The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Happy birthday, TBs! A Tribute to our (North) American TBs.

Wanted to wish happy Jockey Club birthday to all the wonderful TBs out there! I can't imagine what my life with horses would be without them.

My three have babysat my aging, overweight and physically inept ass, saving it on numerous occasions. Although different in temperament and age, they have been smart, kind, forgiving and have tried to keep me safe and on their back in bad situations when many other horses would have faltered. I owe them so much.

So, let's hear your stories about your wonderful TBs.

4 members found this post helpful.

Well, I have only had my current TB for about 2 weeks, but I love him so!! My last couple of rides have been bareback in the field through the foot of snow that fell, so much fun!!

Happy Birthday to my special boy and all the other wonderful TB's!!

Not enough words to describe my Cooper! Surprising may be the best -- surprisingly smart, funny, kind, independent, opinionated, courageous, loyal, fast, beautiful, silly and wise. Whatever Cooper does, he does it with his utmost. He is over the moon for me, which is fun. I am stealing this from someone else, but it is oh so true: Thoroughbred, he's not just a horse, he's an adventure!

1 members found this post helpful.

My little TB mare is 23 this year!

She sat in a field till she was 5, did the 2'6 - 3' with a junior until she went to college. I bought her right before my sophomore year of HS, did the Childrens with her, showed all over the northeast, then brought her to college. We did the Adult hunters & eq in VA during the school year, then she had summers off. After I graduated, she stayed at the college on loan and was one of the best 2'6 - 3' move up horses
    Last spring she was retired and is living in a lovely field under the care of the woman I originally bought her from!
    Here she is when I went to visit in May at her new home http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater
    Smudge - USEF "Blue Whisper" JC "Kappa Coed" 1990 gray TB mare

I just got my first last year. He has made me a better rider and taught me so much already -- I am now a hardcore convert to the Thoroughbred magic. If there's a rehab for this drug, I don't want to go.

4 members found this post helpful.

Well, fate didn't hand me a Thoroughbred this time around. Though, at least Lexy is an Appendix, so carries the blood. But, I've been around enough Thoroughbreds to know that there is no breed that can best them. Courage, loyalty, strength and stamina, they have it all. Plus, a quirky little sense of humor.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

2 members found this post helpful.

Happy JC B-day boys!

I know when both of their real Bdays are but they are by JC stds 28 and 7!

And the 28 yr old is a fiesty old fellow!!! Still trys to walk on his hind legs in and out from turn out

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

My Calvin is 23 today! He's been retired for 9 years due to injury, but in his day he was a 3'6" A/O hunter in California. He's sweet, smart, born broke, sensitive (some might say hot....) and taught me to be still...to sit quietly and let the horse do his job. He's munching away in his stall 100 feet from me right now, keeping an eye on any doings he notices. I miss riding him, like sitting on a sports car, responsive and ready for whatever might come his way. He has a brand new tub of homemade cookies for night check tonight, and I tossed him an extra bit of alfalfa hay for his BDay.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Happy "birthday" to all the TBs!

When I began looking for a horse, TB really was not high on my list. But I fell in love with a lovely 15.3 chestnut gelding who turns 12 this year! I have had him for about a year and a half and most of that time has just been us learning together. We've done a few local schooling shows and our goal is just to continue to progress and see where we can go together.

I am definitely fully converted and if I am ever looking for another horse, it will be a TB!

Happy birthday to my TBs:
    Khat, 22
    Remus, my new love is 6 and his buddy Finn is 5.
    My resale project who could never stay sound, Sullivan, is 14.
    And the old guy abandoned here years ago, Gage, is 31!

When I was a horse-crazy kid (I'm a horse-crazy geezer now!) my dream horse was a bay thoroughbred with black points. I couldn't in my wildest dreams have imagined how many of those I would the pleasure of knowing over the years. From my years on the backside of the racetrack I've fallen for every color and gender and truly remember them as individuals with distinctive personalities.

I love the TBs for their incredible heart and drive to "get it right", their quirks and humor, their stunning beauty and athleticism, their versatility and resilience. I love all horses, and pine for a nasty little pony, but I will always have a passion for thoroughbreds.

My pretty girl became an official mare yesterday. Happy birthday, Flight! And DD and I recently acquired an OTTB, a track pony for 14 of his now 23 years. He is still spry and fresh and will return to light work on the track to continue service to his much younger fellow thoroughbreds. Happy 23rd Pippin!

Love these stories! I'm at the point where I can't imagine owning anything else. It was really cold yesterday so my two were turned out in the indoor. They celebrated their official birthdays (both 2005 models) by taking apart all the jumps and playing with the blocks.

Happy b-day TBs! Mine are now 19, 10, 4.
    The 19 y.o. is a retired pet, the 10 y.o. was a PA CANTER listing in 2009 and just did his first prelim event this fall, the 4 y.o. is a Finger Lakes horse I just brought home yesterday (which reminds me I should go dig up that thead . . . ).

Celebrating my OTTB Addix's 11th birthday (and of course will celebrate again on his real one, lucky pony!). I got him for free, sight unseen, after he retired from racing. I really didn't like him at first. He was small and kind of ugly, wanted nothing to do with me, and once back on the track, he was absolutely berzerk. I spent hours every single day working with him, we made progress and I fell head over heels in love. Worked the track 2 years, then retired and now he's just my trail buddy/beach pony/dressage star/barrel racer/whatever we feel like doing that day.

He is my horse of a lifetime, after a lifetime of searching. He has been my rock, my family, my everything when I had nothing. He is the best horse I've ever ridden, and I've ridden a lot lol. He's also the smartest horse I've ever known. His personality, his athleticism, his smoothness of gaits, his sense of humor, his calm level headedness with just enough spark and fire to keep me on my toes, his beauty and just the way I have connected to him, all reasons why I love him so much.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

My guy is now JC 8!
    He was an online freebie who was just hanging out in a field. My "test ride" on him was conducted in the dark, in two feet of snow and ice, in a pasture with his buddies, wearing a Western saddle that didn't fit him, with a snow plow banging up and down the driveway behind him. Since that didn't bother him, I figured I'd take him home. I'll have had him for 3 years in March!

He's about the nicest guy to work with- TONS of personality, but never anything truly naughty. Laid back, intelligent, and cuddly. I don't think he's quite realised he's not a lap dog. Our huge accomplishment in 2012 was getting him reasonably sound- he's got a bone chip in his FL fetlock area, but we've now assembled a "Dream Team," and he's doing much better. Regardless of rideability, he's not going ANYWHERE!

For his birthday, we got him a stall in the heated section of the barn!

Default Lovely thread!

I, too, love my TB.

No papers; can't confirm his pedigree––but he was sold to me as a '93 model. I've had him for 12 years and it's been bliss. Well, bliss and some fractures , but it certainly taught me how to ride properly!

He's still in full work on a program that ranges from carrying me around the fields w/nary a spook in him, to challenging my part-boarder over fences.
    When I'm riding, he packs "my aging, overweight and physically inept ass, saving it on numerous occasions." as OP said so well.
    When trainer or less weenie rider is aboard he becomes a fire-breathing dragon.

Twenty going on five: Happy Birthday Exponential!
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4&l=a611453cc8
    Last edited by Somantu; Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM.
    Proud Rubenesquestrian

ahem..lest we forget, Happy Birthday to our resident STBs too

I learned to ride on OTTB's! No matter how much I manage to give back I will have been the one who has received more.

Happy Birthday to each and every one of you!
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Happy Birthday to my girls, Bo's Typhoon and Cat on the Moon!

I was browsing an older thread about the lack of respect TBs get today, and I had to laugh, because Cat and Bo joyfully exhibit every trait that TBs are maligned for.

I've been told they have an excuse, though. Care to guess their breeding, based on their names? Hint: a typhoon is a kind of Storm, and a cat is, well, a Cat....

Together with my un-painted Paint, Rosie, they've formed a coalition of evil, and are known collectively around the barn as the Unholy Trinity or the Witches of Eastwick. I live for the calls from the BO that start out "Guess what your girls did today?"

Love those TBs!
    "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." –Bradley Trevor Greive

I would like to wish a happy birthday to my TB mare Lillie (reg. name Penlee). She is 21 and I love her dearly. I acquired her specifically to breed to a friend's unapproved WB stallion and as she is unapproved by any registry, her offspring only receive Certificates of Pedigree or go before AWS. This cross produced a colt that went to the 2007 Young Jumper Championships and was Zone Young Jumper Champion in the Six Year Old group. Another cross was approved by the Swedish Warmblood registry with diploma status in dressage and missed double diploma in jumping by one point. Lillie and I are very proud mommas, however, we do not take credit for any undersaddle training. She will deliver a foal this year by my young stallion and I have people fighting over the foal already.