The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Spoiler alerts" gone too far?

I don't mean to call out a specific poster, but just using this as an example: In the Les Mis thread, someone complained that a poster gave away a plot point in this very well-known story that is based on a 150-year-old novel, the subject of the world's most popular musical, and now two movies. Not to mention the person was reading a thread called "Les Mis"!

Is there no place on the internet where we can discuss fictional stories without someone yelping "spoiler alert"? I find that even professional writers get so skeered about it that they'll preface reviews or columns about a novel or movie by warning that spoilers lurk below. But you choose to read a review of a novel. Isn't it inherent that certain plot points will be discussed or hinted at?

Now, I hate major plot spoilers as much as anyone. I'll never forget when someone spoiled the twist of the Sixth Sense for me, out of nowhere, while the movie was new in theaters. If there's a movie I want to see - and don't care if it gets good or bad reviews - I just won't read any reviews about it.

It just seems people are SO sensitive these days. Someone apologized to me recently about telling me one line of dialogue from the movie Argo. One line of dialogue!! It was (SPOILER ALERT!!) "Ar-go f*** yourself." Did that ruin the movie for any of you?

Anyway, just wish we could all relax about SPOILERS. I feel like every internet comment thread has someone mentioning it. It's getting out of hand.

3 members found this post helpful.

The song is called Javert's Suicide *headdesk*

Quote Originally Posted by CiegoStar View Post
    I don't mean to call out a specific poster, but just using this as an example: In the Les Mis thread, someone complained that a poster gave away a plot point in this very well-known story that is based on a 150-year-old novel, the subject of the world's most popular musical, and now two movies. Not to mention the person was reading a thread called "Les Mis"!

Is there no place on the internet where we can discuss fictional stories without someone yelping "spoiler alert"? I find that even professional writers get so skeered about it that they'll preface reviews or columns about a novel or movie by warning that spoilers lurk below. But you choose to read a review of a novel. Isn't it inherent that certain plot points will be discussed or hinted at?

Now, I hate major plot spoilers as much as anyone. I'll never forget when someone spoiled the twist of the Sixth Sense for me, out of nowhere, while the movie was new in theaters. If there's a movie I want to see - and don't care if it gets good or bad reviews - I just won't read any reviews about it.

It just seems people are SO sensitive these days. Someone apologized to me recently about telling me one line of dialogue from the movie Argo. One line of dialogue!! It was (SPOILER ALERT!!) "Ar-go f*** yourself." Did that ruin the movie for any of you?

Anyway, just wish we could all relax about SPOILERS. I feel like every internet comment thread has someone mentioning it. It's getting out of hand.
    Yeah, one would think if you are going into a thread talking about a book/movie/play/etc, chances are the discussion is going to be about things that happened in said work.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    The song is called SPOILER ALERT *headdesk*
    Fixed it for you.

(Although to be fair, in this thread that might actually count as a spoiler!)

I'm not sure I would be concerned about "spoiling" and movie based upon a musical based upon a book that's been out for a century and a half. Heck, the musical's been out for more than 25 years.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by loshad View Post
    I'm not sure I would be concerned about "spoiling" and movie based upon a musical based upon a book that's been out for a century and a half. Heck, the musical's been out for more than 25 years.
    It's really sad but I know people that don't realize Les Mis is actually a classic book, much less who Victor Hugo was.

PS. the titanic sinks!

Seriously when the movie came out people were upset that the titanic sank! It was an actual event! HELLO PEOPLE attend history class?

I swear people live with blinders on.

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    PS. the titanic sinks!
    Thanks for spoiling it for me

5 members found this post helpful.

I agree that spoiler alerts are more appropriate for contemporary works, sports games, and reality show winners. A good classic story is not ruined by knowing key details. Is a good production of Romeo and Juliet ruined if you know they die in the end? Besides [Spoiler Alert] it's easier to keep a list of who doesn't die that who does die in Les Mis.

To take your example, and I'm sorry someone spoiled Sixth Sense for you while it was in the theater, that writer's movies tend to rely on gotcha-type tricks that are fun to watch but are easily ruined if someone tells you the surprise. Knowing plot points of Les Mis is quite different.

Now let's be careful not to spoil what happens in the movie Lincoln (which I thought they handled in a very moving way, by the way).

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't like surprises, and would not have seen Sophie's Choice, if I didn't know the plot first. Especially with horrific things, knowing let's me decide if I really want to see it.

PS. the titanic sinks!

Seriously when the movie came out people were upset that the titanic sank! It was an actual event! HELLO PEOPLE attend history class?

That's what I was going to say. You spoiled it!
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

PS. the titanic sinks!

It made me laugh the first time we showed Apollo 13 to a middle school class. None of them had any clue about the real event and so all were riveted to the screen wondering what would happen to the astronauts.

Although the great thing about that movie is that even though it's based on a historical event and the outcome is therefore predetermined, Every. Single Time. I see it, I wonder if they're going to make it this time. Such a good movie.

As for spoilers, IMO, giving away the plot twist in a new movie like Sixth Sense is pretty rude. It's not based on a preexisting story (if there was a novel first, it wasn't a huge hit that everyone has read) and it's figuring out the twist that makes it good. So, spoiler not cool!

OTOH, for something like Les Mis, which has been around in various forms for 150 years, including a novel that is considered a classic, several movies and a musical, telling people the title of a song in the musical should hardly spoil anything. Ditto movies based on historical events. Unless the movie is meant to be an alternate universe kind of thing, well, it already happened. The Titanic sank, the crew of Apollo 13 made it home safely, etc. Talking about any of that isn't a spoiler, because it already happened in real life.

Hey, now Ciego, I hadn't read the Les Mis thread yet. You totally spoiled the drama that's there. So disappointed in you. I was really looking forward to that thread and you totally ruined it for me.

"Aye God, Woodrow..."

Shortly after Titanic was rereleased in 3D last spring, this happened. And these are just a few folks who tweeted their inexcusable ignorance, which means THERE ARE MORE OF THEM OUT THERE WITHOUT TWITTER ACCOUNTS.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit