The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Get away from it all! Where would you live, if you could live anywher in 2013

So every year, I have the same fantasy. I leave VA and go live somewhere else. I can't really leave, of course, because I have SO, my mom, dad, step brother, friends, plus the two ponies, the office, the partner, the new partner, the office, the house, the car, the bills and so on. However, in my fantasy, I am free, a different me, who lives... this year it is Milan. I have never been to Milan, but the me who lives there is fashionable and eats Italian food and wears stilleto heels and a red scarf, and doesn't have a job, but sits in a cafe all day in the yellow sun light.

So, if you could live anywhere in 2013, where would it be?

2 members found this post helpful.

hmmm
    I have several fantasy destinations.

I am a closet welsh girl...so probably somewhere near the southern coast of Wales. Stunning place!

We do spend some time at a beach rental a couple of weeks each year, but that is really just a vacation spot....too many stairs and way too much sand!

And then there are those dreamy little villages in the Alps....although I am sure the hills and such would get on my nerves in a hurry!
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Ooh. Don't go to Milan. One of the ugliest cities I've ever been to. Florence is amazing, though. I was stunned when I was in Italy by the ugliest shoes I've ever seen. They all looked like bowling shoes with pointed toes. Maybe it's changed since then.

If I went away for a year, it would definitely be in an island where all I needed was a tank top, shorts and flip flops and could snorkel or dive all day and eat fresh seafood and fruit. Lots of options--Hawaii, Honduras, Curacao/Bonaire, Bali, Thailand . . .

dh and i may postpone our business plans and run away for a year if we can pull it off.
    we're discussing italy and the celtic islands.

Hahahaha!

For me, I live at one Suzanne Perkins' other properties in California. My original favorite property 5600 Armour Ranch Rd. was sold but I'll take the MJ ranch or one of the others on the coast if I HAD to board my horses. I originally started fantasizing about these properties when they were originally advertised in the USHA/USEF mags. Now I fantasize about them online.

In any event, I ride my horses in my regulation size dressage arena or over a small cross country course during the day and wear long dresses in the evening, even when I'm walking around my property with an expensive red wine in hand. I have large dogs and my friends visit as they please and stay for lengths of time. I do the SoCal shows when I feel like it.

Yep, that's where I'm going in 2013...
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Somewhere in the Salzkammergut region in Austria. I don't think I've ever seen anything as beautiful. I could sightsee, hike, write, work on improving my nearly nonexistent German language skills...

Mmmmm. Can I start with Mexico and then just work my way around the entire world?
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I did forget the PNW region....hmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Wales-home of my ancestors. I'd live in a cottage and have horses, a pony or two, border collies, corgis, jrts, and some springer spaniels. I'd walk around in my riding clothes and wellies and drink lots of tea while sitting by the fire.

San Francisco, in a super narrow but beautiful victorian, perhaps in SOMA or the Mission, photographer by day, standup comedian by night...

Hey, I never claimed to be realistic!

1 members found this post helpful.

Deserted tropical island by myself and my pets. Any tropical island paradise will do.

That's my "if I become filthy rich" fantasy. On more practical locations, either the Keys or Cocoa Beach (I dunno why. I just really like Cocoa Beach).
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Quote Originally Posted by ManyDogs View Post
    Wales-home of my ancestors. I'd live in a cottage and have horses, a pony or two, border collies, corgis, jrts, and some springer spaniels. I'd walk around in my riding clothes and wellies and drink lots of tea while sitting by the fire.
    Stealing your fantasy, thanks.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would say either the south island of New Zealand or Austria/Switzerland. I grew up on the beach but every since I've moved to the mountains I've completely fallen in love.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Back to Edinburgh with a house in the Scottish Highlands for the weekends. Probably somewhere near Loch Tay so the drive isn't too far. The house would of course have a small barn with a field or two for the ponies, and someone to look after them when I wasn't there. In Edinburgh I'd have my apartment somewhere off Dundas St in New Town or in Stockbridge. Ahhhh perfect life.

I'd have other vacation homes in the French Alps, Paris, and London. Hey, if I'm going to dream, I'll dream big!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey