The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default You call that playing? Lazy players

My old lady cat plays.... but only if a cord passes by where she is lying down.

Can you top that for a sorry demonstration of the killer instinct?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Must be something about old lady cats. Mine would get into the high back arm chair, turn over onto her back and go for the string draped over the high back.

Truthfully, I think it s arthritis that made her do that. Upside down she could stretch out those legs without too much effort.

Mine has plenty of arthritis, too. Upside down works for her.

She's also good at shifting gears from Kill to Love and back to Kill. She looks you in the eye to ask which is it is. I like it when she takes the initiative to go to Kill. It reminds me that she still has chutzpah.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Mine (rip Mischief) never killed anything in her life, animate or inanimate. She did bring home her hunting trophies for me, live birds that she released in the house (and boy, were they mad) and butterflies, who sadly wouldn't make it because she inevitably put a hole in their wings.
    But she was a fantastically playful cat, she self entertained as well.
    Enjoy your old lovely. Is she getting something nice for Christmas? A cardboard box is always good.

My middle aged man loves to play with his Mr Mouse toy when I put it directly beside him. He will grab it with his front paws and kick it to death with his back paws. Other than that, he very occasionally rumbles with the doormat but that's about it.

All. Four. of mine flat refused to kill the mouse that made it into the dining room. They did inform us that there was a mouse. Mouse (poor thing) was quaking in fear, and almost ran over the feet of my Oliver.

Thinking about Meupatdoes, after uselessly urging them to kill it, I finally picked it up with leather gloves on and put it outside. Useless kitties.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chall View Post
    Mine (rip Mischief) never killed anything in her life, animate or inanimate. She did bring home her hunting trophies for me, live birds that she released in the house (and boy, were they mad) and butterflies, who sadly wouldn't make it because she inevitably put a hole in their wings.
    But she was a fantastically playful cat, she self entertained as well.
    Enjoy your old lovely. Is she getting something nice for Christmas? A cardboard box is always good.
    Thanks for asking!

Catness was indirectly part of a little bit of family healing.

(This is a long and boring story.... but the cat's present is at the end and pretty good.)

So my sister has never had much use for me, IMO. The expectation was that all of us travel to her-- my animals' care be damned. As Old Lady has become more high-maintenance with diabetes and some other stuff that requires daily management (and as Old Horse needed to stay 3,000 miles from me), it really chapped my hide that my own "family" was getting screwed by this plan... and that by traveling to sister's, I was consenting.

Sister, however, was thoughtful enough to give me a Christmas present for each absent animal.

Catness got two handmade, organic catnip balls. One was for home, and one was for travel, as this cat was dragged across the country with me. She became an accomplished Truck Cat-- something I have always wanted.

The "travel" catnip bag had cloth that had both Route 66 and some town called Horse Springs on printed on the part my sister used. How incredibly thoughtful was that?

ETA: Did you ever discuss with your cat that she had contributed to the death of the butterflies, even if she didn't deliver the final blow? You know, sorting out the influence of multiple causes on one outcome is a complicated project. There are whole branches of mathematics devoted to it. Maybe your cat should read up.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    All. Four. of mine flat refused to kill the mouse that made it into the dining room. They did inform us that there was a mouse. Mouse (poor thing) was quaking in fear, and almost ran over the feet of my Oliver.

Thinking about Meupatdoes, after uselessly urging them to kill it, I finally picked it up with leather gloves on and put it outside. Useless kitties.
    OK, killing on command is not play.

You have misunderstood the work/play distinction and underestimated the sophistication and historical depth of the Cat Labor Movement.

Let me explain: When you choose to garden or knit (and spend money doing it), it's play. When you work on farm or in a sweater factory, it's work. These are the models that cats use to justify what their position. Our own history of exploiting agricultural workers and laboring classes (the cats paid particular attention to Britain's early-19th century industrial revolution), pointed out the clear danger of agreeing to hunt on demand. Also, it is illegal in the cat world to hold out a sign that says, "Will hunt for food." They might do it, but they aren't allowed to advertise the fact to Management.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

My old lady is a roll-over player too, as long as whatever being offered is easily within reach. Exertion only comes when chasing bugs: spiders, flies, and her all-time favorite to-catch-and-to-eat prey, house centipedes.

Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post
    My old lady is a roll-over player too, as long as whatever being offered is easily within reach. Exertion only comes when chasing bugs: spiders, flies, and her all-time favorite to-catch-and-to-eat prey, house centipedes.
    Yikes! Can I borrow her? I've found a few house centipedes recently and my male cat just ignores them! He is a useless hunter!

Quote Originally Posted by MumboJumbo View Post
    Yikes! Can I borrow her? I've found a few house centipedes recently and my male cat just ignores them! He is a useless hunter!
    Sure, but only if you can stand the sight of a few legs dangling from her mouth, sticking to her chin hairs. She's total crap against ants, but I hear one of their defense mechanisms is a bitter taste.

My best mouser was a cat who never moved unless he had to, never missed a meal if he could avoid it, and had the physique to match. He would go to sleep outside mouse holes. Three or four hours later, when the mouse finally emerged - POW! That pudgy kitty arm could snake out unbelievably quickly.

My best hunter was a male so lazy and stupid (like a fox) that he'd fall off window sills after he drifted to sleep. But, man, that cat could catch bird mid-flight, should the spirit move him.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I've got one of my kitties that is a relatively lazy player. She'll drag her wand toy to me 24/7, but when I start moving it, she shows disinterest. HOWEVER, bring in a "live" toy, and she's ALL over it! I once had two birds (at different times) enter my house through my dryer vent, while I was trying to get them out of the tube. Stupid birds decided my house was safer than the great outdoors, and emerged. My cat LOVED me for bringing her such an amazing toy! She's also good for baby snakes, geckos, and crickets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-1 Early Winter 42.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	37455

I am my cat's toy.

She sits by the side of the couch and cries until I pick up a ribbon and drag it through the cracks in between the cushions. Once she strips it from my hands she looks at it disdainfully laying on the floor and cries for me to pick it up again.

Which I do. I know my place.
    Every one of them had that look of a girl infatuated with horses, the happy, fated look of a passenger setting sail on the Titanic.