The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pedal osteitis in young jumper

In august we imported a very talented 5 yr old, with a clean vetting. A few weeks after being in work here he wasn't quite right. Long story short, he went for a bone scan and more xrays was diagnosed with pedal osteitis with significant bone resorption. Both front suspensory ligaments lit up as well... No tears just inflamed front stress on the ligament.
    Vet put him in egg bars with half pour in pads... He's having 4 months off with just walking under saddle and small turn out paddock to limit running
    In April our vet wants to do tildren then slowly put him in flat work.

My question is will he ever be able to jump and stay sound? He's only 5!! He was supposed to be a 3'6 hunter/derby horse. No one seems to be able to give me an answer on whether or not he will hold up. Does anyone have any experience with this with upper level hunter/jumpers?

Also how did this not show up in my pre purchase!? Vet said it was the angles the X-rays were taken.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by optimus3389 View Post
    No one seems to be able to give me an answer on whether or not he will hold up.
    Probably not.
    Does anyone have any experience with this with upper level hunter/jumpers?
    Not with any that are sound.
    Also how did this not show up in my pre purchase!? Vet said it was the angles the X-rays were taken.
    Perhaps the horse was blocked. What did the hoof exam portion of the PPE consist of? Perhaps the radiograph views necessary to evaluate for PO were not taken.......