The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default best website for mens breeches and coats-

Has anyone found a good place to buy mens riding clothes? dover and smartpak are really lacking

For nice breeches (i.e. pikeur and the like), I love Amir Equi:
    http://www.amirashop.co.uk/

BUT - be warned that they do not have that many in stock (some, but not many). If you want a fancy colour and custom configuration you will need to wait for them to get here (2 to 3 months in my experience). If you aren't as picky for colour, just email them and ask what they have in stock from the size you need. If they have them in stock you should be able to get them in 3 weeks or so.

This thread is a chuckle for me as I have an adult male student who just wrote a funny article about buying riding clothes for men, stating in it that the usual gear in men's sizes is muck boots and work gloves! He was in a tack shop near Potomac MD last weekend and while his wife was off perusing saddles, he was scoping out clothes. The sales girl came up and said there were "more" around the corner and proceeds to show him a wall of Breyer horses! When he said no, I am looking for a coat and then showed him barn coats and gloves! When he said he wanted a show coat, she dismissed him and walked away! I guess it isn't easy for the guys!

Try your local consignment shop.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

It really is hard. My husband constantly complains about the lack of men's clothing. It's really hard to find breeches for him. Nothing local at all. And mail order is hit or miss. (Plus the hassle of sending them back, etc. if they do not fit.) VTO Saddlery has some online.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Most of the mobile units that go to the major horse shows and 3 day events usually have a good stock of men's things. Many of their items might be top of he line or near there but at least they have some sort of idea about what men wear and they may be able to access what you want.

Horse Country in Warrenton VA has a huge selection.

www.horsecountrycarrot.com

From the Menu on the left, scroll down to breeches, then Sandhurst for show breeches, Virginia for flared hunt breeches and Special for everything else.

They stock light weight, heavy weight, 4 way and 2 way stretch, pleated and flat front.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Another vote for vtosaddlery.com. Check both the Men's Apparel section and the Bargain Basement section. They have wonderful customer service, so if you have any questions about measurements etc., don't hesitate to call them!

I struggle with the same issue and rather than trying to find good stores I try to figure out which brands/styles fit me best and then hoard.

What I have found fit me best (and are reasonable $)

Tuffrider Patrol breeches. Form fitting, but cut in a way that does not display the male anatomy for the world to see. The relatively heavy, ribbed fabric helps in this too. Plus they come in colors suitable for showing and hunting.

Royal Highness pleated front breeches. Stretch twill that is not clingy. Full cut around the hips to give men the room they need. Pretty sturdy fabric. Minus: only come in brown, so great for schooling/trail riding/cub hunting but not for shows or formal season.

Two that show good potential and I need to try: Ovation Euroweave pleated front, Ariat Heritage breeches.

Avoid knit breeches like the plague. No man looks right in them.

1 members found this post helpful.

thanks guys! what a pain this has become! i never thought about menswear- until i started dating another rider. im gonna have a look around at the sites- thanks for your help the search goes on...
    ps: he LOVES his whitaker breeches i got him for xmas- but does anyone know where to buy them online reliably?

I also troll ebay looking for vintage mens' breeches. I have snagged ole timey flared breeches for not a lot of money in near perfect condition.

Horze may have some.

This thread made me chuckle. My wife has heard me bitch for years about how males are always discriminated against when it comes to riding cloths. When I have gone to Dover or Bit of Brittan and ask for men’s britches I walk by racks and racks of women’s stuff only to be lead to a rack with maybe 4 or 5 to choose from. All have been with a waste size over 40 closer to 50. I am a 31-32. Hate to order because everyone seems to use a different yard stick these days. Seems to me someone should start a site that caters to men, young and old. Seems to me the pleasure/sport horse industry should try and promote the sport to young guys. The first 4 pages of adds in the last issue of COTH were all men. Just saying
    I second http://www.horsecountrycarrot.com/

And so many pros are men. Where the heck do they shop?? I agree that someone should specialize.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by copper1 View Post
    This thread is a chuckle for me as I have an adult male student who just wrote a funny article about buying riding clothes for men, stating in it that the usual gear in men's sizes is muck boots and work gloves! He was in a tack shop near Potomac MD last weekend and while his wife was off perusing saddles, he was scoping out clothes. The sales girl came up and said there were "more" around the corner and proceeds to show him a wall of Breyer horses! When he said no, I am looking for a coat and then showed him barn coats and gloves! When he said he wanted a show coat, she dismissed him and walked away! I guess it isn't easy for the guys!
    Which shop? The old Surrey when it was down in Potomac had a pretty decent selection of men's stuff, and a really great consignment section upstairs. It was the local place for the Potomac Hunt, so had lots of male customers. But things may have changed in the 12 years since I moved away--I've only been to the new Surrey once and it definitely didn't have the same magic.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Since many men are foxhunters, and Horse Country caters to foxhunters you will always find wide selection of breeches for men there. Since a majority of hunt staff are average (28-36") Horse Country stocks those sizes. Since older foxhunters are, um, enjoying the fruits of their labors, Horse Country stocks those larger sizes too!

I definitely encourage men to visit HC if they can, (Hey, make it mini-vac!) and try on all the breeches until you find the fit, weight, fabric and style you like the best. Once you buy a pair, it's in their records and you don't have to bother remembering what you liked.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Mia, it WAS the Surrey! If I had been there with him I would have had a "discussion" with that sales girl as her behavior was extremely rude and these people would have spent money there! At my age I really do not suffer rudeness well!

Best bet is to shop the European websites. I have had good experience with this one. http://www.schockemoehle.net/shop/in...ath=103_25_155

Earlier in 2012, I wrote to Smartpak asking if the would carry some more variety of men's items but never got a reply

Have had good luck with VTO, but another good one is www.foxhuntingshop.com in AL. They often carry Dehner stock boots for men, have gotten them there in a hurry a few times. Very helpful and ship fast. lots of coats and breeches. There was a foxhunters shop in Canada that also carried a lot of men's stuff, but can't remember the website. A lot of the male pros order Pikeur from Amira, (best prices) and I have had good luck with them as well, except the sizing is difficult until you get the right one. Any one need a men's 38 show coat?
    I just find Horse Country way too expensive. Will buy there for my husband who hasn't changed size in 20 years, but not the DS who goes through breeches like I'm buying them from goodwill.

SLR, there is nothing more frustrating than a growing boy that needs riding clothes. When my son was young it was a constant problem I had. Here in Canada boys clothing was almost non existant at the time. Things seem to be a little better here now, but the boots and jackets still can be a problem. $300.00 for breeches that lasted a year, were the norm. Custom tall boots because the kid was tall and skinny.... I have nightmares just thinking about it. LOLThere really isn't a lot of mens clothing here now either, not like the choice you get with womens clothes. I know Greenhawk here carries breeches for men at a not bad price, I am just not sure if they ship to the u.s. You can google them, as they have an on-line store.
    www.tayvalleyfarm.com
    My other home.