The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking For Vermonter With The Blue Dobermans

There is a vermonter on the forum who shows her dogs. She has blue Dobermans. I wanted to speak with her and can not recall her username. I have searched through a few threads that I thought she may have replied to, to no avail. Does anyone know who I am speaking of?

VTDobes? Something like that I think.

Thank you very much! I had the right name but didn't use caps as you did. I will try that. I have a Blue again but haven't had since the early 80's, Ive had just blacks and one red as of late. I have questions about any new care she may know of to do with the effects of color mutant alopecia. Thanks again.

That would be me

You can email me at vtdobes@yahoo.com

I would be interested...I have a blue and a fawn. The blue has a good coat but our fawn is almost naked :-( and gets recurrent staph infections. I'm currently hand-creating/cooking his diet to see if I can help but he's so itchy!

I am so sorry to have started this thread and then not return. My SO fell while installing a window for my daughter and broke both legs. With my spine as bad as it is the whole thing has pretty much been devastating. Since he is in a wheelchair I have everything to do myself and we have been getting dumped on with snow. just getting all the water to the barn is enough without having to shovel snow all day.

After an extensive process I adopted a blue male through DRU in NH Nov 20. I wanted a black but this boy fit what I needed, primarily he MUST love little kids. And he sure does. HE is one of the sweetest Ive ever owned and I have had many. I lost my two adopted brothers both over teh summer. I adopted them 11 yrs ago.

I didn't particularly want a blue or fawn because of them being dilute colors and all the issues that often go with that. I have had blues and one fawn in the 80's. I know the whys of 'blue Doberman syndrome' or color mutant alopecia. I know 90% of blues and 75% of fawns suffer the condition. I know that they may need periodic care with pred and cefalexin to control the pustules, and itchiness. I know many of these affected dogs are hypothyroid which my guy is. He last tested 1.4. The vet in Freemont that DRU uses did NOT see him as being hypothyroid but my vet says anything under 2 gets thyroxine.

HE has been on it for a month. We did a two week course of cephalexin without pred as well as he did have a few pustules. Now he is getting all the bumps back. AFter I call today I suspect he will go back on the ceph as well as pred. He is on the .6 dose of thyroxine now but I think it needs to go up a bit. The usual dose seems to be .1 per 10lbs of body weight. He weighs 85.

I had heard there wsa a shampoo that greatly helps with itching and scales. I believe it was a benzyl peroxide type of thing. I would love to find the correct one. My vet did not have anything like that. I really do not think they see many if ANY blues at the clinic. They were horrified at his coat. The vet in Freemont wrote on his paperwork that he has the best coat she had ever seen in a blue. I have owned better and worse for coats. There is no cure for blue dobe syndrome, I know, all we can do is to try to allieviate the symptoms. So I guess my question is, do you know anything about this shampoo? Do you see anything that stands out as wrong or outdated as far as our treatment plans? I have not had blues since the 80's and as I said I don't think my vet who I reallylove and have had for 12 yrs, is as familiar with this as I would like.

BTW, I followed the links on your site. That is one very gorgeous blue. I think it was on the Rebholzer(sp) site. Absolutely the nicest Ive ever seen but I have never met one that was not affected by BDS either. It was a real pleasure to see. I will be looking for a well bred female pup to be my next assistance dog in teh spring.

Thank you very much and again sorry for the delay. I answered here instead of your email address as another member has the same issues and was interested.

Hi! My blue girl who is going on 5 yrs (oh where does the time go!) was diagnosed with CDA (color dilution alopecia is the proper term rather than "blue doberman symdrome" ) when she was six months old. After weeks and weeks of antibiotics that did NOT work I switched her to a holistic vet (http://www.qiveterinaryclinic.com/1701.html) and she's been on a blend of Chinese herbs which have kept her skin clear of bumps. She does not have much hair due to the CDA but her skin is nice and clear.
    And just an fyi...CDA causes hair loss not the bumps. Dobermans are notorious for skin problems and a lot of vets just like to blame it on the fact that they are blue or fawn.

She is thyroid normal and gets checked every other year. Thyroid and CDA do not go hand in hand but Dobermans have a high incidence of thyroid issues.

My blue girl on my website is from Rebholzer Dobermans in Arlington, VT. Well actually my black boy is from the same breeder

Well, you see when I started dealing with this over 34 yrs ago CDA had not been coined. To this day you get many more search results using Blue Doberman Syndrome over CDA. It likely is the best term now a days but I am still seeing where one is just as proper as the other.

I spent two hours last night trying to find where it has now been found that the pustules are of their own and not part of CDA. I can only find the opposite, that they ARE indeed a regular part of having CDA. I do realize that every bump a Doberman gets may not be caused by CDA but CDA in itself does have teh clinical result of pustules. I do realize that alopecia means hair loss. I spent a great deal of my working life in vet offices, large and small. But hair loss is not the only symptom of the disease.

Thank you very much for your reply. I will give the holistic vet a thought but you see, I can not ride in cars due to my spine. I am lucky to leave my property three of four times a yr. Burlington is an hour and a half from me, so not too likely. But one never knows. Sometimes things line up exactly right with the right type of vehicle and I do get out.

I have had pretty good luck keeping my Blues looking pretty good by treating the conventional route with pred and antibiotics. Of course the antibiotics are not going to prevent the pustules from coming back as they are part of having CDA. But they do work well to get an outbreak under control. Looking last night for info I saw hundreds of pics of Blues and I guess my guy DOES look real good comparatively.

Well I went the holistic route as I didn't want my dog spending the rest of her life on antibiotics. That is not good for them! You should join the Blue Dobes yahoo group...you'll learn a lot.