The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nice things people do

What is the nicest thing someone did for you this past year?

My uncle, who I am not particularly close with (I moved away from home in 1994 and just recently moved back) spent all day in the rain yesterday cooking for my family. He brought over a whole smoked chicken, sausage, ribs, a roast with fresh veggies from his garden, homemade mac n cheese, an Oreo cake, and treats for the kids. I was so shocked and thankful.

During the summer, a Marine was at the commissary with his infant, and had forgotten his wallet in the car. He was loading up on diapers and juice boxes. I paid for his items so he wouldn't have to go all the way back to his car and then stand in line again. He was so appreciative, and made me smile

Lots of nice things have happened, but those two stood out for me.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JackandMo View Post
    During the summer, a Marine was at the commissary with his infant, and had forgotten his wallet in the car. He was loading up on diapers and juice boxes. I paid for his items so he wouldn't have to go all the way back to his car and then stand in line again. He was so appreciative, and made me smile
    Wow, that's awesome. Kudos to you
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

It takes so little effort to be kind. My work has me opening a lot of mail; occasionally the people write us notes. A lovely, lovely woman wrote this on her return slip: "Have a WONDERFUL New Year! And MERRY CHRISTMAS and GREAT HAPPINESS TO YOU!" Seriously. That made my day. And all it took was two sentences from a complete stranger.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

On Christmas day, at the last minute I decided to go see Les Miserables. I was standing in line and a lady came up to me and asked if I was waiting to see Les Miserables. I said, "Yes" and she said, "Merry Christmas" and handed me a ticket. My first reaction was not to take it but then I decided to felt good to receive and it meant I did not have to wait in line so I made it in time for the start of the film. On the way out I returned the good feelings by buying a ticket for the next stranger that came to buy one. Hopefully good feelings all the way around.
    Justice will only be achieved when those who are not injured by crime feel as indignant as those who are. - King Soloman (970-928 B.C.)

6 members found this post helpful.

I haven't done all that much, but these come to mind:

I sponsored a prize at a 3-Phase show my barn hosted this Summer.

When I was in NYC a few weeks ago I took a few friends out to dinner.

When my elderly Pug died in October, I sent a donation to a local Pug rescue in her name.

I have a friend who this year was on a business trip and saw a military person waiting to check in for her flight. She paid to upgrade him to first-class (I loved that!).
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I love my new part time job, it gives me free license to do good deeds.

Last month I was approached by a local teen drama club, who was interested in renting the auditorium to out on a play. The usual day rate is around $600. They needed it for five days and their budget was $400. I had their 15 year old representative write me an essay about why their play was a community service.. It was very well written, so I did it.. Five days for $400.00.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

4 members found this post helpful.

I try to smile and look people directly in the eye and say hello and sincerely ask how they are as often as possible. It may sound stupid, but someone once told me it may be the only smile some people get that day. Funny thing is, I rarely get people who don't respond back in kind!

5 members found this post helpful.

The past two years have been pretty ... accident-prone for me and I can I only say that I have been blessed to be at a barn (self/partial care type) where the people truly care about one another. While I was laid up from surgeries, people stepped up and took care of my horse's turnout, stall cleaning, feed preps, grooming, and exercising. They stacked hay, took care of lifting grain bags (even buying some bags), and arranging and holding for vet and farrier work. I tried, but I don't know that I ever truly was able to express how extremely grateful I was.

So now I just try to return the favor. I offer to help others when their schedules get rough or times get hard for them. A friend was finishing up finals for her last quarter of college so I cleaned her stall and fed her horse so when she got out of her last final she could just come and relax with him instead of doing chores. She was very appreciative since it was such a stressful day and it made me happy to make her load just a bit lighter.

One of my students whose mom was pretty nasty because she wanted him to get better grades has been putting in the effort to improve. He gave me a card and present that said "don't open until xmas!" In the note, he said " I've unleashed my hidden talents and made this scarf just for you," and in the box was a scarf he had knitted (13 year old boy!)

Just, SO meaningful in how he has grown and feels he can express himself now.

I also assign my students journal writes over break, and one of their tasks is to be a secret good fairy to someone or many or write about the experience. I can't wait to read what they did.