The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Google turns up a (now expired) Craigslist Philly ad for someone selling an 'as-new' Arden Square Prestige Sealy Hotel Collection pillowtop. Ad was November 2012.

My guess is this is from a Hotel line (a lot of hotels now advertise their mattress brands and make them available for purchase through exclusive catalog deals, and obviously hotels aren't buying retail, they're buying wholesale) and the warehouse stores get them as overstock or discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Google turns up a (now expired) Craigslist Philly ad for someone selling an 'as-new' Arden Square Prestige Sealy Hotel Collection pillowtop. Ad was November 2012.
    Yes, that is the only thing I could find as well. (and I don't consider that as counting, since it has no facts or information) Just strange nothing else turns up. Guess I will just wait and see what happens tomorrow. I will keep everyone posted on what happens.

I wouldn't have purchased this one if I knew it was discontinued - the salesperson was adamant that it was not, but I'm pretty certain by now that he was quite the liar.

1 members found this post helpful.

My guess is this is from a Hotel line (a lot of hotels now advertise their mattress brands and make them available for purchase through exclusive catalog deals, and obviously hotels aren't buying retail, they're buying wholesale) and the warehouse stores get them as overstock or discontinued.
    I'm going with this as well. Chances are your "Hotel Collection" mattress was made for...a hotel. And therefore not usually available to the public, so not advertised. If you like the mattress, I would not worry. What exactly do you think is wrong with it?
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

2 members found this post helpful.

You COULD just call/e-mail Sealy and ask.
    LOL I guess I could do that (duh, why didn't I think of that?!) May do that tomorrow before my dad goes in to talk to them and see what they say about it.

I think I would try a couple of things. I did note online that Sealy did recently make a deal with a furniture chain to sell one of its hotel mattresses, so perhaps they have done that there as well. I agree with calling/emailing Sealy directly and find out if they make a mattress with that name.

It looks like Mattress Warehouse is also a regional chain. Could you contact their corporate customer service and ask about the mattress? Perhaps the salesman either called it by an incorrect name accidentally OR, if he misrepresented it it on purpose, I'm sure corporate would like to know that their employee is misrepresenting merchandise in order to make a sale/commission. If he was actually selling you the cheaper mattress under a false brand name for a markup and pocketing he additional money, I'm sure they'd want to know!

If you like the mattress and found it comfortable, I wouldn't worry too much unless the store or salesman was indeed lying to make a sale. If it's being delivered to you from the warehouse, check the label and see what it says as far as brand and name...I doubt they would actually change the label on a mattress (and if they did, you'd find evidence of that). Companies keep detailed inventories, so if the salesman was actually changing labels, that would show up when there were fewer of he cheap mattress than there should have been. If the mattress is labeled as advertised, then perhaps it WAS a closeout or something and he was just misinformed. If it was discontinued, why would that bother you if you liked it and got a good deal? Companies discontinue items all the time as they develop new ones, and that doesn't mean the old product was bad.

This sounds like buyer's remorse to me. Of course my family doesn't get too het up about matresses either. We have had the same ones for about 20 years with just the addition of a memory foam topper. No princess and the pea here in this clan! I've also never had a single issue with any mattress I have owned; never had any defects or need to return one.

It seems this is all about pricing and whether or not the OP overpaid or not. Personally, if I were sleeping on the floor on an air mattress, I would not be delaying my move to a real bed.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

http://www.us-mattress.com/hotel-mattress.html

Goggled Sealy wholesale hotel
    There are two mattress manufacturers who are located in Arden square north Carolina. Is that nearby?