The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Good movies?

I might watch a movie later on OnDemand or Comcasts version of netflix. What are some good ones?

I like anything with aliens or scary monsters (scifi, dinosaur stuff LOL!!)

I like funny comedies (Will Farrell, and I have seen The Campaign).

Not into romantic drama at all and I won't watch stuff that is over crass, constant cussing or lots of naked bimbos of either sexual variety.

Anything out that is any good?
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

I recently saw The Dark Knight (it's a Batman movie) and quite enjoyed it.

Have you seen The Fifth Element? An older movie but still one of my favorites.

Yes, I loved the Fifth Element!
    The Knotted Pony

I watched Prometheus the other night which I thought was excellent (precursor to Alien). I also watched Safe House on Demand- which I thought was pretty good but not great.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Prometheus!!! YES!!!!
    The Knotted Pony

If you like sorta weird little horror flicks that are a bit off the beaten track, we watched The Barrens a month or so ago.... Stars Steven Moyer (vampire Bill from True Blood) as a guy who takes his family camping in the NJ Pine Barrens and becomes convinced the Jersey Devil is after them.... And The Frozen, which stars Brit Morgan (Debbie Pelt from True Blood) as a girl who goes camping/snowmobiling with her bf, they have a snowmobile wreck, get totally lost, then a creepy hunter seems to be stalking them in the woods....
    And then Frozen, about 3 skiers stranded on a chairlift after the ski slope closes.....

Campy aliens: John Carter. Could have been waaaaay better, but it was okay.
    Prometheus looked good, hubby hates sci fi so I have to watch it when he's not home.... Fifth Element is one of my all time favorite movies!
    Battleship was, well, not completely horrible. Got to look at alexander skarsgard until they offed him....
    Total recall with Colin Farrell was better than I expected.

Jennifer

If you like foreign films, my family really enjoyed Red Dog. Funny, curious and it's about a dog - how much better is that?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

I dunno if it would be available -- and it's not a movie, but a TV show -- but I recently started watching Caprica. It's a prequel to the remake of Battlestar Galactica. It's pretty good. Highly suggest it.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

"A Lonely Place to Die" action thriller set in the Scottish Highlands. I thought it was excellent!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

2tru... I am convinced we are long lost sisters!!

Hello dino movies?? ZOMG I love dinos!! I was watching a documentary and was like "oh oh oh look a herd of placerias!" and then the announcer said it. DH was like *smirk*. Alien and scary movies? There! Predators is still on Comcast I think, and I dig that. I remember reading a Predator/Alien book as a kid that touched on the "classes" of Predators... And Prometheus was awesome.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

"Event Horizon" is one of the best scary alien type movies I've ever seen. Also one of the scariest movies I've ever seen.

For funny, we saw "Ted" over the holidays and thought it was pretty funny. In a stupid, Family Guy sort of way.

Event Horizon is the ONLY movie to ever give me a nightmare that woke me up and kept me up.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

2 members found this post helpful.

"The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" was very good! It's probably on On Demand now. (I thought the opening credits were too dark. I mean, I don't mind dark and intense but the credits don't need to scream dark, the movie should speak for itself.)

I'm with y'all on "The Fifth Element". Mila Jovovich has been in some other good ones. And Luc Besson is great!

Oooh, oooh, I have to find "A Lonely Place to Die"!!! Sounds like something I can get into.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I just watched "trouble with the curve" last night. Awesome!

2 members found this post helpful.

On cable... "Dream House" with Daniel Craig. Not great, but he's always great. an interesting watch. Also loved "Layer Cake" with him.

There is an EXCELLENT British movie called "Paperhouse" from 1998. If you can find it anywhere, watch it. Your library may have a VHS copy. I had to buy a European VHS of it on Ebay and have it converted to DVD, after seeing it once on TV years ago. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098061/

There is also a very good, very short, M Night Shymalan movie called "The Devil." It has maybe 10 people in the entire cast and most of it takes place in an elevator. SCARY and worth seeking out. Also, one of my favorite Stephen King adaptations, 1408 starring John Cusack and Morgan Freeman. My daughter (my scary movie partner-in-crime) gave it the ultimate compliment after we saw it: "It wasn't STUPID."
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I have read and seen all the alien and predator books and films! Jenners, I seriously used to dream about riding my very own triceratops LOL!

Event Horizon, sounds familiar. I am going to watch Prometheus as soon as the popcorn is ready.

Does anyone remember one called Area 9? Or something??
    The Knotted Pony

Omg! Now I remember... "Event Horizon" was freaky scary!

1 members found this post helpful.

Two I've seen recently...

Butter - drama/comedy, but mostly comedy. Centered around a woman's obessions with her family's involvement in competitive butter sculpting and a young girl's first attempt at it. Has swear words, but in a humorous context. Several big names it in.

Winter's Bone - drama on the darker side. A teenaged girl living in a family of meth cookes/dealers in the Ozarks cares for her siblings and ill mother while tracking down her missing father before they lose their house to pay his bond. Jennifer Lawrence is the star and is fantastic. Does contain swearing and some violence.

1 members found this post helpful.

District 9? Something about aliens taking over Johannesburg? I'm not a rabid fan of sci-fi, admittedly, but I didn't enjoy that one at all - I think I gave up halfway through..

Not an alien movie, but I rented Ondine a little while ago and loved it. It's kind of conventional as Neil Jordan's movies go (shortage of gender confused characters) and the story is great. It stars Colin Farrel as an alcoholic Irish fisherman who pulls a "mermaid" out of the sea in his net. It hovers on the edge of fantasy and it has one of the better child performances in anything I've seen.

I rented The Sea Inside based on someone's recommendation on one of these OT Day threads and it was fantastic. Regardless of your personal beliefs on the subject of suicide and assisted suicide.
    Last edited by Scaramouch; Jan. 1, 2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Wanted to add that I also love Winter's Bone.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"