The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Riding Sidesaddle...On A Motorcycle?

One does have to wonder if Hizzonor has ever sat on one?

The mayor of a town in Indonesia is facing widespread backlash after pushing a regulation to ban female passengers from straddling motorcycles...

...The regulation would force female passengers to ride "side-saddle" to avoid violating Islamic values...
    SOURCE:
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Makes one thankful to be born in the land of the free. I can't believe the oppression woman face in some parts of the world.

2 members found this post helpful.

Truly sad.

If only women could stay at home in a dark closet, never speak and only make babies when needed...

puke icon

Are we in 2013?

Stupid and Sad, but it is doable. Just watched Diane Lane do it in Under the Tuscan Sun. Of course, that was a scooter.... not a 1200 GS doing 100mph across the arizona desert.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Our local motocross track had a "sidesaddle" rule in the pits to keep people from tearing around and running over innocent bystanders between races. Too many guys fell over, I guess, because it didn't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by downen View Post
    Our local motocross track had a "sidesaddle" rule in the pits to keep people from tearing around and running over innocent bystanders between races. Too many guys fell over, I guess, because it didn't last long.
    Fore/aft balance is a lot more difficult than side-side balance for many people... which means your pillion may not be able to control balance effectively in a corner. Especially at pit speeds...
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    If only women could stay at home in a dark closet, never speak and only make babies when needed...

puke icon
    I would have been culled at an early age then. This country may have it's issues, but I thank my lucky stars everyday I wasn't born in a country where women are still repressed.
    Dreaming in Color

1 members found this post helpful.

Recently read an article in our local paper about a woman riding her bike across Afghanistan. Here's a quote from the article:
    "Among Afghans, her work has inspired mixed reactions; some are amazed, others curious and many surprised at what she's doing. In some of the villages she passes through, the locals have never seen a woman on a bicycle before.

“I had one man say to me, with this very shocked look on his face, how impressed he was, that it takes a lot of intelligence to ride a bike, alluding that that's why women don't ride bikes,” she said. “It became an interesting conversation starter.” "

Interesting article!
    http://www.summitdaily.com/article/2...profile=search
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Thanks for the link Bearcat, it is an interesting article!

But it also depresses me. The amount of ignorance and oppression in parts of the world. Doesn’t give me much hope for the region.

Reminds me of the stories I have read about the difficulties of training the Afghani military / police force. They have a 90% illiteracy rate, and some member do not even know how to COUNT. http://www.npr.org/2012/05/02/151877...for-u-s-troops

When people have been oppressed, and denied education for so long – it really proves to be an insurmountable obstacle to progress. It is easy to force extreme religious views (like women are not intelligent enough to ride a bike! I guess they have not seen a bear or a monkey ride one before!) on a population that has been denied basic education and critical thinking skills.