The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yes I save lots of seeds, anytime I eat anything particularly delicious I save its seeds and regrow it. The only cantaloupe I grow these days is from a single melon whos seeds I saved almost a decade ago. Most of my favorite strains of basil I haven't bought in years either.

Surprised no one suggested Seed Savers for buying seeds. http://www.seedsavers.org/onlinestore/

They are pricey, but they have unique strains and everything is really top quality. When I buy plants they arrive healthy and strong, not leggy like so many hothouses. The seed garlic and potatoes I buy arrive healthy and clean and have always had terrific germination. Seeds themselves I can also count on germinating and the seeds are nice and uniform and well prepared. I remember I bought some el cheapador seeds in the past and half the seeds were dried and cracked or really misshaped, etc, no surprise very low germination rates.

I have also bought a lot in the past from http://www.heirloomseeds.com/ and Pine Tree
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

Territorial is my favorite also.
    One cost for shipping, so make sure you make it count. Can be expensive if you don't order much.
    Love their garlic, which is really doing well this winter.
    I get vegs and their wonderful zinnia.

Can anyone recommend a really good, flavorful, ample bounty heirloom tomatoe? I usually seed 5-6 different varieties every year, and while I have my fav cherry and sauce type tomatoes, I'm still on the search for that 'extra awesome' large tomatoe. It will be used for; gazpacho, burgers, salads and snacks on the side.

I love to experiment and have always had a 99% germination and production rate, so difficult is ok. My only problem is the damn deer! They love them as much as I do!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss J View Post
    Can anyone recommend a really good, flavorful, ample bounty heirloom tomatoe?
    What do you like? Sweet? Complex? Red? Bicolored?

Paul Robeson is a complex "black" tomato. Not huge, slicer size, but very heavy producer. I was pretty impressed. I had more tomatoes than I could handle.

Kellogg's Breakfast is a huge, orange beefsteak. A little sweet for my taste. Good producer.

My favorite is my PaPaw's "Jap" tomato (review found here). It's a pink beefsteak/slicer pretty close to Brandywine. I can send you a few seeds.

I like Gurney's and Parker's. Also Wayside gardens.

I used to start seeds but in order to do it right, it's a lot of work and I never got as good as what I could buy regarding size and maturity at time of planting. The only benefit to starting seeds is the ability to get exactly the plants you want. So many times, nursery plants are mislabeled. One year, instead of green bell pepper plants, I ended up with all banana pepper plants for which I had no use.

Some seed planting tips is start early...depending on your climate. I'm in a 4 season climate so I start about the first of March. I use a grow light so they get at least 12 hours of light...replicating spring daylight hours. Pay attention to the instructions...some seeds require dark (as in buried) to germinate and some require light (as in not buried but covered with a moisture barrier film). Also a source for warmth like a bottom heater helps accelerate the process.

I like the starter tray packages that I got at Lowe's. 3 parts: water proof tray, cells for dirt and seeds, clear plastic top for a mini green house effect. I liked watering from the bottom.

I got rid of all my seed starting equipment. I start tomatoes in egg cartons and then transplant to paper cups. A handy way to recycle.

Good luck! It's fun until it's not fun anymore. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    The only benefit to starting seeds is the ability to get exactly the plants you want. So many times, nursery plants are mislabeled. One year, instead of green bell pepper plants, I ended up with all banana pepper plants for which I had no use.
    Trust me, it happens with seeds too!

I start seeds on the hard to find varieties, but I hate the hardening off process. No fun to carry two dozen monster tomatoes in gallon posts in and out of the house and around the yard for a week.

My husband built me an awesome cold frame. Last year I started the seeds (a bit later) right out there and hardening off was easy peasy.

2 members found this post helpful.

The Baker Creek forums (idigmygarden.com) have a seed saving forum. There are some good knowledgeable people on the idig forums; I use them as a resource on a regular basis!

Every year, I think about saving seeds from my "crop", but then I don't do it. Why? Because I do like to try new varieties and I figure that I need to do my part to keep the seed companies in business!

And a lot of people save seeds specifically to keep Monsanto from monopolizing and destroying our sustainable food source. In fact, I think that's Baker Creek Seeds single greatest hope

2 members found this post helpful.

I get mine from Ebay. I got 1000 carrot seeds for under £2. Worth checking.

I save seeds because my gardening is an addiction. The only way I can keep my seed order costs reasonable, is to save some. Plus its the experiment thing as well. My greatest seed saving accomplishment so far is my beet seeds as they are a biannual plant, thus it takes 3 years.

I also am very supportive of Baker Creeks work so I buy seeds from them. Plus there is the "I know I dont need 10 different kinds of cherry tomatoes, but I want them." They do look super cool when you give a basket of all those different tomatoes as gifts.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss J View Post
    Can anyone recommend a really good, flavorful, ample bounty heirloom tomatoe? I usually seed 5-6 different varieties every year, and while I have my fav cherry and sauce type tomatoes, I'm still on the search for that 'extra awesome' large tomatoe. It will be used for; gazpacho, burgers, salads and snacks on the side.
    I LOVE black krim for sandwiches, burgers, snacks etc. I also like green zebra. It pairs really well with peaches and jalepenos for an awesome peach salsa.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Mortgage Lifter is a heirloom.

The story behind the tomato is a guy bred these tomato's, and he sold them during the Great Depression for a buck, and people from MILES around came and bought these plants. He made enough to pay off his mortgage during the Great Depression. The tomato had a different name at first.

Here is a history on the tomato.

http://www.tomatogeek.com/2010/08/04...-tomato-story/

I grew these last year and I am so worried I will not be able to find them "in flats" this year I am going to grow my own. Maybe I will sell some plants to my local folks around here. Super good tomato. They do get really LARGE so make sure you have lots of room.

That would be "Radiator Charlie's" Mortgage Lifter. There are a lot of other Mortgage Lifters out there, and not all are heirlooms.

I cannot recommend Seed Savers Exchange ENOUGH! I have been growing heirlooms exclusively for a few years now and have had phenomenal results. We are those weirdo semi-permaculture, organic nut jobs (LOL)....truly we do keep honeybees so using pesticides is out and I won't use any petroleum based fertilizers. The heirloom veggies & our practices out-produce my father in law's hybrids every year without negatively impacting the environment. AND the plus is that I can save the seed from my plants (very easy to do) and not have to buy seed the next year (take that, Monsanto!)

www.seedsavers.org If nothing else get the catalog...it's beautiful.

1 members found this post helpful.

Another benefit of saving seeds is trading them with other people in the amounts you want or need. A friend of mine has heirloom seeds from his great-grandfather and he trades them out; another friend has a great little squash that is hard to find and she saves seeds from that every year and trades.

Kinda like baseball cards.

I'm on a mission to buy things because I want to, not because I have to and saving seeds is an easy one to tackle.

Tradewind, your starting this thread and the responses I see make me think we should have a COTH seed exchange thread.

How cool would it be to have dinner in June and be able to remark, "Oh these are cowboymom's little squash and so & so's tomatoes.... " I won't be starting anything indoors or out for another 3 weeks but I'd be interested in trading seeds with some folks. I've got a local cowpea that is fabulous, some bizzaro beans (Trail of Tears, Calypso), Japanese Vining Cuke (outproduces every other cuke I've grown and takes almost NO space)...loads of fennels & dills...
    Tradewind - do you want to try any of the above? I could send you some. After seeing last year's harvest on the cukes everyone is asking me for that seed. LOL

What is a good heirloom tomato for growing in a container? I have absolutely zero gardening experience but I've been dying to try and grow heirloom tomatoes. Am I setting myself up for failure? Are there any heirloom tomatoes for dummies types?

Any tomato can be grown in a container - heirloom or not - so long as the container is large enough. Absolute smallest container size would be 5 gallons, but that is really pushing it, & you'd have to be relentless re: watering & feeding. The larger the container, the better.

Take a minute & do a search on "heirloom tomatoes for container growing". You'll get plenty of information & variety suggestions.

Determinate varieties are a bit more suited to containers because they don't get so top heavy. The problem with them is they tend to all ripen at once and then they're done - great for canning though.

But, if you can get a trellis tall enough *and* secure enough to not topple the container, then of course the indeterminate varieties will produce until frost.