The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Embracing winter...anyone else?

So I watched a programme on TV that said Canadians are in denial about winter...we need to embrace it like other northern countries do. My New Year's resolution is to embrace winter instead of b#$ch about it.
    First thing; stop watching the weather channel....I can figure out what to wear by looking out the window! If in doubt...layers...
    I'm on day 2, and its working! I didn't feel cold and miserable at all this am...even though its pretty brisk out. I even worked a horse OUTSIDE!
    Check in with me in Mar.though, so if its still working

I bought some extra warm clothes and socks, and was warm at the barn yesterday. Doesn't mean I like it .
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I LOVE winter!!!! I a member of a group who keeps our secret because complaining about summer just isn't done.

But oh the glory of cold, crisp air. Wind that stings your cheeks and tingles. Snow...beautiful sparkly snow. The deep stillness. The dark. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!

Is that what they mean by embracing?

FWIW...I have always loved winter. Spent 8 to 10 hours a day ice skating outside when I was a kid. -10 meant nothing to me...no hat or gloves!

1 members found this post helpful.

Well...you might be a little too enthusiastic....

6 members found this post helpful.

There is a lot of seriously good cold-weather gear available (look on running websites!) that will keep you toasty warm.
    ezduzit is 100% dead on balls accurate--it's such a great time to ride and be outdoors in general. So hushed and beautiful. Rode yesterday in 15*F (-5* windchill) and had a great time. Cantering across a big snowy field, brilliant sunshine, hearing the crisp 3-beat rhythm in the crunchy snow, horse in a bright mood with ears perked forward. That beats a hot summer ride, hands down.
    Get out there, you will feel great for having done so.

2 members found this post helpful.

Y'all are my heroes. I despise winter. My horse is awful in the cold, so I don't ride when it gets under 15*. I'm probably just using it as an excuse to wouss out because I'm too cold.

Ok, fine. Not probably. I am.

I can't wait to move!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Actually, I'm 'embracing' winter. For the first time in whenever, I'm liking this white stuff and the cold.

Like the OP, we don't watch or listen to the weather channel that much. If white stuff is falling out of the sky, it's snowing, so bundle up. If you start shivering while outside, it must be really cold, so bundle up. If you see the sun, you have clear sky. If you see dark, menacing clouds to the west, a storm is coming. If you can't see the mountains due to the menacing clouds to the west, a bad storm is coming.

See, it's all really very simple.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

I don't, at my age, embrace winter...but I am embracing my wood stove
    Big Time
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Well, I just did my stalls and it's 12 degrees at 1 in the afternoon...

So, no. I'm not in an embracing mood right now. Maybe when I thaw out.

Embracing it? Hell no. I'm doing my best to ignore it. Not working.

2 members found this post helpful.

I wish I could embrace it, and I cant even tell you how bad, I wish I could.

I grew up in San Diego, and lived in a couple of places with seasons but not classic winters... and then I moved to New England! There are mornings (usually the ones where there's a foot of snow in the driveway, or the temp is below 0 degrees F and the wind is howling) where I wish I was still in San Diego. And I am cold from November to May, pretty much. I spend a lot of time in the tub with the bathroom heater turned on.

That said, I love riding in the snow, I love that the mare is more energetic once she warms up, and I know that when I am done with the cold, I can go indoors and it will be warmer, if not exactly warm.

A friend of mine who's in the "Big M" and having constant hot flashes says that winter is when she's most comfortable.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I'd embrace it a lot more if my car could get unstuck from the ice and snow in my driveway. It's been stuck for two weeks now and it's very expensive having to drive the 4WD pickup to work. Of course, the ice is so bad on the 3 miles of hilly road between home and the main road that I'm not sure the car would make it anyway.

We typically don't get much snow here so it's not usually an issue. This year we've been hammered by storm after storm - snow, rain, freezing fog. It's been a real PITA.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

considering there are no decent cold weather clothes for sale (that are not Mossy oak), and we have currently like 2 inches of mud in front of the door (would be more I am sure, but hard pan does not get muddy...)

I find it hard to embrace it.

But I try.

But I can see how I would deny it, if half the year was winter...heck, we do that around here with summer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I'd embrace winter a lot more if I didn't have to drive through snow. I like to look at it, don't mind being cold (to a point) or shoveling it (also to a point), enjoy the perks of a warm fire and hot drinks, but absolutely dread driving through any accumulation of it and I've been a resident of upstate NY all my life....

I went to kohls after Xmas sale and bought multiple "cuddlesomethingorother" layering warmth encouraging clothes. I'm from Maine originally and I can say I don't miss THAT cold, but here with my warm layers I sweat to death riding in my outdoor.
    Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

There has to be people who love it, I am not one of them...I try not to whine as much as I used to, but the plain truth is, I hate it.

It is harder to embrace it when it lasts so long here in the North. I just dress for it and take it one day at a time.

If ya can't beat it, join it? Its going to happen whether I like it or not. Just trying to stay on top of it, not letting the cold deter me from keeping on top of the chores.

For instance, I used to just put the muck tubs off to the side, outside, until they were filled, and then dump them all at once. Well, I just dreaded doing that, so I'm making a resolution to dump them when each one gets full, so I'm not so inundated with tubs, and inevitably, it snows, and I have to trudge through that to dump 4 instead of 1.

I'm also trying to do the big stuff in the morning, when its light out, instead of procrastinating until evening, when its cold, dark, and I'm tired from work. Didn't work out for me this am. Hit the snooze so I have to do the stalls when I get home. Oh well. Tomorrow's another day to start new!

I live in WI, and I really hate winter. Really, really, really hate it. It makes everything with horses more difficult in general, and even more so with my horse in particular. He hates winter too, is a complete pill to be around, gets very ring sour and fresh in the winter, etc., etc., etc. YUCK.

I am pretty much unhappy and cold from December until at least mid-April. It was warm enough here on December 8 that I could still ride outside, and it made me very happy. However, it was 3 degrees F yesterday morning when I went out to the barn...so my delusions of being able to ride outside again anytime before Spring are over.