The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Boarding and Training for showjumper in Middleburg, Upperville.

Hello,

I'm searching for a showjumping trainer in the N. VA area. I need boarding/training for my 2 young jumpers (5 and 6yrs old) and I need training as I am still a novice in the sport.
    Cheers!

Joe Fargis!

1 members found this post helpful.

Joe Fargis, Middleburg, of course, although he will be at WEF during the winter.

Alexa Lowe Wiseman, Windsor Farm, Upperville. She will be at WEF this winter. http://www.windsorfarm.net/home

Silvio Mazzoni, Keyna Run, Aldie. http://www.keynarun.com/

Gavin Moylan, Leesburg. He will be at WEF this winter. http://www.gavinshorses.com

Ginny Edwards, Hidden Hollow Farm, Upperville. She will be at WEF. http://hidden-hollow.com/about/

Denise DeRisio Perry, Skyland Farm, Middleburg. She will be at WEF. http://skylandfarm.wordpress.com/

Jess Fortin, Cut to the Chase Farm, Upperville. http://www.jessfortin.com/Pages/default.aspx

These are eventors, but they certainly know how to do a showjump course:

Allison Springer, at Beverly Equestrian, The Plains. http://www.allisonspringer.com/lessons-and-training/

Lynn Symansky, Middleburg. http://www.symanskyequestrian.com/

Phylllis Dawson, Windchase Farm, Purcellville. http://www.teamwindchase.com/
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

5 members found this post helpful.

SSR gave you a nice list. I would like to add one more, a young lady named Dorna Taintor. Great backround, good rider, nice person. She is in Waterford which I believe is sort of between Leesburg and Middleburg on the map. She has a website.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 14-16, 2014

2 members found this post helpful.

Hands down Joe Fargis...No questions asked.. The others, while still good, don't even come close to him.

I have heard Joe is cutting back on his business, but haven't heard it from him directly. Katie Prudent is also in Middleburg.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Ah, oops, yes, I forgot Dorna, sorry. Her website is http://www.bel-montfarm.com/.

Katie, of course, is amazing, but she isn't "at home" in Middleburg very much - she is in Europe or on the road showing most of the year.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Quote Originally Posted by chunky munky View Post
    SSR gave you a nice list. I would like to add one more, a young lady named Dorna Taintor. Great backround, good rider, nice person. She is in Waterford which I believe is sort of between Leesburg and Middleburg on the map. She has a website.
    I second Dorna as well. I trained with her when she first moved down the VA, and she was a real confidence builder, both for me and the horse. Very easy going gal with a good head on her shoulders.
    There's coffee in that nebula.

All the options listed here are great choices. Some remain in the area more than do others, even when they return from the winter circuits, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any mentioned.

Dorna is a former training assistant of Joe Fargis; though totally independent, she still receives coaching from him on occasion. She has a beautiful facility in Waterford.

Another couple of choices not mentioned are Eight Oaks (Johnny and Kitty Barker) who now have a lovely rider, Shannon O'Brien working as their training assistant.

Guy and Tiffany Cambria, formerly with Eight Oaks, are now on their own at Code 4 Show Stables, behind Ginny Edwards off of Airmont at Belle Grey Farm in Upperville. Guy backed our young horse (we are next door to Eight Oaks) and she just spent a month with him, and we are very pleased with her progress.

Quote Originally Posted by JaggerDSZ View Post
    Hello,

I'm searching for a showjumping trainer in the N. VA area. I need boarding/training for my 2 young jumpers (5 and 6yrs old) and I need training as I am still a novice in the sport.
    Cheers!
    Please forgive my boldness and without intending to be rude, what are you really looking for? Are you looking for regular Olympic caliber training for you or your horses at this point or are you looking for someone to help achieve more modest goals in the near term? Are you comfortable paying $4-6K+ per month per horse for training/showing/etc. (at least double this if you follow some of these folks to WEF) or is $1000-1200 for training per horse per month more in line with your expectations? Are you looking for full service (you drive up and get on a fully groomed, tacked up horse) or a more "hands on" experience? Are your horses Grand Prix prospects or nice 3' horses? Are your horses unbroke or do they already have significant training/showing experience? Are you looking for someone to put a solid 60-90 days training on your horses or someone to compete them through the young horse classes and beyond?

Knowing this would help filter through some of the recommendations and possibly save you some time and angst.

Before everyone jumps on me, ask yourself if it's really helpful to direct a self-professed "novice" with a couple young horses to Olympic and/or international riders/trainers without any other information? Last time I checked, some of these folks weren't in the least bit interested in accepting young horses for training (regardless of talent or existing experience level).
    Last edited by Bent Hickory; Jan. 3, 2013 at 06:06 PM.
    "That is why you have a pony..." - Edgewood, 2011

5 members found this post helpful.

Default I have a question for everyone on here...

I know Joe is a great rider and trainer. But when people looking for someone to work with horses these days and people recommend: Joe, Margie, Norman, Etc... "Hands down use these people only!!!"

How are we supposed to replace these people as top trainers if other up and coming good riders and trainers aren't given a chance?

Look at our Olympic team for a great example of how far we have fallen. We no longer send our best riders, just the one's with crazy deep pockets.....

Rant over....
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by grandprixjump View Post
    I know Joe is a great rider and trainer. But when people looking for someone to work with horses these days and people recommend: Joe, Margie, Norman, Etc... "Hands down use these people only!!!"

How are we supposed to replace these people as top trainers if other up and coming good riders and trainers aren't given a chance?

Look at our Olympic team for a great example of how far we have fallen. We no longer send our best riders, just the one's with crazy deep pockets.....

Rant over....
    What Olympic team are you talking about? The one with McLain and Beezie and Rich Fellers? They look like pretty good riders to me, even if things didn't go their way this year in London, and the fourth member won her way onto the team. They all won their way onto the team, as a matter of fact.

It looks like people have recommended a wide variety of trainers, and the OP can decide which one will work the best.

If you don't mind crossing over to eventing Allison Springer is a wonderful trainer, rider, and horsewoman. She is definitely one of my idols.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Default Alright...

Super League Promotional Tour......
    Last edited by grandprixjump; Jan. 4, 2013 at 07:34 AM.
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rockfish View Post
    I second Dorna as well. I trained with her when she first moved down the VA, and she was a real confidence builder, both for me and the horse. Very easy going gal with a good head on her shoulders.
    I ride with Dorna currently and 100% recommend her. The program, care, and facilities are all amazing. She has done a fantastic job with my young horse.
    "A canter is the cure for every evil."

I ride some with Jenn Tirrell (eventer struggling to improve her show jumping) and I also manage Locochee, where she does the bulk of her business. Feel free to PM me for more info on either Jenn and her training and teaching or questions regarding Locochee.

Not a bold question at all and thank you for asking.
    Both horses are broke and are currently being ridden by 2 trainers and myself.
    I ride the 6 year old primarily as he is being held back to accommodate me. The younger horse is a grand prix prospect and the decision was made to allow him to develop to his maximum potential.

I will be moving to the VA area after April. My goal is to find a trainer that can continue to train my horses and work with me. I'd prefer a full service location and a facility with some acreage or at least the ability to ride out.

We currently live in South Florida and having had the good fortune to ride/live in N. VA. i'd like to provide myself and my horses the ability to not only develop as show jumpers but have the ability to ride out in the beautiful VA country.

I'm not averse to paying the fees quoted and would be interested in someone training my youngest horse to compete through the young horse classes and beyond.

Both horses are at WEF for the season.

BTW my excuse for not thanking you all for such helpful information.
    I wasn't aware that I had received so many posts until today. I guess i'm a novice with the Chronicle forum as well but hopefully not a novice with good manners to thank you all for such valued info.

2 members found this post helpful.

If you're spending time at WEF this winter, that gives you an opportunity to observe many of the people mentioned here, and see who might suit your needs the best.

Lots of options available- that's a good problem to have. Good luck!

I would like to recommend Dustin and Michelle Craig in White Post. I was a working student for them summer of '09. Great people! Dusty is awesome with young horses and Michelle is a wonderful teacher. The training and care with them is top notch. IMO $1200/month for training with them is a deal!

www.westwindequine.com
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"