The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is This Horse/Rider in Perfect Balance?

Looks like it to me in this photo op. What do you think?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

1 members found this post helpful.

The comments seem kind of scary to me along with the photo. The only time I have seen 'trained' rears the rider was not pulling on the reins, as this photo seems to show. Am I missing something?

Having watch a friend pull her horse over during a rear it is not something good or fun to watch. My friend was seriously injured and waiting for an ambulance outside of a show arena so that I could direct them to the accident is NOTHING I ever want to do again.

As soon as her stirrup leathers slip off her saddle, she will pull the horse over. *shudder*!!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony View Post
    As soon as her stirrup leathers slip off her saddle, she will pull the horse over. *shudder*!!
    <--- I wish that it weren't smiling...
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

2 members found this post helpful.

http://ironia-art.com/wp/?ims_galler...ours-of-fingal

Couple of more photos above. (They're about halfway down the page.)

Looks like horsie spooked and went up.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Bopper View Post
    The comments seem kind of scary to me along with the photo. The only time I have seen 'trained' rears the rider was not pulling on the reins, as this photo seems to show. Am I missing something?
    You are missing that this is pretty clearly a rider competing in a show class, so it's not a trained rear. Presumably it is a horse spooking and wasting the hours somebody has put in getting him ready. Maybe it's also somebody in danger, but I don't think they've deliberately put themselves there (except by choosing to show horses).

Looks to me, seeing the additional photos of her coming down, like horse was being a pig! He doesn't look spooked, but does look resistant to going forward. Too bad she couldn't have applied the whip a bit sooner. LOTTA horse when he stands up like that!!

Lady is on the EDGE of going over backwards, glad she didn't. I don't know how she kept her stirrups on saddle, body position upright!! My stirrup leathers would have slid off the bars because I always keep them open for accidents.

Some bad habits are intolerable, and rearing is one I won't have in a horse we own. Very VERY scary to see and probably WORSE to ride on down. She is doing the only thing possible, staying quiet, not actually pulling reins though they are not loose, so horse is not overbalanced to fall backwards. Good Rider skill there!

3 members found this post helpful.

only just noticed she's not wearing a certified helmet; DAMNED lucky the horse didn't go over on her.

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post
    only just noticed she's not wearing a certified helmet; DAMNED lucky the horse didn't go over on her.
    That is why I wondered if these were very old photos, or from another country. Lot of old-fashioned, brown coat, pelham bit isn't fashionable anymore, old-style hard hat instead of helmet. She IS pretty good on the horse though!

It is an amazing string of photos, showing horse up and coming down. I am saying coming down, because her legs are so far behind her on the midway shots, that I think she just hasn't gotten her balance back to push legs downward yet. One wouldn't do that with your legs on a horse going up.

According to the header, the shot is from the Flavours of Fingal in Dublin.

No he has only one foot on the ground and is about to plant his right hand further back to regain balance. Looks like he is going to go over, but I haven't found the series.

For Sale: large boned blood bay gelding. Proficient in levade and courbette work. Best offer.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    For Sale: large boned blood bay gelding. Proficient in levade and courbette work. Best offer.
    Darn, not much call for those skills except in Renn Fairs! Horse was just born too late for horse warfare, when they could use his skills.

I may get slammed for this but Who is Mike Matson and why does he post a hundred things like this from facebook links?
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    I may get slammed for this but Who is Mike Matson and why does he post a hundred things like this from facebook links?
    Best I know, I don't really pay that much attention to names, but Mike Matson as a poster is hard to miss, he is a dressage rider and long time COTH member, that contributes with his own taste of horsey entertainment and enlightenment.
    He does warn you with the title of the subject and if you are not interested or don't want to see it, you don't have to click on that thread.
    I don't on some, others are interesting, like this one.

That rear is scary, the horse does look still well balanced, but it is a fine line from that to a misstep and going over.

I know I would have had the stirrups loose before we got that far, or you don't have a chance if you still have them on when the horse falls on you.
    That was the first we learned, keep stirrups on the end and kick them off when a horse acts up.
    All those hours riding without stirrups made that possible.
    We also always tried to turn a horse and pushed them on, before he would think of rearing.
    Works most times, but there, when you have to go to a jump, some times you have to try to push thru and guess it didn't work there.

The rider looks very accomplished.
    Some times, you can't do much but go along with the horse until things settle down.

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post
    with that horse falling on her, I don't think the helmet would make a lot of difference...

Good grief....that was on the edge of out of control right there....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Ok, I had to stop reading some of the FB comments.

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    You are missing that this is pretty clearly a rider competing in a show class, so it's not a trained rear. Presumably it is a horse spooking and wasting the hours somebody has put in getting him ready. Maybe it's also somebody in danger, but I don't think they've deliberately put themselves there (except by choosing to show horses).
    I think Bopper was referring to the Facebook comments, which a lot were saying that the horse had been "trained" to rear.

To me, she looks - in the other pics - like she was riding with far too much hand, and not enough leg. He looks like a tough ride, and she looks like she is overhorsed.

Your Equines Etc. web forum looks like it could use some participants. If you want, I can start posting there.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

5 members found this post helpful.

You took a break from COTH?

Seems like he is professionally tied to the computer and surfs much. He then shares some of the treasures with us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.