The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

this is such a good idea!! I could probably do some sort of physical labor here and there, send a casserole (or drive food)........

this would also help someone in my sort of position, things are really tight right now, but with food in the fridge and hay/grain in the barn, I wouldn't feel right taking help *right now*, yet in months to come?? if husband's disability runs out before he goes back to work AND I don't manage to sell pony, (and maybe filly) it will definitely be good to know that there's some place to go for a small hand up.

COTHers ROCK!!!

5 members found this post helpful.

I am in southern Louisiana and would be happy to help with emergency feed, labor, etc.

Jenm,
    I can't send a PM because your inbox is full!

I will be in the Ocala area today; is there anything I can do?

I'm in Maryland near Columbia and can be on call if/when help is needed (labor, hay, a bag of grain, etc.). Don't have much but will share what I can.

And, am happy to bring human food also.

If someone sends me or directs me to an address I am happy to send a bit of cash (just betting they would not like a casserole sent from montana!)

1 members found this post helpful.

Smile MD pup needs grain-free food and flea & tick preventative

May I suggest someone for assistance? I am a COTHer and my father's pup in MD needs a little help. My father is getting back on his feet after finally finding part time employment. His pup, his whole world, is not doing so great. For the whole story, I posted a thread in Menagerie.

I would love to set up Taste of the Wild (or something grain free and fishy) and flea & tick preventative. Heartworm prev requires a rx so I don't think we can do that.

Ricky is a 5lb Chihuahua so even just a 5lb or 15lb bag will last a while. Oh! And a 1/4c measuring cup! He's that little.

I volunteer myself in the Northern VA area for dogwalking & petsitting, cooking, cleaning, taking a walk or seeing a movie with a COTHer who needs a friend.
    Last edited by Bicoastal; Jan. 3, 2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Photos!

We will be on (in?) Fort Knox KY March 1st, and I would be more than happy to help with labor, human food (if you dare to eat my cooking), and driving.

We are in Fairfax, VT at the moment, and I'd be happy to help from here while I can!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Bicoastal, you have a PM...

COTH'ers are the best. Truly.

I'm in the Triad of NC and am available to help locally in a variety of ways. Add me to the list of "go to" folks if needed!
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

JenM empty your mailbox!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

We don't allow fundraising on the site for non-501c3 organizations, but we may be able to allow an organizational effort for volunteering to help out each other in other ways. I'll check in with the main office. If you don't hear back from me on this thread, please send me a PM to remind me.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

I just quit my job to go back to school, so I'm not necessarily a financial resource, but if anyone in Central Ohio needs barn help, or a friend, or a warm meal (I'm a helluva cook!), I'm available. And of course, if there's anyone who just needs to talk to someone for a bit, regardless of location, I'm happy to be a non-partial party to talk to.

I'm going back to school to get my Master's in Social Work, ironically enough.

bicoastal, taste of the wild offers free sample bags-ask at any place that sells TOTW. I'd love to send you a 15 lb bag but in a pinch a free sample will work too....

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator 1 View Post
    We don't allow fundraising on the site for non-501c3 organizations, but we may be able to allow an organizational effort for volunteering to help out each other in other ways. I'll check in with the main office. If you don't hear back from me on this thread, please send me a PM to remind me.

Thanks!
    Mod 1
    As proposed in the OT Day forum, a sticky for some that know someone in need and what is needed would maybe not be impinging on the rules of only registered rescues fund raising rules?

If in practice that sticky thread seems to be abused, well, then maybe find ways to handle the abuse problem?

Thanks for looking into this.

How about "A Leg Up" ?

HRMT

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird! View Post
    Well how about something like this: http://helpisnear.boards.net

I just made this, but I think if it were broken down by location it could be a neat resource. I can change the name, and even the URL to whatever.

Thoughts?

Oh I like that! Not sure anyone else in on board with the BB idea though - Jen, or GG or whoever - let me know if you are, and I can add you as Admin.

I can also make new boards, or divide them by region, etc. Then, when there is a big need, we can post a link to the thread, over here on COTH.

What about using some kind of contact manager to enter people who have volunteered to help and their location. It would need several people to administer it though. Heck, you could just use a google spreadsheet for that matter.

The other option would be for someone to form a 501(c)3 to help COTH members in need. But then you get into that whole "are they on the up and up" problem.

If the Mods will allow a sticky, that's probably the best way to go. Offers of help and calls for help.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I'm in the Triangle area of NC and available for food, limited physical activity (broken arm!), and human/animal caregiving. Also the occasional dribble of $$.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I'd love to help however I can. The other board is a cool idea. I'm in the DFW area (TX).

I'm in middle tn and my home is always open, and what little I have is always available.