The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default January deals on blankets? Also, turnout recommendations?

I think my horse's turnout blanket has too many repairs, rips, and duct-tape spots to ever be completely waterproof again. I only bought this particular one (Weatherbeeta) because he needed a blanket ASAP and that was what was in stock at Stagecoach at the time within my price range, so I am not really particularly familiar with blanket shopping.

Anyone know of any awesome blanket sales going on right now? And does anyone have recommendations for turnout blankets that are fairly cheap but still good value? I just want a medium weight that he can wear most of the winter long (I can add a fleece sheet under or another no-fill sheet if he needs a little more) and will hold up well to a bunch of bored geldings and one small diabolical pony.

I got an email from Dover the other day about the new Rhino Newmarket medium turnout blanket on sale- http://www.doversaddlery.com/rhino-n..._mid/13567593/.
    Though not as hardy as Rambos, I've really liked the wug Rhinos so far, so if this blanket is constructed the same (which it looks like it is) this is a pretty good deal I think.

Ooooh, I like Newmarket stripes! Thanks, I'll check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Ooooh, I like Newmarket stripes! Thanks, I'll check it out!
    Sure thing! I love the newmarket navy stripe

My horses both have one of these http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...8-7feca4fa72e9
    One has had hers for 4 years the other for 2 years. The 4yr old one is starting to lose its waterproofness but it has been a great blanket
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

I have two Riders International mid-weight turnouts from Dover. One I've had at least six years, the other three. The quality did not change between the two purchases. A couple of nights ago, I put these on thinking it would get colder than it did, so the horses stood outside all night in the soft rain. Both horses were dry, water was beaded on the blankets, which dried off by the time I put them on again the next evening. Six years old. Blankets are in new condition, no rips, everything works like new. $100.

Granted, my horses are not hard on their blankets and are older so they don't run around a lot. They have a "shavings pit" that they roll in and I keep them brushed off, so the blankets stay clean. I might hose the blankets off, but have never put them in the washer.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    I think my horse's turnout blanket has too many repairs, rips, and duct-tape spots to ever be completely waterproof again. I only bought this particular one (Weatherbeeta) because he needed a blanket ASAP and that was what was in stock at Stagecoach at the time within my price range, so I am not really particularly familiar with blanket shopping.

Anyone know of any awesome blanket sales going on right now? And does anyone have recommendations for turnout blankets that are fairly cheap but still good value? I just want a medium weight that he can wear most of the winter long (I can add a fleece sheet under or another no-fill sheet if he needs a little more) and will hold up well to a bunch of bored geldings and one small diabolical pony.
    I just bought a medium-weight Northwind from Dover, they now come with a lifetime guarantee! Have the toughest denier that Dover carries. It fit my gelding great and the way the hood (bought separately) attaches is really nice.
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I got an AMigo blanekt for my Big Guy (size 84) last year from Dover for $69.
    600d, 200 fill.
    The same blanket is on sale for the same price in the latest flyer catalog.

It's a nice-looking blanket and seems well-made for the money.
    I can't testify as to how it wears, as it has yet to go on the horse.

For a little more money - $120ish IIRC - Smartpak Thinsulate-lined turnout is a really nice one.
    On year #3 for my pony and although used rarely it is holding up great - looks like new and pony is not gentle with his things.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

And there's always Horze
    I have two of their blankets and I LOVE them. I dont have any 50% codes at the moment, but I'm sure I'll have one soon.

Even without the 50% they are a great deal for the quality.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I really like the smart pak delux blankets, they are not on sale but they have free shipping both ways. Prices at 140 or less.

I have TONS of Amigos that I just love! And Horze sheets