The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Lending a hand to some COTHers in need?!

I'm not sure the Mods will allow this thread, but I'm going to try anyway.

I was going to start this on the OT thread, but it's closed. I offered to coordinate PayPal donations for Izanalter, and have gotten a couple of PMs so I wanted to say if anyone wants to help, feel free to contact me. I will either PayPal the funds straight to her, or put them into gift cards, whichever she prefers.

Additionally, there are a couple other COTHers who could also use help in the form of a grocery or gas card. I'm not going to mention who on this thread, but it's people who have been active on COTH, not someone new "playing" with our emotions. You could probably figure it out by checking some of the OT threads, but I am also happy to coordinate helping them if anyone wants to pitch in, take them a meal, or even just send them a note of encouragement.

Lending a hand doesn't even have to be about money. Maybe you have a job lead in the area, maybe you can help someone navigate their way through assistance programs. Sometimes it's hard to think clearly when you are feeling overwhelmed, and having someone calm to help out can make a big difference.

Some of you are not going to like this idea, and are probably wishing the red thumb were available, but that's okay. As someone who has bounced back from being down on her luck, I'm trying to find a way to help others, even if it's just a little bit.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

14 members found this post helpful.

I'd be more than happy to pitch in a little to help -

Stephanie

Let cloudyandcallie vet them out, and I'm in.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm in!
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

not to change the subject but, why is Cloudandcallie the go to when it comes to vetting someone out?

Ps, I sent a care package to one of our CoTHers day, so help is on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Let cloudyandcallie vet them out, and I'm in.
    Wait a minute! I don't know everyone although the guys in Atlanta said I must have been in the circus, since I know a lot of people.
    Remember, I used to donate to the rescue-which-shall-not-be-named, until I found out about it. And I encouraged others to donate to that rescue and to the cother who went to France. I've suckered 2Jakes and others into giving money to people I later found out were scammers.

So now I just send money and don't encourage others to send money.

I'm in for over the hill and for Izather or however it is spelled. So PM me when anything is decided. I hate for her to have to euth old horses. But I board, and I took in Cloudy's then girlfriend a year and a half ago, and paying board for 2 now. So I cannot take in another horse unless we win the lotto. Oh and I offered to pay for naselberry's horse's shoe-pulling and trim, if she sets it up with the farrier.

Which reminds me, I need to send my January "board" contribution for Always Funny, our syndicate horse.

Yes please I would like to help, let me know the details once they are worked out. I WILL PROBABLY NOT REMEMBER THIS THREAD as I am bad to keep track of threads, so if you would PM me a friendly reminder and I will be more than happy to contribute. I a very blessed (not wealthy, but able to help some) and would like to help someone else if I can.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    Yes please I would like to help, let me know the details once they are worked out. I WILL PROBABLY NOT REMEMBER THIS THREAD as I am bad to keep track of threads, so if you would PM me a friendly reminder and I will be more than happy to contribute. I a very blessed (not wealthy, but able to help some) and would like to help someone else if I can.
    Thank you! I will send you a PM.

I'm in for helping! :-)
    Last edited by OneGrayPony; Jan. 2, 2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Forgot the latter half of a word. It's been a long day.

I sent the mods a pm asking if I could start a list of people willing to help and then leave a sticky up for anyone who needs it to pm me or someone else that was willing to help me keep the list.
    The general idea being that we could hook up local COTHers with the COTHer in need. I am still waiting to hear back from the mods, but if they say yes I will put the sign up post up right away.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

That's a great idea.

Sometimes others know what kind of help is available, i.e. temp hay/feed funds from charitable orgs in the area.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Excellent idea. It's probably better to contribute to a specific person, than a general pot...just knowing how these things can go downhill sometimes.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I'd be willing to help also as finances permit. Back in September, I sent a similar suggestion the mods, but never got a response. Since then, with winter feed and utility bills, things seem to have gotten worse for some people. While COTH is not a social services organization, over the years we've done some good.

Thanks for trying to get something going!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I want to help somehow. I can't donate anything financially but I'd love to send a note or casserole or something.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I'm a poor college student in Western Mass, and I just want to extend an offer of help to anyone local who needs it. I can always dig up some extra hay, bring over a bag of grain (and dog food, and groceries!) and if someone is down and out in a physical way, I don't mind doing stalls for a week.

If the situation were particularly dire, I always have room for another at my place, but not another completely on MY tab.

3 members found this post helpful.

I am blown away by the responses I've seen on this thread as well as the PMs I've received. What an amazing group of people.

There has to be a way to coordinate assistance without being taken advantage of. Based on my observations, it seems no matter how remote one is, there is someone on this forum who is close enough to help.

As someone who has been in need of assistance myself, it can be difficult to ask for help, especially when people don't know your situation. I would love it if we could come up with a way to organize assistance by state or something, and provide a safe place for known COTHers to get a helping hand when needed, be it a bale of hay, bag of dog/cat food or a warm meal or even a tank of gas.

I don't think a general fund would work, nor do I have any interest in coordinating it.

In the meantime, some of us are helping known COTHer Over The Hill, through a difficult time. If you want to pitch in, please PM me. She did not ask for help, I offered (as did others) based on a recent OT day thread.

Thank you Mods, for letting this thread stay open!

Well how about something like this: http://helpisnear.boards.net

I just made this, but I think if it were broken down by location it could be a neat resource. I can change the name, and even the URL to whatever.

Thoughts?

PM me as well....I must go check out these threads. CC may not know everybody, but she has a good nose.

I love this idea!! I can help in any way possible. I don't have much, if any, extra cash but I do have a lot of connections both in the equine and professional world in a few areas of the country. I may also be able to send off small monetary donations (no more than like $10 or $20).
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I think it would be a great idea, as some of you have said, to have a sticky on coth, maybe here on off course, to let people say that they are in X area, and can help if people need it. I'm good for SE GA and coastal SC, and sometimes for Atlanta when I go back there to visit.

I'm good for physical labor as well. I've cleaned stalls since I was a kid. And hunted lost dogs (at atlanta airport mainly, you can walk in those drainage pipes) and lost people, mainly in Atlanta when I lived there, but I'm not afraid of the piney woods or any of the varmints in it, including the bubbas. And I know the news media and how to use it to get $ and job offers for people who are in dire straits.

Instead of "ride sharing" we could have "help sharing." (not really, someone think of a better title, like a hand up or help or whatever) Sometimes people just need a little help to get back onto their feet.