The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "medium hole" hay net?

Time to replace my hay nets, and I want something with a "smaller" hole, but not a "small" hole. Maybe about 3-3.5". Just small enough to keep their feet out so I can hang it lower, but not small enough to slow them down appreciably. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Honestly after trying several different bags and nets, I wouldn't buy anything but a Nibble Net.

My horse is barefoot and I have no qualms just tossing it on the floor for him. (No straps attached, just two double-ended brass snaps holding the top together.)

The 2" holes don't slow him down much -- it maybe adds half an hour to the time it takes him to demolish 10 lbs of hay. (And that's probably the time he spends flipping it around trying to get *all* the hay to fall out at once, rather than just doggedly pulling out mouthfuls until it's gone.)
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Another fan here of Nibble Nets. And they have options for the hole size. My mare seems to really like hers; she has it all figured out how to turn it around, and when she's not busy eating, she uses it to scratch her face. Mine's hung so that her head is anywhere from straight out to down towards her knees.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Ditto the Nibble Net. My horse has trashed anything else I've tried (and I've seen other horses get caught up in the more traditional? nylon or cotton webbed nets). As others have said, they do come in a variety of sizes and I know mine (the standard 2" holes) does not slow down my OTTB a GREAT deal. Adds a bit of time, but not like he's just eating snippets. I have mine hanging at about chest height and it's really secure, but when I had it on a hook, he managed to get it down one day and even with that (and several months of use), it's still in great condition. A good buy!

Yup, me too. You can just toss them on the ground, or hang them up and they last forever and are even yearling-proof. They don't slow the horses down very much, if at all, with the regular-sized holes.
    Click here before you buy.

kcmel is online now Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Hmmm, I was really hoping for something with larger holes. My one guy just gives up with the small hole hay nets, even if I put something extraordinarily delicious in it. Thanks.

Original Poster

OK, the small hole net that is too small has 2'' x 3" holes, so I need something bigger than that. Maybe even 4 x 4 would work. Anybody?

I would not use a net with holes that big. I see accident all over that.

1 members found this post helpful.

A horse for which 2" holes are too small is a horse that isn't hungry enough, in my opinion.

(Another huge NN fan here. I swear by mine...)
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I actually had a couple made by a dock supply store. I took in a regular haynet, picked out the size netting I wanted, and they made me 2 bale sized haynets. It was cheap, but I still have them and love them.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    I would not use a net with holes that big. I see accident all over that.
    ??Most hay nets have holes that are much larger than that!

I just ordered a slow hay feeder box made by High Country Plastics. KVVet and horse.com carry it. I plan to put it in the old guy's stall. The holes look big enough that it shouldn't slow his eating. I hope it will keep him from spreading his hay all over the stall, then urinating in it. The feeder is expensive, but I am tired of wasted hay.

I would also like to find something like a "medium" hole net for using in a trailer. The regular hay nets, one bite and all the hay is on the floor!

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    ??Most hay nets have holes that are much larger than that!

Then I guess most hay nets are accidents waiting to happen!

1 members found this post helpful.

I really like Busy Horse nets, they come if different sizes. I've used the large bags with large holes for several months with no issues. The horses have pulled them down and played with them but never got hung up. They are great for keeping them busy and keeping their stalls neater.

You might want to check his teeth.

Easy fix: take a standard 2" hole small hole hay net. Cut out a few strings in the net to make slightly larger holes. Your horse WILL find those spots. Just don't throw it on the floor, in case a foot could get caught. Hang it.