, nothing new is coming in this house unless it's truly needed. Repair and reuse is my motto!!!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher View Post
    The SS cut was temporary and I felt it was a mistake to begin with. I wish they would set aside the social security fund, away from the general fund, as it should be and stop dicking with it. In fact, if we young 'uns want social security, we would probably have to agree to pay more.

We'll have a decent chunk lost to the restoration of the SS tax but that just means we'll eat out less. We sure have done our part to contribute to the economy, so we will contribute a little less.

The whole point of the cut was so that it would help the economy, figuring if you had a bit more in your pocket it would go back into the economy. It sounds like it worked if people took a few more lessons, went to a few more shows etc. Just as it was intended. Now it is time to go back to saving for our future, as we should have been all along. Or I should say, allowing the government to take out money that is meant for the future and steal it for the general fund.
    I wish the Bush tax cuts never happened. Everyone is so quick to blame Obama. My family is doing fine and I have more money now that I have a decent job again which I lost at the end of Bush's term. Everything is relative. I remember when I bought my first condo and interest rates were 14% too. Boehner and the other Republicans in the House are just as arrogant. As a life-long Republican, I could no longer support the direction the GOP is going. I am a moderate and there is no party for me anymore.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    I get a .45% raise the end of this month. Whoo-eeeee! I guess it's better than a pay cut, I am looking at cutting household expense again. Will drop tv and internet. I've had a lot of horse gear for sale but no one is buying. Also, nothing new is coming in this house unless it's truly needed. Repair and reuse is my motto!!!
    Lots of people are buying horse gear if it is priced right.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    I wish the Bush tax cuts never happened. Everyone is so quick to blame Obama. My family is doing fine and I have more money now that I have a decent job again which I lost at the end of Bush's term. Everything is relative. I remember when I bought my first condo and interest rates were 14% too. Boehner and the other Republicans in the House are just as arrogant. As a life-long Republican, I could no longer support the direction the GOP is going. I am a moderate and there is no party for me anymore.
    Imagine if we had not had the Bush tax cuts combined with a few wars? And social security had been kept separate as it should have been? And then imagine what shape we might be in if instead, we slowly started cutting spending. But instead, stupid cuts, stupid expenditures, the rich getting richer....

6 members found this post helpful.

and imagine if the unfunded Medicare D benefit had included the ability to negotiate drug prices the way the VA system does. (Interesting how it is only now that politicians are saying things like "Oh we can't do storm relief without offsetting the cost.")