The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Vegetable Seed Ordering

I would like to order vegetable seeds this year instead of getting starter plants. I have not done seeds in years. What are your guys favorite catalogs/websites etc for ordering seeds? Thanks so much.

Baker Creek, Gurney's and Johnny's are the three that DH uses. They have good delivery times to KY if you order early and between all three of them you get a pretty wide selection. He says that they all have websites.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

1 members found this post helpful.

Gurney's and Henry Fields almost always have coupons on their catalogs in the late winter and spring for $25 off of $50 orders ( or $50/$100, $100/$200) so I usually order from them. Baker Creek is THE place for heirloom seeds. There variety is amazing! I also order from Artistic Gardens online. For things that you don't need a lot of (like squash and zucchini--who needs 35 seeds?) you can order sample packets for 40 cents a piece. The number of seed depends on the type of vegetable/herb/flower it is. So, I usually do the Dollar General store, Gurney/Henry Field catalogs and Artisitic Gardens online. Then every 3 or 4 years I'll order a bunch from Baker Creek.

Sheila
    Chestnut Run Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

I just wrote down the stuff I want to order - I have stuff from Baker Creek, Gurney's and Jung. Last year I used RH Shumway, and I didn't feel like the growth was very good (I had trouble getting them to sprout).
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

I just got my Burpee Seed catalog. I was not impressed this year with their catalog. Think I will check out the other ones mentioned above.

I really want to grow again this year, the Mortgage Lifter Tomato. BEST tomato. YUM. Not sure who else sells this tomato.

I found them for the first time in flats for sale. I got 2 plants. They usually are only available in seed. I hate growing tomato's from seed. I always seem to have the weather timing incorrect, or maybe it is mother nature who changes things up. So they get huge and leggy. Also it is a hassle to take them in and out each day.

I would like to get some seeds though in case the merchants around here do not carry them. I do not have a green house. WISH. Maybe I should have asked Santa for one. ??

I have a very green thumb. Love to garden and grow things.

Johnny's, Park Seed, Burpee, and ... uhhhhh... the last one is escaping me LOL I'll have to go check - it just came the other day but it's hiding in my brain!

Territorial!

Baker Creek. We started I Think around 15 flats of tomatoes and peppers, and had exellent results.

Here are the companies I have dealt with over MANY years without any problems. Both seed quality, shipping, & customer service have been excellent. These aren't listed in any specific order. In addition, I've only ordered seeds from these companies - not plants.

Park Seed http://parkseed.com/default.aspx

Pinetree Garden Seeds https://www.superseeds.com/

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds http://rareseeds.com/

Seeds from Italy http://growitalian.com/

Territorial Seed http://www.territorialseed.com/

Totally Tomatoes http://www.totallytomato.com/

Kitazawa Seed Company http://www.kitazawaseed.com/

Gurney's Seed & Nursery http://gurneys.com/

The Cook's Garden http://www.cooksgarden.com/

Burpee http://www.burpee.com/

3 members found this post helpful.

Johnny's Selected Seeds: www.johnnyseeds.com

They have fantastic customer service. Ask for your regional sales rep for variety suggestions. Sometimes the catalog recommendations are geared for a northern climate. The sales rep in your area will have accurate recommendations. Johnny's also has good seed starting soil for growing your own transplants.
    Alison Howard
    Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com

Renee's garden and Tomatofest. I've used their seeds for years and have had nearly a 100 percent germination rate.

Noone mentioned Southern Exposure yet? :=)
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I order based on my tried and true varieties. My list every year:
    Burpee
    Parks Seed
    Tomatofest and/or Tomato Growers
    Renee's Garden

Bacardi1's list pretty well mirrors my own, adding http://www.southernexposure.com/

HRMT

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    I just got my Burpee Seed catalog. I was not impressed this year with their catalog. Think I will check out the other ones mentioned above.
    Burpee only had ONE thing I want - a new super huge roma tomato. I'm going to order seeds for it, but everything else will be from somewhere else.

Do any of you save seeds from the vegetables you grow? One of the reason I'm going to do Baker Creek Heirloom seeds this year is that I want to try my hand at seed-saving. A friend of mine tried and said it really seemed to be an art and he didn't have much luck at it.. anyone else have experience?
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Many years ago I saved some tomato, lettuce, and pumpkin seeds. I am still growing plants from those original seeds right up to today. It is addictive!

Don't go overboard and try to save from every plant and species the first year, or even the second or third. It should be an enjoyable process. If you find yourself grumbling, then just purchase ten bucks worth of seed from a reliable source and have fun in your garden.

Seed Savers Exchange has good info, as does Daves Garden.

HRMT

Hybrids are hard to save seeds from - you can save them, and they often germinate, but you don't know what you're going to get, or maybe they come back (mostly) true the first year, maybe 2, but then start to revert.

Heirlooms and original species are much more likely to be successfully saved. I've never had any trouble saving and re-seeding, either veggies or flowers, but I do know the hybrids revert eventually.

Sometimes it's an art, often it's not, just a matter of using seeds from mature fruits and drying them properly, then storing in a cool, dry place. Letting moisture get to them is the biggest reason many won't germinate later.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    Burpee only had ONE thing I want - a new super huge roma tomato. I'm going to order seeds for it, but everything else will be from somewhere else.

Do any of you save seeds from the vegetables you grow? One of the reason I'm going to do Baker Creek Heirloom seeds this year is that I want to try my hand at seed-saving. A friend of mine tried and said it really seemed to be an art and he didn't have much luck at it.. anyone else have experience?
    Are you getting the Big Mamma? I am super tempted to get one of those.

The Mortgage Lifter is REALLY good. It gets really big. Need a cattle panel pretty much for it to grow on. Big tomatoes, great taste, lots of them.

No I haven't saved any seeds. I am amazed somebody up top had lettuce seeds they saved. Neat. I do save other seeds from flowers, but haven't on tomatoes.

Black Krim is also really good. I usually grow many varieties, but this year I will concentrate on a couple. Roma is good big or small. It gets super hot here and very humid, so plants have to endure that.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post

Yes, seed saving is definitely an art and science. It helps to grow one plant of the same species, if you are satisfied with one type of tomato, summer squash, winter squash, etc. it can be very easy to save the seeds. But, if you have several varieties of the same "genus" things get tricky. Bagging flowers, hand pollination, spacing and of course timing. But, if you're a bit lazy (like me-LOL!) and don't mind the occasional hybrid, you can do nothing, let the bees do their thing and collect/plant seeds and see what happens.

I buy seeds from Baker Creek. I love the selection, history and almost feel like I am "traveling" to where the plant came from through growing and eating the magnificent seeds/vegetables in their catalog.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by rmh_rider View Post
    Are you getting the Big Mamma? I am super tempted to get one of those.
    Tomato success really varies by garden and season, but the Big Mama didn't impress me. If you want a big paste tomato I'd actually recommend trying a Giant Pear 76. They do have more than two seed cavities which can be more work if youre deseeding. But they are big and they are prolific.