The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help! I have a foot washer

What to do with a foot washer/hoof splasher horse. She paws the water in the tank and has now broken the heater. Help me with solutions. Dangerous, annoying, costly and down right aggravating. . .

Solutions?
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

I was looking at horses at a nearby farm and noticed that all of their water tanks were up on stands they had built with pressure treated wood. The stands elevated the tanks 2/2.5 feet off the ground and kept the horses from playing/pawing in them.

My current horses don't play in the tanks, but I filed that idea for if I happened to get one that did.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

I have cement blocks under my tank.

Sure keeps them long legged TB's from splashing around anymore. And their expressions were priceless after I rigged it up that way.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

My Haflinger loves water. I had a big plastic bucket for him, and my trimmer found him soaking his front feet in there once. He splashed and pawed and made a mess. Swapped him to a smaller automatic water bucket hanging on the fence and I still find water puddles under it.

Caught him at it once, he doesn't paw anymore, but he sticks his nose in up to his eyes and sloshes around.

We've been outside and figured out what we hope will be a solution. We placed a goat water tank 3/4 way through the fence and will drop a sinking heater in the outside portion, blocking it from the rest of the tank.

We can't use the "up on blocks" because she is turned out with 2 very small Arabs and also a friend of mine did that and found the tank and blocks turned over. We're hoping this is going to work. . .

We would not put a tank up on blocks, because that would be oh so inviting for rattlers to get under there.

That would be asking for a horse to get bitten.

We rarely have a horse do more than wash it's face in there, but we have larger stock tanks, 6' to 20' in diameter and they rarely try to paw on those.

I've been looking for a solution to this same problem for about 13yrs. now I've gone from a 100gal tank to 1/2 of a 50gal plastic drum in the "splasher's" pasture. At least she's not wasting quite as much water, and I can clean that one a lot easier (which has to be done every day in the summer). I can't use stands either because she's turned out with a mini-donkey. Can't use the halfway through the fence solution either. We have pipe and predator wire fencing.

Any other suggestions?
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    I've been looking for a solution to this same problem for about 13yrs. now I've gone from a 100gal tank to 1/2 of a 50gal plastic drum in the "splasher's" pasture. At least she's not wasting quite as much water, and I can clean that one a lot easier (which has to be done every day in the summer). I can't use stands either because she's turned out with a mini-donkey. Can't use the halfway through the fence solution either. We have pipe and predator wire fencing.

Any other suggestions?
    We also hope that the goat tank which is low and has a 50 gal capacity will serve as a "sacrifice tank" The other alternative is a shock collar. . .

Being in a climate that has days of freezing weather we really like the heaters and hope this is the solution. My husband thought of the larger buckets that hang on the fence.

I also use cinder blocks under my trough. My "water horse" mare can still splash with her head, but no more legs. I keep all vegetation immediately around the blocks mowed/pulled close to deter snakes from moving in. Has worked well for over a year now.
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

We have one swimmer in a herd of 4, plus 2 goats. Our solution was to elevate the big tank up on cinder blocks and then offer a small 20-gallon round tub on the ground But with a cinder block stuck in the middle of it. This way she can kinda paw at it / have fun and the goats still have water at their nose level.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.