The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default boarding in Lancaster, PA

Hi,

I am moving to Lancaster and am hoping to find a place to board that is an eventing barn, or near a place for cross country schooling (within 30 miles). I'm looking for pasture board, a lighted arena and grain feed twice a day. I'm also interested in any info on where the horsey areas are so I can live sort of close by. So far it looks like most things are near Manheim?? I would be looking to move my horse at the end of February.

Thanks!

As someone who events and lives outside Manheim I'll try to be as helpful as I can. My retiree is at a barn that offers pasture board but they currently don't have any openings. The other barn doesn't offer pasture board, and the ring doesn't have lights. However they do have a nice-but-small indoor so it all shakes out. Both barns are lovely and run by fabulous people.

For cross country schooling we trailer to the local competition sites for their schooling days. There are other options like Laurel Hill and Stonewood Farm (google them - they're in Dover, PA). There really isn't anything right in Lancaster County.

Let me know if you have any questions, or want to bounce anything off of me. PM is fine too, of course.

There's a fun group waiting to meet you in February!

2 members found this post helpful.

You might check with http://www.crossroadtack.com/ to find out what is on their bulletin board.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Don't forget Cochranville is an eventing mecca, so if you stay on the east end of the county you will be in striking distance of Erin Sylvester, Kate Hicks, Boyd, the Schramms, etc.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Thanks for the tack store link, that should be very helpful. I'm not going to seriously look until I get myself moved down there in a few weeks.

Sally Cousins teaches at a place in Quarryville-- Straight Up Stables, I think? I've never been there, but I would imagine it's pretty nice.

It would help if we knew which side of Lancaster......

A friend rides at Harvest View I believe it is called, she really likes it. Not sure what their amenities are however. You can shoot her a PM, her screen name on here is furlong47. She knows a lot about the area and could probably point you in the right direction of other barns if hers is not what you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    It would help if we knew which side of Lancaster......
    Lancaster, the city/town. The reason I'm asking is that the last time I moved to an area I ended up 20 miles from the barn and I'd like to be closer this time. I haven't found an apartment yet. Going down this weekend to look.

Come for a snack am 27 miles from town heading into event central...having party...

There actually is XC schooling in Lancaster, it's located at at Knights Landing Stable (google them, they have a good website). I believe they offer pasture board as well. If you are planning on living in/near the city, Knights Landing is probably the closest place (disclosure, I've never ridden there, but drive by all the time, and it has a good rep. as far as I know). The
    problem with living near Lancaster city, is that you're a fair haul from every nice horse farm (which are all pretty much off in northern/southern boonies) in the county. Best of luck finding a place!
    Last edited by c'est moi; Jan. 3, 2013 at 09:10 PM.

Which side of Lancaster would help. During rush hour it gets busy and if you are on one side, you don't want to have to drive across the city to get to the barn. Lancaster city covers a pretty big area. But there is tons close by! Good luck in your move!

Quote Originally Posted by magicteetango View Post
    A friend rides at Harvest View I believe it is called, she really likes it. Not sure what their amenities are however. You can shoot her a PM, her screen name on here is furlong47. She knows a lot about the area and could probably point you in the right direction of other barns if hers is not what you wanted.
    There's not pasture board available. If trailering in is an option there are lessons/clinics with eventing trainers that you may be able to enjoy. I know of a few places that have pasture board (not sure of openings) but don't have ring lights or an indoor, or aren't eventing barns. Actually hard pressed to think of one meeting all the criteria!

Where you are working should be a consideration for where you intend to live and ride, also. Parts of the county get very, very congested at rush hour. If home, work, and the barn are far apart, you may have trouble getting there quickly. I live on the West side just outside the city, only 2 miles from work, but it can take 15 minutes to get home in the evening. Getting from home/work out to Rt 30, again about 2 miles, can take even longer.

I would say Manheim area is good for barns, there are also a decent number in the Southern end but then you are a bit farther from the big areas of shopping, dining, etc.

Apartment hunting - if you're looking at complexes, make sure to check reviews. There are some very good and some very bad, even though they look ok. I can vouch for the management company I rent from - PMI - I have lived here 6 years and have zero complaints.

Feel welcome to PM if you want more specific local information.