The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

2001 Jetta TDI, 235k miles, 5 speeed manual, 48 mpg (lost a step, used to get 50). Bought it as a lease return at the end of 2001 with 16k miles on it. Stunningly cheap to drive, has had some maintenance neglected, and still ticking along. Does eat the right rear taillight on a frequent schedule, but I'll put up with that. Seems that the VWs either die a quick, lemony death, or go forever.

And I do like it. It's peppy and it has heated seats. :-) I also feel smug that it gets better mileage than a prius, but uses a less refined fuel and doesn't have toxic batteries in it that will eventually fail.

1 members found this post helpful.

We currently have two 2010 Jetta TDIs. I had a 2003, which I killed in 2010, and thus was forced to buy another one. I shopped around, but came back to the Jetta TDI -- perfect mix of sensible (mileage +) and yet really fun to drive.

Cannot emphasize this enough, on earlier models especially:

Biggest concern- change the timing belt every 100K. If the timing belt goes, so does the engine. It costs about $1000 to do but it is worth it. This is my 4th or 5th VW so I was well aware of the timing belt issue and I just budget for it.
    You will be heartbroken if you do not do this and it breaks on you. Poof -- an asset worth about 5k, becomes instantly worth about $500, and will cost $3500 to fix.

Stupidest mistake I've made to date.

Love, love, love the car. This is my third black jetta, and the second TDI. Just could not make myself buy something else, even when I looked around hard before committing.

After doing the research for my car, DH traded his Toyota two weeks later and bought one too.
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

Just over a year ago, we bought a 2012 jetta sportwagon TDI. Very fun!! I get about 40 mpg, hoping to get better as the engine breaks in more. I have about 15k miles on it right now. I love how it drives, the HUGE sunroof is beautiful (especially on clear nights), and I have had no trouble finding gas stations that sell diesel. I would recommend this car to anyone

Quote Originally Posted by BayRoan View Post
    2001 Jetta TDI, 235k miles, 5 speeed manual, 48 mpg (lost a step, used to get 50). Bought it as a lease return at the end of 2001 with 16k miles on it. Stunningly cheap to drive, has had some maintenance neglected, and still ticking along. Does eat the right rear taillight on a frequent schedule, but I'll put up with that. Seems that the VWs either die a quick, lemony death, or go forever.
    My Jetta is also a 2001 and I've had problems with taillights as well. Try unscrewing and rescrewing the bulb in before you totally replace it - sometimes that works for my car. The 2001s definitely have electrical problems

I'm curious, have you had to replace your power windows at all? That's another known problem with the 2001s. I've had to replace two myself. I'm just curious since you brought up your taillight, apparently the rear lights and the power windows are common complaints with that year.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Interesting.

Well, looks like this is the route we'll be going then. I need a commuter, and after driving trucks all my life, or patrol cars with beefier suspensions, everything felt sort of...rinky. The Subaru was super nice, especially with that CVT, but I don't want to plunk down $28k+ on a car
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Love, love, loved my '98 diesel Jetta! I bought it from my Mom when I graduated and when she bought her 6th consecutive diesel Jetta. I drove that car everywhere, put a gillion km on it, got 1100 km to a tank, and didn't really have too many problems with it, considering it was 14 yrs old when I traded it. I have to give props to VW for standing behind their cars too - at about 12 years old, I got a rust spot on a fender, and they replaced it for me, no questions asked. When I traded my car in on my 2012 VW Beetle, I got a pretty good amount towards my new vehicle, and my Jetta was sold off the dealer's lot within the week. I really can't say enough about how good that car was to me. Mom has had 6 Jettas in total now, all diesel, and besides one that was a disaster (VW recognized that and replaced it), all have been great cars! I love my new car (it's a serious upgrade from a 14 year old car!), but would have gotten it in diesel if the option had been available. Unfortunately, the diesel model wasn't to be released until 2013, so wasn't available when I was car shopping in August.

We owned a 1981 diesel Rabbit and loved it. Fifty mpg back then, lots of pep, and great performance in the snow made it easy to keep. Parts are more expensive for VW than for Honda, which is why we didn't go back to VW when it came time to replace the car. Throw on Michelin Alpine Pilot snow tires onto a Honda Civic, and you have the same reliable performance, in a cheaper package to maintain and repair. Gas mileage lowers to 38-40 mpg with this combination.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

This Summer I drove my BIL's 1980 VW Rabbit Diesel, that he inherited from his father. 250,000 km on the engine (he has another car he drives most of the time), it survived the 2005 Paris riots, was a bit burnt in the process, is a very basic car by all modern standards, but still going strong! My college age daughter had invited a couple of her American room mates to stay with us for a couple weeks and they swooned over that little car. "It's VINTAGE!"
    lol
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Hubby bought a diesel 2006 Jetta Tdi(?) from a dealer last year & really likes it. Really nice, smooth, quiet drive & good mileage. And he has a LONG commute. Like minimum 90 minutes each way if the traffic isn't too bad.

I have a 95 VW Cabrio (convertible - bought used, top was in absolutely mint condition ). I ADORE IT. With the hot and fiery passion of a thousand suns. I know VWs have a bit of a rep, and I do need to get a little bit of work done on it, but by far my favorite car that I've ever owned. Not diesel btw...but I think, even though I'm only about 4 months into my VW ownership, that I will always have one now. Love it so much. Fingers crossed it isn't just a honeymoon period.

Well, I still want one, but it's been put on hold. I was on the fast track to get picked up at a new agency, but pulled my app . DH is having another shoulder surgery at the end of the month and if it doesn't work, then the Navy may medically retire him. No mention of the fact that it was the Navy surgeon who screwed up, but on the off chance that the civilian guy can't fix him, I can't risk it. The joys of law enforcement; the first year you are hired, you are at-will. I have seniority and a union contract where I am now, so I'm staying.

But we'll probably get one when we buy property off the island. Just have to get the house to sell now .
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Default 2012 Passat TDI

love it, love it, love it. gets about 40 mpg and is very comfortable. I have waited for 4 years for this model to be available in this country and am glad I did.

Forgot to add that my brother had a 79 or 80 Rabbit diesel that ran for years. The car body finally literally fell off the diesel engine. And we had a 84 gas Rabbit that we finally sold to my nephews for driving lessons. Love those VW

I don't personally own a VW, but I do help manage our vehicle fleet at work and we have several VW Jettas that run on diesel. I can't remember off the top of my head what years the cars are, but we bought them all used. So far they've been running great and are the favorite among employees.
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    I'm curious, have you had to replace your power windows at all? That's another known problem with the 2001s. I've had to replace two myself. I'm just curious since you brought up your taillight, apparently the rear lights and the power windows are common complaints with that year.
    The passenger side front window refused to roll up several years ago (made for a cold drive home). I don't think the little motor went out, I think it somehow fell off it's groove or something so that it was just sitting down in the door. I don't recall having to replace the motor when it went to the dealer, just pay for them to retrieve it out of the door and put it right again.

The taillights are usually burnt out when they go out, but sometimes we can wiggle them around or give the side of the car a good whack by the light and it will work again, for awhile. lol The heated seats still work. :-) We recently had to replace the driver's side headlight. THAT is a pain in the rear, as the battery and battery case have to come out to get to it, but at 237k miles, I imagine the thing just burnt out.

2006 Jetta wagon TDI and 1885 diesel golf here. Love them and they will love you back for years and years.

2012 Jetta TDi owner here. LOVE it! Though, the new Jetta Hybrids look amazing as well!
    "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

Check on the LemonAid website - some are made in Mexico, some Germany.
    Our waggon was made in Germany, but still had issues, especially the electrical - always replacing a bulb. But it is a 2003 and we still have it, and love the mileage it gets, and the waggon space for grain, et.c
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

2010 Jetta Sportwagon TDI here. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my car. I average close to 40 mpg, but have gotten over 50 on some trips. Sporty, roomy and the best seat heaters ever. I will keep this for as long as possible, which will hopefully be a long time (Steuart is now driving my 2002 Corolla -treats the poor thing like a farm truck- which has close to 265K miles on it, so we keep 'em going)
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.