The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Udder on non-pregnant mare...

My mare's udder always seems slightly swollen and it makes a "gelding sound" when I ride. This has been the case since I bought her 4 years ago, so I don't believe it's a "false pregnancy" symptom.
    Any ideas on why it would be like this and how to reduce it?
    It doesn't bother her in any way and the vet was no help when I asked him about it except to say it wasn't a problem.

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

First thoughts that come to mind are cushings or mastitis which can occur in non pregnant mares. I would be telling the vet to check first and then he can tell me not to worry.
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Is she a former broodmare? My ex-broodmare has larger udders than my never bred mare. Just another thought...

If this has been going on for a long time, it's exceedingly unlikely that it's mastitis. I did have mastitis in a dry mare once, and it progressed rapidly.

Some mares are just very well endowed! I knew one as a teenager that was routinely mistaken for a gelding--she had that much equipment.

High levels of phytoestrogens can cause a mare to bag up and actually produce secretions. They're commonly found in plants like soy, alfalfa, and clover.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Good catch Simkie, I was in a rush and my meds had just kicked in, I didn't see that she said "always" so no, I'm sorry mastitis would not be it but the other suggestions are good too!
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

I've noticed my former broodie has larger udders than most but not enough to make sound. They also swelled in reaction to a wound she had on her hind end but I doubt this is the issue since its a long time issue.

You do keep up with cleaning, right?

Does it go down when she works? My mare's udder started swelling within a month after starting her on Depo Provera to control her cycles. Still does it now that she has been switched to Regumate. You can even milk some clear fluid from it. I lived in TX at the time, it was during the summer, so we were worried about Pigeon fever at first but ultrasounded it and there was no sign on abscesses, also no heat. We have come to the conclusion that it is probably lymph fluid that is collecting there, like a horse would stock up in their hind legs, because if she is exercised or turned out it goes away completely, but if allowed to sit comes back within a day. And I have had two different vets look at it.

Thanks for all your thoughts. I will have to check whether it goes down after exercise.
    Yes, I have to clean her quite regularly because she does seem to collect more yuck than other mares.
    She's had 2 foals, about 5 years ago, now.

I could certainly do without the noise when we work!

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.