The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Negro - Who's using him in 2013?

With Valegro (sadly not a stallion) scoring higher than Totilas and now holding a record score in GP, is the next best thing Negro? He just got approved by Hanoverian and GOV which makes him even more enticing. What does he would cross well with? Anybody?

He is not "the next best thing" unless you haven't been paying attention for a few years and only an Olympic Gold Medal and World Record gets your attention, in which case you might be a fad breeder imo (not you horsey1cr . I'm happy to see him get his due as a sire, but it also means there will be breedings taking place that maybe shouldn't be just because he sired Valegro. 2013 will see our fourth breeding to Negro. We have two Negro foals on the ground, and expecting another this June 2013, which will be under contract. Have been a fan of this stallion long before Valegro made his Daddy proud. The KWPN has info about Negro as a sire and folks should check there first. I have crossed him with Flemmingh lines in two instances of mares in my case; have another foal coming with a sire that has Negro as the dam sire in another that will be double Ulft. Interested parties should read what the KWPN has to say about him as they know quite well the horse and his offspring.
    Last edited by Indy-lou; Jan. 2, 2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: clarify

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by horsey1cr View Post
    With Valegro (sadly not a stallion)
    I did read that Carl Hester owns Valegro's full sister and bred her to Uthopia, he is a fan of Negro himself.
    http://www.vanolsthorses.com/wp-cont...egro_CH_HH.pdf

Yes, Carl has been a Negro fan for a very long time.
    Last edited by Indy-lou; Jan. 2, 2013 at 09:53 AM.

Not clear on what you are saying Perfect Pony. If you are referring to Negro as a North American stallion, that is not the case. He is represented by Hilltop only with frozen semen as he stands at Van Olst Stables in the Netherlands, where he has always been. Hilltop only reps his frozen semen in North America.

Here is a link to the foal report for Negro from the KWPN. This is translated from Dutch to English. http://hengsten.kwpn.nl/openbaar/abo...nr=H0000003391
    Anyone familiar with how the KWPN uses terms knows that they do not give bouquets of flowers in their descriptions, but rather cut to the chase in blunt fashion.

I have always admired Negro and lamented that he wasn't available to Hanoverian breeders. But now that he is approved, I find I do not have a mare to use with him!

The way it goes, I guess!
    Fleur de Lis Hanoverians

Quote Originally Posted by Indy-lou View Post
    Not clear on what you are saying Perfect Pony. If you are referring to Negro as a North American stallion, that is not the case. He is represented by Hilltop only with frozen semen as he stands at Van Olst Stables in the Netherlands, where he has always been. Hilltop only reps his frozen semen in North America.
    Oh lol, I always just saw his name on the stallion page and thought he was there! Weird way to advertise his frozen semen. For the first time I actually read the stallion page at Hilltop and realized only some of the stallions actually exist there!

This is a long document from the KWPN, but if you scroll through to page 37 or 38 (the stallions are in alphabetical order) the linear score sheet for Negro gives the KWPN's scoring of his conformation and other data from his stallion test. This might help in determining what sort of mare he best pairs with conformation-wise. http://hengsten.kwpn.nl/beeld/najaar...009%202010.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Indy-lou View Post
    This is a long document from the KWPN, but if you scroll through to page 37 or 38 (the stallions are in alphabetical order) the linear score sheet for Negro gives the KWPN's scoring of his conformation and other data from his stallion test. This might help in determining what sort of mare he best pairs with conformation-wise. http://hengsten.kwpn.nl/beeld/najaar...009%202010.pdf
    Thanks so much for this info Indy-lou! You have been quite helpful.