The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default permanent name labels for rubber bell boots

Anyone know what the best thing is to use to permanently label black bell boots? We have tried a silver sharpie, but it wears off very quickly, and we end up having a fun time trying to sort out all the bell boots in the barn. The white ones aren't as much of a problem - a black sharpie works pretty well on these - but the ones I like for turn-out only come in black rubber.

What about these?

Little bit of spray paint on the outside? Just a dot, just enough to identify.

Are they pull-ons or velcro? Duct tape over the velcro works well. We had a horse at the barn who was notorious for tearing off his bell boots until we went the rubber/duct tape route.

Rivet a dog tag to them?

I used the fabric puffy paint for sweatshirts. T-shirt pictures. That stuff is TOUGH and lasts well on my smooth sided, velcro closing bell boots. Sorry I can't remember the boot brand name, but the name I wrote on them has endured for MANY years! We sold Sprite about 15 years ago, but her name is still clear and visible on those boots!! Newest pair of bells has our name, not the horse name.
    I got my puffy paint at a JoAnnes fabric store. They offer a lot more colors and options like SPARKLE now in the paints. I let the boots sit in a warm place to get the puffy paint hardened before use. I can toss them in the washer, hang to dry works just fine to clean those boots after a muddy work.

A bottle of puffy paint runs about a $1 last time I bought some, might be cheaper if you can find a coupon on-line or a sale.

Ditto on the fabric paint. I can't comment on using on bell boots but I have used it on turn out halters, both leather and nylon. After many yrs of use the ones I have marked with fabric paint are still marked. Heck, more readable than good halter name plates!! (and oh so very classy!)

They also make white markers that are a stick and a clay or sticky like substance. I have 2 but both are out in the trailer. I will try to bring one in tomorrow and post the name of it. They write on anything and wear really really well too.

you might try an eartag pen, not sure if they come in white ink though. They are used to mark on the eartags of livestock so it's very durable. Your local farm store should have them.

DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas!

I thought about the stick on labels, but don't want to have to buy a whole package of 20 - 40 or more individualized labels for each horse.

Not sure about the dog tags - I don't want to pierce the rubber with anything as I think it would make it easier for the horses to tear the bellboots.

Duct taping over the velcro to keep the bellboots on isn't the solution, because we remove boots when the horses come in. But a piece of duct tape ON the bellboots, labeled with the horse's name, might work!

If that doesn't do the trick, I will look for a fabric pen or an eartag pen.

Try nail polish. Swipe the spot where you want to write with remover first, then write what you wish. Just make sure it dries 100% and if you want to get really fancy top coat with a clear coat to seal it in. Pretty much indestructible in my experience - and so many pretty colors to choose!

Brand them.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._