The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Nothing like nastiness spreading.

Good gracious, for one, I don't care what Iz has done or not done. She is trying to make things right. She's trying to do right by these horses. She's facing some very frightening things and she is working really hard to confront her own demons. We all have them, and we all need forgiveness to grow through them.

One of my favorite analogies for growth is that of the seed. To become a beautiful plant, the seed must be utterly destroyed. Any of us who have gone through this process understand this.

To her detractors, I hope when you go through this, as we all do, someone treats you far more lovingly than you are treating Iz. Your situation may not be financial, it will look different, because it's uniquely yours.

As far as the horses go, many have found loving homes already. When and if Iz is ready, we can take an accounting of who needs to be placed yet. Let's keep the focus there.

12 members found this post helpful.

Katarine, would you please edit your post number 200 to show that the second paragraph was posted by Lady Eboshi, not by me. I highly resent being lumped in with L.E.!!!!!!!!!!!! The only part that I said was the first paragraph you quoted.
    Thank you.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Some people want to fight more than anything else.

I didn't even try to figure out who IZ is in any other tangent of the world. All I know or care about is this post and her situation right now is about placing horses in a good place and hopefully keeping herself going one foot in front of the other until she's out of the storm.

What kind of selfish turds would try to turn it into a childish argument and turn the attention away from finding good homes for good horses? Exercise your right to STHU at this point in time if you're a selfish turd.

7 members found this post helpful.

Amen! No one with any decency kicks someone who is down. There is no excuse whatsoever for the recent nasty posts. Those 'turds' as you correctly named them are trying to derail a helpful thread and turn it into a train wreck. That is not cool at all.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sdlbredfan View Post
    Katarine, would you please edit your post number 200 to show that the second paragraph was posted by Lady Eboshi, not by me. I highly resent being lumped in with L.E.!!!!!!!!!!!! The only part that I said was the first paragraph you quoted.
    Thank you.
    Done... you wouldn't want to be caught dead with Lady Eboshi around.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks K! I hope we can get back to the matter at hand, 'retournons a nos moutons' as it were, and continue cheering Iz on, Bless her heart, she's got enough depressing things going on as it is; she should not have to cope with nastiness in the midst of that turmoil. I have BTDT (coped with nastiness during times of trouble) and I would not wish that on anyone.
    Jeanie
    Jeanie

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Wow,
    Both "sides" should really take a good look at how they are representing themselves on this thread.

Defending someone else without lowering yourself to the other party's level, even through "cute" sarcasm or "silly" name-calling, is apparently a skill that is in short supply these days.

Nastiness, even in response to hatefulness offered, only degrades yourselves, and does absolutely nothing to help the situation at hand, it only turns off some of us that were considering helping.

IZ, I wish you luck in placing your horses in loving homes and hope that you soon see the sunshine cutting through those dark clouds; those clouds do always pass on sooner or later, you know.

11 members found this post helpful.

Well don't help. Sorry to have ruffled YOUR sensibilities, since this entirely about YOUR sensibilities. Yeah I don't DO people very well, I know it and accept it, like anyone will be able to change that aspect of my personality. I don't like people that lie. Whatever....

4 members found this post helpful.

I just returned from meeting the lovely Iz and her fantastic horses! SonnysMom and I went to visit.

First of all, all of her horses are in good weight and absolutely gorgeous condition. Her barn is kept immaculately and it appears to have been so kept for quite awhile (there's no way it was a last minute cleanup before my arrival). Though I did not ride while there, it was apparent that all were well handled, and accurately represented.

As people have put together, they are indeed saddlebreds and I've become positively fascinated with them as a breed as a result. The only saddlebreds I had ever seen before (in person) belonged to the Amish, and they were all weedy things. Her horses have substantial bone, and really reminded me of Stubbs paintings...gorgeous! And yes, she stripped them naked for me (all blanketed...hardly a hoarder!)

Iz has asked for nothing more than homes for her horses, and has refused offers of material help. I believe at this point most are placed. She is doing her best to help herself out of the situation, and quite frankly is doing a pretty marvelous job. Are things hard? Yes, she's facing some difficulties that are pretty daunting. But she's digging in as best she can.

I thought long and hard about digging this thread back up, but decided that it was worth it. I hope I'm right. I can vouch for her care of the horses, and am pleased to know her in person.

27 members found this post helpful.

I asked earlier which horses still needed homes and got no reply. So I'll ask again. More specifically, has Willoughby been placed?

I believe someone has spoken for him, but Iz will have to confirm. Have you contacted her directly?

When the Night Walker is decapitated by the ruthless Lady Eboshi, a gelatinous black ooze spills forth, transforming the lush land into a morbid swamp[yankee].
    http://www.frieze.com/issue/article/island-nation/

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm sorry I haven't been back on the thread. Last week was tough, and this week will be even moreso.

It was really delightful meeting OGP and Sonny's Mom. Such nice, kind, and genuine people. It is wierd having people you do not know going through the farm, at this point. You know that they are looking at everything, but it is what it is. It isn't like I could decide one day to take care of the horses, and make them look like I had, if I had not been. These horses are fed warm meals twice a day in this weather, and have hay in front of them 24/7.

Willoughby is spoken for, but I have not finalized his adoption, and he has not left, so if it doesn't work out, I will let you know.

I have two here that I hadn't spoken about, because one belongs to someone else, and the other was busy blowing an abcess, or so I thought. The one with the abcess turned out to have a nasty bruise and soft spot on his sole, according to my intrepid blacksmith. I have been painting his feet twice a day, and I do think he is better. He is a 16.1 hand BIG BIG built pinto half-brother to Borealis. He has big lofty suspended movement, almost Baroque-like, if you will. He is sweet, funny, has a great sense of humor, and gives kisses. VERY intelligent, and talented. He is suitable for a talented advanced rider, or someone with a trainer, as he is girthy, and needs a careful hand. He could be successful at the National level, with the right person- he is that awesome a mover.

The other horse is a 15.2 hand coming four year old who is under saddle walk, trotting and cantering. He has been very correctly started, and is a really cute mover. He is very forward, and in the goofy baby stage. He is extremely athletic, and does medium sized caveletti like a machine. He would make someone a fun dressage horse, but I think he would love to event- and he can jerk his knees. His owner wants him to have a wonderful forever home.

Thanks again for the kind thoughts.

7 members found this post helpful.

Good news about Willoughby -- hope it comes through! He is so handsome, and I really wish we'd had room for him, but our stalls are full. Not that wishing helps any, just expressing my admiration for him. Hope the pinto gets completely better and that he and the 4-year-old can find great homes.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

3 members found this post helpful.

OGP, I am so glad you got to meet Iz and her ASBs. Iz has been the breed's Sisyphus in getting Saddlebred sport horses recognized by the show horse segment of the breed, which, to this point, has controlled much of the marketing effort.

In an aside - the work that she has done laid the foundation for the breed's largest futurity, The All American Cup, to have specific classes for young horses who should be directed towards sport horse careers. I.E., NOT saddle seat rejects who then have to be retrained, but *started* as sport horses from the get go. The inaugural class was held last year, but in association is a stallion auction.

That stallion auction, that contained some of the first studs that are directed towards the sport horse market, occurred in KY while you and Sonny's Mom were visiting the farm.

While Iz may not realize, or at best will down play, her voice as an absolute advocate for these horses WAS heard and more than a single starfish - she has started a movement that eventually will clear the beach. The rest of us are bit players ... whereas she has been the North Star guiding and nurturing. Now, more than ever, we need her continued passion for the breed, even if she is minus her own temporarily, to expand that message.

20 members found this post helpful.

Awesome post CA ASB! I'm seconding everything you posted. She has been the unwavering 'Star' that kept the movement in the forefront. The breed needs her,
    the horses need her and her friends need her.

8 members found this post helpful.

Dear very kind and well intended people who are still calling my ex. Please stop. If I want or need your help, I promise to contact you. He has a life, a job, a family, and a relationship with someone. He doesn't need a hobby, and I do not want to be his hobby. Thank you.

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    You would know, Swamp Yankee.
    Well, that explains one thing
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Every time we hear about starving horses seized by animal control, we say "why didn't she/he ask for help?"

The nastiness on this thread is why.
    Exactly. If only more people realized this. Who cares the circumstance or how it happened, the person is asking for help before it gets to a certain point. Nowadays it is impossible to place them. I had two listed on COTH giveaways asking for help... did I get it? No. Had to give them to a less than desirable situation, and took them back in less than desirable shape. DO I wish it could have been done differently? Absolutely.
    Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

I'm sorry that you didn't get the help you needed, doublete, and your horses sounded like they suffered as a result. :-( That is wrong, and we, as a community, can do better.