The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Questions on breeding the unregistered mare (from a breeding newbie)

I apologize in advance if this has already been covered somewhere.....

I am relatively new to breeding and am starting to look at building a broodmare herd. I have the opportunity to purchase a lovely young Dutch/Trakhener mare. She is everything I would want to breed - gaits, jump, conformation, and brain are all superb. However, she isn't registered. I've been told by several competent WB breeders that she would have no problem being approved upon inspection by any of the breed associations, but there's that pesky no papers thing....

My question is, would I have any options to register the foal if I bred her? Are there certain registries that will inspect non-papered mares?

My fear is, if I breed this mare and wind up with a lovely filly, and in turn want to breed that filly, am I creating a line of horses that can never be registered? This mare is a blast under saddle and will certainly have an impressive career, but I'd like to buy something I can show AND breed.

The only registry I am aware of that will register a non-registered mare is AWS. If this mare was eligible for registration in some registry and it simply wasn't ever done, you may still be able to do that. I got a mare registered with AHS who was eligible but through oversight, had missed out.
    Last edited by clint; Jan. 2, 2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com