The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

KR, thanks for sharing that! Those are the most important things...mutual affection and a human who cares about the horse's welfare.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

2 members found this post helpful.

My last mare was a dressage diva. Only ever ridden dressage her entire life when I bought her at 14.
    She was fine and happy as a clam without a dressage owner. Dressage is touted as the basis for/beneficial to all other disciplines. As long as they're treated well, they'll be happy too. It isn't wrong for a horse to go to a home with a different purpose.
    It will make things easier on you to consider non-dressage owners too.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

8 members found this post helpful.

Hi Jeanie - I know SBR is full right now. You might try posting on their board for what your instructor is looking for and find something.

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    I took a dressage horse who needed a home. Elijah competed successfully to third level, and I do not speak dressage. It was his "first language," but to his credit he also spoke pretty fluent "horse." He has lived happily ever after here for 7 years. He still speaks dressage, and I still don't. But he has learned "barely apt rider" darn well. He even knows a lot of English, like "feet on ground," "time for dinner," "here is your girl," and the softly whispered right in his ear when he brings his 17h self close to me,"I love you Lijah'" which makes his ears go flop. Since I also speak a little horse, I know this means he loffs me, too.
    Seconding the above. Over the years I have had two very remarkable and lovely "older gentlemen" of the equine kind who were nice enough to teach me "Reining" and "Gaited" as second languages. Of course, they thought I was perfectly ignorant and useless as a rider, but at least they were good sports about it!

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CA ASB View Post
    Hi Jeanie - I know SBR is full right now. You might try posting on their board for what your instructor is looking for and find something.
    Not 'my instructor' just someone I know. She is well aware of SBR, thanks.
    and now back to our regularly scheduled 'Iz' programming....
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

IZ-- good to know you've had someone come out and ride your gelding! hope she decides to take him, and that you will let him go, one of the first horses I took lessons on was a dressage schoolmaster turned eq horse. He was so kind to me!

I'm still getting pm and emails, and I am still sending them directly to you, so hoping that things will continue moving in a forward, helpful direction for you!!

4 members found this post helpful.

I have a possible home offer for one or two of the horses, but it is in Wisconsin. Can any of you amazing COTHers help come up with a plan, or a trailer chain, or something, that would help? The potental adopter isn't broke, but they could use all of the help possible to take this one in for me.

Please respond via PM only with thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks again for all of the kind thoughts and good wishes- I really do appreciate them.

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    I took a dressage horse who needed a home. Elijah competed successfully to third level, and I do not speak dressage. It was his "first language," but to his credit he also spoke pretty fluent "horse." He has lived happily ever after here for 7 years. He still speaks dressage, and I still don't. But he has learned "barely apt rider" darn well. He even knows a lot of English, like "feet on ground," "time for dinner," "here is your girl," and the softly whispered right in his ear when he brings his 17h self close to me,"I love you Lijah'" which makes his ears go flop. Since I also speak a little horse, I know this means he loffs me, too.
    I LOVE THIS!! I guess when I was re-homing the most important thing was 'how much does the person care about the horse...not so much their discipline, knowledge or capabilities as long as the discipline they spoke wasn't harmful to the horse.

7 members found this post helpful.

You guys make excellent points, and I don't think I can see the forest for the trees, at this point. I emailed the people, and explained some things, offered a mea culpa, etc. We'll see what happens!

Thanks again!

Still looking for shipping help....

6 members found this post helpful.

Default shipping help

I am in Kansas but can help with some trailering if any of the horses need to hitch around out in my neck of the woods.

Also here to help you in any way I can as we PM'd about!!!
    m

1 members found this post helpful.

I think I understand why Iz finds it important that they go to dressage homes, and I don't think she's entirely wrong to hope that they find those first.

Now - if she can't find those, then absolutely, lots of non-dressage homes are wonderful for these horses.

But I do get it, now that I have some context.

You know what? First of all I am so F***ING pissed off. Next. every. single. one of you are all great F***ING 'talk the walk'. Here's the deal folks. I'm just clawing my way out of devastating, nearly killed us both in ways no one could comprehend. We almost lost everything. I touched the edges of what IZ is going through, however she's going through it all ALONE. Not many/any people knew how close I was to euthing a few horses for fear of their life beyond here with me.

So I'm here calling all you 'better off than me" do gooders to buck up. I'm taking one her horses for safe keeping that the rest of his quality of life will allow. I barely got a pot to piss in, she trusts ME with one of her babies.

Perhaps try walkin' the talk. We are trying to get this horse from Eastern PA to Northern WI.

So far we are coming up with nada. I at least want to get the horse to IL. From here, I can do that in one day pretty reasonably. Leave early and get back before dark. I have zero details, waiting on a shipper to call back.

And some are "worried" about the legitimacy of the OP? Really? Wheres the fruity fruitbat!

You are pretty late to the party- that sidebar got shut down pretty quick.

The only slight concern now that I am seeing (JMO) is some worry that holding out for a dressage person may jeopardize the horse, or Iz's frustration level, when another type of person might be fine. These aren't driving-only horses, they are riding horses, and I doubt a team roper is going to consider an ASB, right?

If raising even the mildest question or suggestion is over the top outrageous, then I don't know what to say.

Hey, a Heisman Trophy candidate fabricated a girlfriend, and that girlfriend's death. Stranger things HAVE happened than someone cleaning out the barn under false pretenses. It COULD happen, it HAS happened. One person's true drama and true horror stories does not stamp out the POSSIBILITY someone else MIGHT be a bad, shade-ball, slimeball with a fabricated issue.

7 members found this post helpful.

I'm in ohio, have a trailer but not a big truck-I could help for a leg of the trip, but I'm kind of limited by our lil pickup truck...
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    ~Vet Tech Student
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 3 Cats, 6 (Former) Stepkids

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    Perhaps try walkin' the talk.
    Hope your sweary vent made you feel better.

Not everyone can afford to take on another horse, and certainly shouldn't put their financial situation in peril in order to do so. Is that what "walkin' the walk" is supposed to mean? Frankly rehoming with someone who "barely has a pot to piss in" doesn't sound like the greatest idea in the world for either the horse or the new owner.

25 members found this post helpful.

Coanteen,
    that long past situation was spoken of for empathy's sake, nothing more, and not reflective of present times. And it was successfully weathered, so Sunridge has 'won' not lost at all. Painting a win as a loss can get one's hackles up and some don't mince words...

Sunridge,
    Let the board know when you have some shipping quotes.

Folks, this is a very good home offer.

Who doesn't want to economize on shipping expense for a new horse when they are not familiar with various companies and so reach out to people that might help and only need to be aware of the route?

Time to re-focus on trying to solve simple problems, not fabricate non-existent ones.

3 members found this post helpful.

I do have to agree with Coanteen. Maybe the horse can find a better situation without putting sunridge1 in trouble. We don't need another person in the domino chain.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    I barely got a pot to piss in, she trusts ME with one of her babies.

And some are "worried" about the legitimacy of the OP? Really? Wheres the fruity fruitbat!
    Maybe you should acquire more pots before taking on more mouths to feed. This smacks of the people who want to get a horse from the kill auctions but can't come up with the "bail".

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Hope your sweary vent made you feel better.

Not everyone can afford to take on another horse, and certainly shouldn't put their financial situation in peril in order to do so. Is that what "walkin' the walk" is supposed to mean? Frankly rehoming with someone who "barely has a pot to piss in" doesn't sound like the greatest idea in the world for either the horse or the new owner.
    Exactly.

There are plenty of posters here who think something smells fishy. Understandably, they are hesitant to post for fear of backlash. There are even a few who KNOW that the story, as posted, is not being represented truthfully. Not even close. But as the saying goes, there's a sucker born every minute.

18 members found this post helpful.

If someone trying to rehome horses smells fishy to you, then I think it's time you pulled your head out of the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    If someone trying to rehome horses smells fishy to you, then I think it's time you pulled your head out of the trash.
    You are taken advantage of often in life, aren't you?

9 members found this post helpful.