The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone have a VW diesel?

If so, what do you have? Year, make, model, do you like it?

Test drove nine cars yesterday (thought I was going to die), and other than the 2013 Subaru Impreza that we are NOT getting, I liked the 2006 Jetta the best. Consumer Reports is okay about the Jetta, but gives the Golf higher marks, and I admit I like the hatchback a bit more than a sedan. My dad just got a Passat and loves it.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Love my gas Passat wagon. I would totally have gotten it in diesel if that had been an option at the time...
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

My husband has a VW GTI hatchback. I can't remember the year but it's 7-8 years old. It's very sporty and fun to drive (5-speed) and gets about 55 mpg so it's very economical to drive.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

My BFF in Oregon has a OLD diesel Jetta. She has close to 300,000 miles on it. She refuses to trade it in. She says she gets something like 50 mpg on it.

I had a gas Passat in the early 90s and it was the worst lemon I have ever owned. I got rid of it after two years when it stopped in the middle of the highway on me where there was no breakdown lane. The next day I drove it straight to the Toyota dealer and left with a Corolla.

I would never buy a VW again, no matter how much they have "improved" them.

If you are looking at a small hatchback, go look at the Hyundai Elantra Touring. I love mine. It is 2 years old and has 54K on it. It is a basic, bare-bones car with plenty of space and good visibility. I get about 27-30 mpg on the highway with it. The Hyundai Elantra was car of the year in three or four ratings last year. Very, very reliable.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I have a 2011 Jetta TDI. Even though diesel is more expensive than gas, it works out to less $$$, as this car gets ridiculous mpg. Plus it's fun to drive!

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a 2012 VW Golf TDI. Love it! I'm getting 39 mpg in the city, and maybe 44 -48 highway at higher speeds. I tried a slow, steady 45 mph economy drive, and the trip mileage computer said I got 58 mpg. Mileage will decrease when the A/C is on. Mine has the sunroof and navigation system and it's very fun to drive.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

I have a 2010 Jetta Sportwagon TDI and love it. Getting close to 50 mpg and have had no problems with it at all. Friend of mine just got one too, after research and good reports of mine!
    \"I never play horseshoes \'cause Mother taught us not to throw our clothes around,\" ~ Mr. Ed

I've never owned a diesel, but I have owned both a Golf and a Jetta.

In my experience VWs are extremely hardy. Take care of the car and you'll have it forever. My Golf was a hand-me-down from my dad actually...it was in our family its entire life. I retired it at 21 yrs old not because of anything wrong with it. The body was starting to rust through.

My Golf got much better mileage than my Jetta.

Good luck searching

ETA - My brother owns a Passat, actually. He had a lot of problems with it when he first bought it (it was used) but after some work the last couple of years it's been pretty good also. It has the worst mileage out of our three VWs.

I dunno how the mileage on our cars would compare to the diesel versions, but just putting it out there for your consideration.

Out of the three I liked the Golf the best.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

2011 Jetta Sportswagen manual trans. diesel w/ sunroof. Love it. Fun to drive and good mileage. Of course my last car was a 1995 Saturn so anything would be a step up!

We bought a Jetta Sportwagen TDI earlier this year to replace (proactively) our van, which has almost 300,000 miles on it. It gets almost 50MPG on the highway and over 36 for straight nasty city driving.

We love the car. It easily fits my family, my dogs, and all the stuff we might want for a dog show or a trip.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

VW does diesel very well. Later models have good reliability. However, most German cars like to be well-cared for, unlike most Japanese cars that can take some neglect

'98 Jetta TDI. Love it! It has it's quirks, though. Expensive parts for one, and it likes to eat wheel bearings. I haven't figured mileage in a while- I can't 'cuz the speedometer is broke- good thing it's a stick, I use the tach to know how fast I'm going.

I have a 2004 VW Jetta TDI. Just over 181K on it and I hope it lasts another 9 years at least. Mine is a 5 speed and I average over 45 mpg. I bought it new and have had very few issues with it. It is quick, sporty and a LOT of fun to drive. It has a lot of power on the highway and handles well.

Biggest concern- change the timing belt every 100K. If the timing belt goes, so does the engine. It costs about $1000 to do but it is worth it. This is my 4th or 5th VW so I was well aware of the timing belt issue and I just budget for it.

My ex-husband had an 1985 gas Jetta that had over 500K on it when he gave it away. Engine was still good but the body was shot. He gave it to some exchange students from the Ukraine, who drove it from Pennsylvania to California, where they junked it. But, it made it out there with no problems!

We have 2 currently a '06 Beetle and a '09 Jetta Sportswagon. We used to have a '01 Jetta sedan as well. We love our VW diesels. As someone mentioned maintenance is more than gas but we get better gas mileage. Also when there's a hurricane and stations are out of gas we can still fill up!

LetItBe
    Crayola Posse: Violet Blue

I have a 2002 diesel Jetta I bought used and I like it a lot. I get around 50 mpg. I paid I think $11k for it at 90,000 miles and although I love it, I do think it was kind of too expensive -- the diesels -- used at least -- are rare here, so they command a price.

Before that I had a regular gas jetta that went to 242,000 miles.

With studded tires they are like tanks in the snow! And, they are fun to drive. Be prepared, however, for the cheap plastic parts to break or random electrical issues with non essentials like the radio. But, you can beat the heck out of them and they keep ticking.

I have a golf that I've had forever, and I STILL love it. The body is quite the rust-bucket, and the interior is shot, but it's not going till it is really gone. Then I'll buy another of the same kind - I LOVE this car!

Quote Originally Posted by LulaBell View Post
    I have a 2011 Jetta TDI. Even though diesel is more expensive than gas, it works out to less $$$, as this car gets ridiculous mpg. Plus it's fun to drive!
    Want. Bad.

For all these reasons.

Fahrvergnugen is real and bred into modern VWs, and the diesel set up make it wallet-pleasing.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

All you diesel people, i hope this anecdote, which clearly shows me to be a moron, might help you from doing the same thing. If not, hopefully it will give you a chuckle.

There is another type of gas beyond diesel and the grades of unleaded. I'm sure you all know it exists, but I didn't, not until my car shuddered and died within 50 feet of filling up. I saw a freestanding pump, went to fill up, and was pleasantly surprised by how inexpensive the diesel was. I chalked this up to redeeming my Kroger reward points and saving something like 80 cents a gallon. It was ethanol 85, or whatever the heck they call it. Yes, it was a yellow handle and obviously did not say diesel on it, but apparently, I wasn't paying enough attention. Diesel handles are yellow at Valero, but I guess green everywhere else??

Bit of an expensive mistake. And I still feel ridiculously stupid about it.

I've had my car ~1 1/2 years, and have put something like 28,000 miles on it. Just love it. My only minor complaint is that it does have a bit of a blind spot, but just be aware of that and you shouldn't have an issue.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LulaBell View Post
    All you diesel people, i hope this anecdote, which clearly shows me to be a moron, might help you from doing the same thing. If not, hopefully it will give you a chuckle.

There is another type of gas beyond diesel and the grades of unleaded. I'm sure you all know it exists, but I didn't, not until my car shuddered and died within 50 feet of filling up. I saw a freestanding pump, went to fill up, and was pleasantly surprised by how inexpensive the diesel was. I chalked this up to redeeming my Kroger reward points and saving something like 80 cents a gallon. It was ethanol 85, or whatever the heck they call it. Yes, it was a yellow handle and obviously did not say diesel on it, but apparently, I wasn't paying enough attention. Diesel handles are yellow at Valero, but I guess green everywhere else??

Bit of an expensive mistake. And I still feel ridiculously stupid about it.

I've had my car ~1 1/2 years, and have put something like 28,000 miles on it. Just love it. My only minor complaint is that it does have a bit of a blind spot, but just be aware of that and you shouldn't have an issue.
    Oh, no!
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

We have a 2006 Golf TDI, and we love it. Since DH has a long commute and does a lot more driving than I do, and it gets such great mileage, it's primarily his daily driver.

Many years ago, I also had a 1982 (non-turbo) diesel Rabbit. I loved that car, too, but I have to say I really enjoy the improvements that VW has made over the years.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland