The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where can I find a saddle with a broken tree?

For decorating purposes. Preferably very inexpensive (or free!).

Craigslist?

Or maybe call someplace that does a lot of saddle repair like Trumbull Mtn?

oh wow, didn't even think of contacting a saddle repair shop! I'm right near lancaster, I'm sure I'll have some options there. Thank you!

I'd look in my local tack shop that consigns stuff. Sometimes they have old/cheap saddles that'd work. I've also seen them in antique stores (of course, this was in Aiken....)
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

You can find some really old saddles on eBay, that are going for $20. They probably have broken trees, lol, but I think lots are just very old.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Why does it have to have a broken tree? There are LOTS of old saddles around. Ask on craigslist. There are lots on ebay, of course, but their owners seem to want to make some MONEY off them.

I have one!! Have been trying to get rid of it. It's an old Cosby.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

The problem with going to a fitter or saddler will be that if the tree's busted, the saddle may have been taken apart to determine that (unless the break was really obvious). Most people don't put the saddle back together if the tree's broken. However, the advice to find an old banger on e-Bay is very good; you can probably find something for decor without breaking the bank, and it won't be in two pieces!

I don't know where you are, but last time I was at Bartville Harness in PA, their consignment/used section had a lot of intact but seriously ancient saddles in the <$50 range.

Other consignment saddleries that have been in business a long time may have similar "gems" tucked away if they have enough floor space not to be too ruthless with dead stock.

I have one sitting in my basement taking up space- not sure it has a broken tree but it's fairly ancient. You can have it for shipping (or it pick it up, I'm 45 mins from Lancaster). PM me if you would like to have it
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I have an ancient tree spread Cortina 14" AP that is sitting in the carport. We used it to lead little neighborhood kids around on our medium fat as a tick didn't mind the spread tree cause his back is like a table top (get all that?) It's tiny but would be good for doing display/window dressing or Cracker Barrel type decorating. It's your if you want it and will pay to ship it. It's weighs about nothing.

I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    I don't know where you are, but last time I was at Bartville Harness in PA, their consignment/used section had a lot of intact but seriously ancient saddles in the <$50 range.

Other consignment saddleries that have been in business a long time may have similar "gems" tucked away if they have enough floor space not to be too ruthless with dead stock.
    I'm about an hour from Bartville, I've been meaning to check it out for a few weeks now! I'll have a look when I'm there. Thanks!

Default I have one!

I have one just sitting in my garage for past 4 years since we discovered the broken tree. Did not think anyone would want it. An old dressage saddle. You're welcome to it PM me.

Off topic- but..
    CrystalYoung was the name of my best friend, each time I come upon your posts, I think of her. She is no longer with us but I have great memories....