The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default VA Search and Rescue Dogs Want You to Hide in Woods at Training

Happy New Year!

This is a repeat of what I posted in The Menagerie a few days ago. I should have put Virginia in the title then. Sorry I didn't think of it at first! I appreciate all the views that post recieved!

Anyway, if you are in central VA and want to spend a few hours in the woods for a good cause, come on out and hide for our SAR dog teams. The K9 Alert home page will have our training calendar on it for you to see where we will be that week and you can contact us if you want to come out. (www.K9Alert.org)
    You can also walk along with a team and see how the dogs alert and indicate that they have found someone. It's very interesting! We also have HRD (human remains detection) and water dogs as well as Live Find dogs.

*** It looks like the calendar on the website has not been updated yet! Please check back! Thank you!!****
    We appreciate guests throughout the year.

Other areas have SAR dog teams as well; Google Search and Rescue Dog Groups or go to VA Search and Rescue Dogs to find a group near you. (Or whatever state you're in!) Different groups may have different preferences for how they train though.

Then there is TROTSAR, an equine search and rescue group. . .

Anyway, it would be fun to meet you if you came to our training sometime.
    Last edited by Malmare; Jan. 1, 2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: More info

I've been buried in the snow and played "victim" for our local avalanche dogs. They are amazing!! (and they really do need to train on actual humans so hope you find volunteers.)
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Bearcat, I like your signature!

We take turns hiding and helping each other. We do get guests from time to time, like firefighters or boy scouts, spouses or the general public. But we do want a larger gene pool!!

We are also wanting to be more aware of not always having the subject lying down. Some times you might find a dementia patient walking around, etc.

It is amazing what the dogs can do.

I checked the calender but didn't see any find em dates listed, but I would be happy to help if I am available.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

Thanks!

Maybe Scott hasn't updated the web site yet. I know he has our members' area training dates set up for the next couple of months.

This Sunday we are at Petersburg Five Forks battlefield area. The following Sunday is right near Richmond, and the 20th is at a private estate in Bremo Bluff. Sundays start at 9 and usually go til 1 PM or so. Sat night the 26th is at Pocahontas State Park and starts at 6 PM.

If you PM me ahead of time we can schedule something. I just may not get back to you for a day or two. . .

Cool! I put it on my FB page.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Great, thanks! I had done that too!

And the offer is open all year. . .

Even if you are looking for spur-of-the-moment 'entertainment' you could emai me. We just want to know to look for you, esp if we are at a private area.

I could probably help with the one in Bremo Bluff since, well, I'm there already. Message me if you need someone
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Malmare, this is fascinating and I would love to help. We relocated to Fort Lee in a few weeks. Is this something that you need volunteers for all year? Is there an email list or anywhere you can sign up to be contacted when help is needed? (I know you posted a webpage but I am super scatterbrained at the moment with the big move coming up - I'm afraid it will get lost in the shuffle.)

I have two 'regular old dogs' and I am always amazed at what they can figure out and do. I'd love to see the pros in action and help them get better at what they do!