The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Where the riding is good and the friends are GREAT

Default Going to a clinic-what do I wear?!?!?!

I have never been to a clinic and have registered for one this weekend with an international event rider. I am a fairly new rider and new to eventing with a new horse and haven't a clue what the dress expectations are. Can I wear paddock boots and half chaps or should I wear tall boots? Can I wear my favorite blue pinstriped full seat breeches or should I wear ones more conservative? Jacket, vest, scarfs? It is January and the temperature that day is predicted to be around 32 degrees. And to add to my anxiety my horse lives out........he varies in state from slightly dusty to a hot mess in the wet winter months and dont have the ability to give him a full bath in the winter. I am afraid that I am going to show up to this clinic with a pig pen looking horse compared to others who have a shiny body clipped well bathed horse.
    Help!!!!!!!
    "There is something about jumping a horse over a fence, something that makes you feel good. Perhaps it is the risk, the gamble. In any event, it's a thing I need" -William Faulkner

Just wear clean, well fitting, classy clothing. I'm a guy, so I don't obsess about what matches or what is in style like women do.

As far as tall vs paddock boots, I don't own a pair of paddock boots so that should tell you what I would wear on my feet. If it's going to be cold, I'd be wearing my MH Active Winter Riders (after scrubbing the every living you know what out of them). I will NOT suffer numb toes for style.

As far as the horse, do the best you can with what you have to work with. You might want to give the guy a clip if he's going to be working hard so he's not a sweat rag that ends up getting chilled after standing around for a while.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'd err on the conservative side: plain britches, boots, sweater or technical top(s), maybe a non-puffy vest. No scarf. I had a lesson last week in similar temps and I wore a pretty heavy wool sweater, and two pairs of socks, and was fine.

As far as grooming, trim the horse up neatly, and if you absolutely can't clip, just get him as clean as you can. Can you throw a sheet on him the night before? That will at least help. I usually brush all the mud off, then heat some water up and rub the horse thoroughly with a damp towel and that gets most of the dust and slicks things down. As long as you don't have a gray/ paint you should be ok.

I'm not sure who you're clinicing with? IME eventers tend to be more realistic than other disciplines about the way horses actually live, so long as you've clearly made an effort and the horse is healthy and well-cared for. But I definitely would dress/ turn the horse out as if you were going to a competition-- everything but the coat/ braiding.

3 members found this post helpful.

Oh I dream about cool stuff from the Dover and Bit of Britain catalogs to wear in clinics!

And do clip - even a decent trace clip will really help your horse, even if they live out they do not need a full body clip and can do very well with a trace and blanket. There are loads of threads on clipping .... check the Horse Care board.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

1 members found this post helpful.

I wear clean well fitting everything and paddock boots with half chaps, they're legal in competition so why not at a clinic. Can you get your horse a bath and blanket him? Pull his mane, trim his tail and get him as clean as possible. If it's going to be cold, then by all means wear appropriate clothing and remember to layer, you may get hot and want to strip off some layers. I like to start out warm, but of course the harder you work, the warmer you will get.

If you can't bathe him at home, can you take him somewhere that has hot water and will let you use it for a fee? I hope you have a great time and learn something, most of all don't be nervous.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Thanks for that.....I do have MH winter boots (which I wore today) and LOVE so that solves my foot wear trouble. I plan on "spot cleaning" my silly horse every day until Saturday trying to get him clean.........thank goodness he is a dark bay and not grey!!!!! I just worry about being respectful to the clinitian............
    "There is something about jumping a horse over a fence, something that makes you feel good. Perhaps it is the risk, the gamble. In any event, it's a thing I need" -William Faulkner

I'm not sure who you're clinicing with? IME eventers tend to be more realistic than other disciplines about the way horses actually live, so long as you've clearly made an effort and the horse is healthy and well-cared for. But I definitely would dress/ turn the horse out as if you were going to a competition-- everything but the coat/ braiding.[/QUOTE]

Highflyer- I came from the H/J world and have found eventers to be awesome!!!! I have a bashkir curly and he is hard hard to get clean in his curly winter months. I always have him breed appropriately trimmed and tidy but curlys are mischievous and seem to be the messiest of all the horses at my farm. The clinic is with Stephen Bradley, whom I have heard is really great, but I am still nervous about my newness to eventing and bringing my new horse. Serenity now!!!!!

Stephen Bradley is very nice, easy to talk to, and down to earth. Mention your horse's breed and that he lives out, and don't worry about it.
    Neat and tidy will be fine. He'd much rather have you focused on the clinic than on frozen feet
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Stephen is great -- very approachable and is not going to care what you wear as long as things are tidy and your horse is well cared for. You will have a blast with him, he is very kind and VERY knowledgeable. It's eventing....we're not the fashion nazis.

We aren't fashion nazis, but if you show up in purple britches and petal bell boot and your older than 13 you'll get some eyerolls!

Wear your polished tall boots (not half chaps unless they are scrupulously clean which mine never are!) a pair of solid, lighter colored breeches (like a buff) a turtleneck (I generally wear a black one) and a pull over sweater or fleece/tech top. If that won't be warm enough layer with long underwear. Avoid a bulky coat so the clinician can actually see what your body is doing and you'll look trim.

Get your horse as clean as you can under the circumstances. There are "dust magnet" spray ons that can help with the winter deep dirty/dusty problem (or a scrub with a warm damp rag.) Lots on turn out can be faked if his mane is neatly and evenly pulled and the tail is tidy and brushed out.

Same for tack. Clean tack is good, but in a pinch a really shiny clean bit, shiny clean stirrups with bright new stirrup pads (I keep a spare brand new pair in my trailer!) along with a bright white, well fitting saddle pad will hide a ton of dirty tack!

Mostly, if you want to impress a clinician don't chit chat with other riders and pay close attention to not only what he/she says to you, but what is being said to all the other riders in your group. Do that and you'll be a star!

Ok, I take it back -- many of us are not fashion nazis but subk is. ;-P For the record, my petal bell boots are awesome -- they are the only bells that actually last longer than a month and I can replace parts for cheap instead of buying a million pairs. Ha!

Thanks, thanks, thanks to all for your help. I ended up being very appropriately turned out......and my horse actually looked clean.....Everyone's advice lead me to showing up feeling like I knew what I was doing......Stephen was terrific and very patient with my very ill behaved horse........looks like I will be doing some schooling in an indoor this winter since I think he really did not like it too much. I just need to find one.......

Cheers!

and now we want to hear details about the clinic!

Quote Originally Posted by FlightCheck View Post
    and now we want to hear details about the clinic!

Yes please.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/