The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Good books for the new or unsophisticated horse owner?

My DD has an older teen friend. She's participating in IHSA now and taking lessons for the first time in her life, the family has had a horse for her for eight years.

I picked up a copy of Story's training horses (because the family has picked up a couple of PMU foals and one is now of an age to be trained) on sale a while back to give to her but she clearly needs to know some basic stuff. She has been a natural rider and did well at her IHSA shows but there is a lot of stuff she just _doesn't_know. (I know this because her photos show up on my FB feed and I'm seeing some odd stuff.)

I've offered to take her to my trainer's over the summer and have made the offer again, I sincerely doubt she'll take me up on it but I can hope, but in the meantime what books are out there?

I've searched and Pony Club Manuals are mentioned, also Horses for Dummies, what else is out there with basic beginner stuff, easy to read yet comprehensive? Basic horse care and feeding, tack selection and fit, tack care, basic description of seats, like that.

(My intent is to defriend her as she was on my feed only due to my DD, so I won't be seeing anything that will inspire me to meddle more, but I'd like to make an effort to leave her with some resources for the sake of the horses.)
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Storey's Training Horses book is about as basic as you can get. I personally found it to be too basic.

So she has owned a horse for eight years but has not taken lessons until now? I'm not sure I understand the situation. Where has the horse been all this time?

1 members found this post helpful.

I LOVED this book as a teenager new to horses:

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Hors.../dp/0385177887

The writing is good and it covers a lot of topics well.

I would seek out a used copy of John Richard Young's "Schooling for Young Riders."

The real challenge for a rider like you describe is... that if she actively wanted the information, she should have found it. She may not be a very strong reader.

Consider also a magazine subscription. Lots of pictures, simple articles; they might draw her in better than a book would.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I think you've already done what you can, in terms of intervening. You've already given her a basic book and offered lessons, and she's not interested. If I tried anything further, it would be a DVD--probably more engaging for a teenager than a big book.
    But then you have to walk away. She doesn't think she needs it, and her parents don't seem to think so if they're buying foals for her to train. (Put yourself in her shoes: assuming you are not a parelli-ite, it would be like some acquaintance giving you, unsolicited, a book on Parelli and telling you it would be good if you started doing Parelli.)

It's a tough situation-- your heart is in the right place and kudos for caring enough to try.

Just leave her to her own devices and quit meddling.

There are enough people out there who WANT help that you can spend your time and energy on if you so choose.

Maybe casually give her the books, you read them, does she want them? And you can turn her "off" in your FB newsfeed without de-friending her. (Right click on her name in your feed, I believe.)

I found Cherry Hill very basic, but useful for somebody who had not been taught the basics yet, things like hoof picking, grooming, bathing. Very basic stuff. My fiancé loved those books because he doesn't ride, but wanted to educate himself so he could help with our new four-legged acquisition (new at the time).
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Yes, it has occured to me that if she wanted to learn about this stuff there are online resources, there are libraries to check out books, etc. I get the feeling she is very sheltered, although she is at a college out of state.
    Her horse has been kept at home and she has ridden at home, they have a largish acreage. I learned to ride without benefit of lessons, it's not impossible, it just takes longer and bad habits are easily formed, plus there usually isn't anyone around to tell you that your bit is on the bridle upside down.

Thanks for the tip on shutting off her feed. I'll give her the book casually and hope for the best.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible