The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Opinions on leaving a Fleece liner on 24/7?

What are people's thoughts/options/experiences with leaving a fleece liner/fleece lined T/O on 24/7, for several days in a row?

Assuming horse doesn't sweat or overheat, is it any different than a nylon liner?

My goal is to get my horse a 100-150g T/O in the near future, but for now all I have is his fleece lined rain rug from Horze, which fits him great and is just the right weight to keep him comfortable in the 20s and 30s, but I worry about the fleece.

Thus far he seems fine. No rubs, etc., after wearing it for 4 days in a row (I do take it off at least every other day to let it air out for a bit while I groom him). But should I be concerned if he is wearing it for say, a week or two at a time? Should I try to save a little faster for the nylon lined light weight?

Thanks for any input. I dont know why I have such blanket anxiety. Maybe I just need a Paxil lol
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I've done it in a pinch, it's not that big a deal provided it doesn't get soaking wet. Just be prepared for the static dance when you take it off!

Schneiders has really nice liners for very good prices.
    Click here before you buy.

I don't have a problem with static, thankfully! Is that b/c he is barefoot and/or standing on a rubber mat? Or am I just lucky?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

If it doesn't rub and no problem with static, I can't see why it would be a problem. My Bucas Power blanket has kind of a fleecy lining and has not been an issue. It does tend to collect more hair and bedding, but the vacuum (or just shaking it out) takes care of a lot of that.

you can spray it with static guard!!!
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

1 members found this post helpful.

The lack of COTH outrage has reassured me that I am not committing any horse care management sins, so thanks. I feel better now
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

3 members found this post helpful.

Just keep an eye out for dampness in the fleece, it seems to trap moisture. I too have the horze fleece lined and my horses will wear them for days just fine, but I have found that if my piggy gelding rolls in a particularly muddy spot the fleece will become damp feeling and terribly itchy for him. I swap out to another sheet and let the fleece one dry for a day then its fine again until he decides to play in mud.

I too have noticed the horze sheets aren't static-y, even when other things are. Must be magic fleece.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    The lack of COTH outrage has reassured me that I am not committing any horse care management sins, so thanks. I feel better now
    Just so you have some outrage :
    WHAT??? You can't do that! Your horses mane and tail will fall off, and their feet will turn purple from the chemical reaction. They will also get ulcers, cushings, navicular and EPSM. At the same time.

(I use a fleece sheet as a liner all the time... works well for us!)
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    WHAT??? You can't do that! Your horses mane and tail will fall off, and their feet will turn purple from the chemical reaction. They will also get ulcers, cushings, navicular and EPSM. At the same time.
    I just spit out my ginger ale lol

Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    I think you can mitigate some of this if you take the sheet to the chiro, though.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    Just keep an eye out for dampness in the fleece, it seems to trap moisture. I too have the horze fleece lined and my horses will wear them for days just fine, but I have found that if my piggy gelding rolls in a particularly muddy spot the fleece will become damp feeling and terribly itchy for him. I swap out to another sheet and let the fleece one dry for a day then its fine again until he decides to play in mud.

I too have noticed the horze sheets aren't static-y, even when other things are. Must be magic fleece.

Yeah, that's my biggest concern...is if it gets mucky. And we CERTAINLY have enough muck around lately

MD winters are awesome. Not.

but he does look cute in his Horze jammies
    Last edited by wcporter; Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:12 PM.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I've had my gelding's fleece cooler/liner on him just about 24/7 for the past couple of weeks. I will take it off every now and then and just leave him with his TO on.

He has to have a lycra shoulder guard on as well as the fleece liner slips back and rubs his chest raw. Grr. Tonight I just didn't want to deal with the shoulder guard & cooler so I left it off. lol.

The other day I did take it off to find he had sweated in it. :/ He had been outside the day before with the sun shining and since my friend did turnout, she just threw his TO on over his cooler w/o taking it off. It was cold out still, so she probably didn't think he'd sweat. Oh well, now we know.

My boy has been wearing his 24/7 under his t/o for about 3 weeks now. NO rubs no problems so far. I have decided I need to buy a second tho for when the one on him gets muddy. One to wear one to wash. But today the liner that was muddy two days ago is now not muddy. Maybe he rubbed the mud off? Anyway, while I like the rambo liners my mares have better, this is working fine for my boy.

I do it every winter for years. I like the Schneiders liners, personally. My BO likes it because she just pulls the TO sheet off at night when she's stalled because the barn tends to get pretty toasty. My mare pees in one area of her stall and sleeps on the other side when she does lay down and they use pine pellets so there's very little mess on the fleece sheet. They throw on the TO sheet in the morning when she goes out. If it's particularly chilly, they throw the TO blanket over top instead.

My guy's main blanket is fleece lined (he lived in it basically all last winter) and I now have a fleece blanket liner for the really chilly nights. He wears one or the other pretty much 24/7, except on the nights it's cold enough to put his heavyweight t/o on...which isn't terribly often. Haven't had any problems so far!

As long as it stays clean enough and dry, doesn't seem problematic to me.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I have a Jack's fleece lined T/O sheet that I use on my old guy, and he loves it. He is low man on the totem pole and gets kicked out of the shelter sometimes when it's rainy. The sheet that I have is totally waterproof though, so I was extremely pleased when only his neck and legs were soaked and his body was totally dry and warm.

In conclusion, I'm getting fleece liners for the rest of the horses since they seem to keep them so warm.

I layer a light blanket (fleece sheet, or stable blanket) under the turnouts so I can keep them clean without always having to wash the turnouts. Stable sheets and fleece sheets are wonderful for this. Wash them once a week (or every few weeks).