The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do I recondition this Edgewood bridle?

I got the deal of the century today at a tack swap today on an edgewood bridle with a figure eight and matching caveson. I also got a pair of (non edgewood but still nice) rubber reins. All for $120

The bridle was obviously never used but it's also never been oiled.

What do I do with this?!

All I have at home is a bottle of Leather CPR. I am willing to order what I need to do right by (and darken) this lovely bridle.

Here it is:
    http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...f65cba6d7e.jpg
    http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...4844179984.jpg
    http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...f614b42670.jpg

Lovely!! I'd treat it the same as any new bridle... disassemble it, run a warm damp cloth over everything to catch any dirt/dust, and then oil it.... and then oil the next day again, especially if you want to darken it quite a bit. Good luck, I'm sure it will be stunning once your done!

I agree with JSjumper. The Edgewoods take oil so well and that one doesn't look like it needs to be reconditioned—it just looks new.

For my last Edgewood, I took it out and put each piece in a Ziploc with some olive oil, then massage the bag a bit and let it sit for a few hours (maybe even overnight—can't remember). Instantly, I had a beautiful bridle. I also did one coat of Hydrophane a few weeks later to darken it.

just dip it in neatsfoot oil and then roll it in your hands, twistng the pieces just a bit. hang to dry. with edgewoods, usually one coat is enough, but if you want it darker, add one light coat at a time until the right color, but remember, everytime you clean it, it will darken a little. i leave mine slightly lighter than i like and within a couple of months, they are perfect. finish with glycerine soap on a barely damp sponge.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Ditto what has been said - Edgewoods oil up so nicely! You got a steal!
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    For my last Edgewood, I took it out and put each piece in a Ziploc with some olive oil, then massage the bag a bit and let it sit for a few hours (maybe even overnight—can't remember). Instantly, I had a beautiful bridle. I also did one coat of Hydrophane a few weeks later to darken it.
    This, but don't leave it in the ziploc bag very long, a few minutes at the most. You can repeat this after a couple days.

I've found olive oil to be much better at darkening than hydrophane and use it exclusively.
    Last edited by Bent Hickory; Jan. 5, 2013 at 05:42 PM.
    "That is why you have a pony..." - Edgewood, 2011

I thought I was the only person who used olive oil! I stole it from the kitchen when I ran out one day and was very happy with the results! Of course then boyfriend was unamused his kitchen was covered in tack and he had no olive oil to cook with...

City of delusion in the state of total denial

You can't do a thing with that bridle. It's in awful shape. I'll take it off your hands just to be nice.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

7 members found this post helpful.

On my way out to grab some oil - can't wait. This one will have to be pryed out of my cold, dead hands. I am a total bridle fiend and an Edgewood has never even been in the realm of possibility.

I was digging through bridles at this booth and I was like, huh, this is nice, check brand, ohmygodohmygod, check price, omgomgomg. The lady asked "you know what this is, right? You know you're getting an amazing deal, right?" Oh yes.

My only concern is that it could be too big for my thoroughbred, but I suppose it would be worth taking it to the master saddler and seeing if they can cut it down. We'll cross that bridge when it comes...

I love this tack swap, I always get the best stuff (last year: Ariat half chaps and a stubben dressage bridle $20 for both, she threw in the half chaps with the bridle!). This year it was this bridle, some Herm Sprenger irons for $45, and a Miller's (YES nostaglia) never used saddle bag and bridle bag for $15.

Dang girl! I use warm neatsfoot oil and coat heavily and put in black garbage back for a couple of days - obviously with the reins and sheepskin piece youd just want to just coat several layers of neatsfoot oil on.

Quote Originally Posted by abrant View Post
    I love this tack swap, I always get the best stuff (last year: Ariat half chaps and a stubben dressage bridle $20 for both, she threw in the half chaps with the bridle!). This year it was this bridle, some Herm Sprenger irons for $45, and a Miller's (YES nostaglia) never used saddle bag and bridle bag for $15.
    You know, I've never been to Iowa, and never had any urge to visit before now...
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post
    You know, I've never been to Iowa, and never had any urge to visit before now...
    No kidding!!!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.