The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Marin County Fundraising/Auction/Donation Page ?????

http://www.leg-up.org/marin-county-f...tion-page.html

While I find it amazing to see everyone stepping up ~ The phrase "A Day Late & A Dollar Short" comes to mind. I for one have known about this travesty for over 4 years ~ how many others did? Why did so many breeders, organizations, and people enable this program? WHY?!?! Sorry but I had to get this off my chest and everyone knows who they are... just saying
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    http://www.bydesignfarm.com
    Check us out on Facebook

1 members found this post helpful.

So what have you been doing for the past 4 years to educate and inform?

"Better late than never" comes to mind

5 members found this post helpful.

I think many times people are afraid to say something, for fear of being "blackballed". Not an excuse, I know, but the horse industry is a "small world".

and more than one COTH member has posted that when he/she tried to say something negative they were bashed for it......... others have been trying to do something for a long time...........

but if someone is still actively enabling, in any way, well, that's a travesty in and of itself.

That may be true, and your anger may be justified, but, it is in the past. Get angry, and then move past that anger. Do something now, for these horses, or for other horses that you know to be in a perilous situation.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    That may be true, and your anger may be justified, but, it is in the past. Get angry, and then move past that anger. Do something now, for these horses, or for other horses that you know to be in a perilous situation.
    I would say that in addition to this... take people's concerns seriously.

If I hear one more person accuse someone of being "jealous" when they speak up about something that they believe in or when they bring up honest concerns about animal cruelty and/or abuse, I'm going to rip all my hair out.

Honestly, I am not "jealous" of people with nice horses that abuse them. Really, I'm not.

I think that the main reason that something is happening now is because JB was foolish enough to move to Marin County where they take animal welfare seriously. If it had not been for that move, things would probably remain in limbo.

As others have stated, better late than never. Fine to question why it lasted so long, but better to be part of the solution in any way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post

3 members found this post helpful.

WHY?!?!
    Because every time something was said by people familiar with this media it got flamed by 5 JB Alters and 5 clueless supporters of her program. (many of which were owed breedings or horses) so it effectively never went anywhere but a black mark on the person that tried to bring it on. Lets face it we all like to see the best in people and the last thing we want to see is to publicly condemn somebody unless we really know the facts of a serious problem and most people still really do not know the facts
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

9 members found this post helpful.

While the horses are just now receiving support, don't think those previous threads on CoTH did nothing, even when the dissenter was attacked. I've been reading for years, especially looking at people's opinions on stallions (as I cannot travel across the country to make a breeding decision, and won't believe everything a stallion owners says), and those threads certainly caught my attention. I liked the look of two of her stallions, but a few threads raised enough questions that I scratched them off my list and encouraged others to do the same.

If shady business is going on, I want nothing to do with the SO, and I think there are probably others like me out there, who even though they don't speak up, do use information gathered in this manner. I wish the whole implosion could have happened sooner, for the horses sake, but word does travel and it hurts business.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    I would say that in addition to this... take people's concerns seriously.

If I hear one more person accuse someone of being "jealous" when they speak up about something that they believe in or when they bring up honest concerns about animal cruelty and/or abuse, I'm going to rip all my hair out.

Honestly, I am not "jealous" of people with nice horses that abuse them. Really, I'm not.
    Don't rip your hair out - you'll become bald!!

I agree though, that as a community it is better to actively step up and support the person as potentially having valid concerns. Sometimes the concerns are valid. Sometimes they are not. But it is better not to lump them all into one pot of soup.
    http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Quote Originally Posted by rodawn View Post
    Don't rip your hair out - you'll become bald!!

I agree though, that as a community it is better to actively step up and support the person as potentially having valid concerns. Sometimes the concerns are valid. Sometimes they are not. But it is better not to lump them all into one pot of soup.
    Do what I do and buy hair!

It is only about 2 dozen ... not an entire community
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    Check us out on Facebook

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SMK View Post
    While the horses are just now receiving support, don't think those previous threads on CoTH did nothing, even when the dissenter was attacked. I've been reading for years, especially looking at people's opinions on stallions (as I cannot travel across the country to make a breeding decision, and won't believe everything a stallion owners says), and those threads certainly caught my attention. I liked the look of two of her stallions, but a few threads raised enough questions that I scratched them off my list and encouraged others to do the same.

If shady business is going on, I want nothing to do with the SO, and I think there are probably others like me out there, who even though they don't speak up, do use information gathered in this manner. I wish the whole implosion could have happened sooner, for the horses sake, but word does travel and it hurts business.
    I'm so glad to hear this. I was one of the people who tried to speak up about the huge number of horses she had on 2.5 acres but was told that JB's and her friends (probably alters) were PMing everyone saying I was jeaslous of JB because her black stallion was getting more breedings than my black stallion. I just gave up because bad public opinoin can kill your business. It was really hurtful because I was (and am now) really concerned about her broodmares and foals. It had nothing to do with "competing for stallion breedings".
    www.MarabetFarm.com
    Standing Balt'Amour, Bliss MF & Carry On MF

Sales, Stallion & Young Horse training, lessons
    Foaling, Collecting Stallions, ET, Custom Breeding

2 members found this post helpful.

~ Bill Rube ~
    Check us out on Facebook

I would not say it is too little too late. At this point with this kind of public scrutiny and support the Marin Humane Society will not let these horses suffer or die. Without the Humane Society's intervention, no one in the know could literally help the horses, though they may have wanted to. There were plenty of people brave enough to speak up and their voice did make a difference, even if it seemed to them they were just getting a black eye over it.