The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Devising show sponsorship to reward drug free horses

I've been following the threads on Humble, and I am glad the drugging in the H/J world is getting to be more widely known.

I'm in the beginning stages of launching a product aimed at women, and we were planning on doing sponsorship at horseshows (because that's where women are!). I want to reach the amateur-owner type of rider, so was interested in sponsoring lower level classes.

Do you think there's a way to do the sponsorship so that drug-free horses are rewarded? I would love to be able to do this -- as everyone is saying $$$ talks, and if sponsors are demanding drug free competitions, I'd imagine the horse shows would start to listen.

The drawback in my own particular case is that I'm small (though was planning on working with HITS). And of course, the ultimate purpose of the sponsorship is to make the product seem alluring and worth buying. But there must be a way to do both -- sell the product while also rewarding drug free rounds.

Any ideas?

It sounds like a nice idea in principle, but I think it would be difficult to do without a lot of testing.

Unless you've got the $$$ to drug test every round, I can't see it happening.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I love the idea. Set it up so that the winners will be tested. Highest place, drug free horse wins the money. Have the class be non-recognized if it must be.

Now that would tip things around. Have a $10,000 class and the 6th place horse gets the money!

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, maybe we don't sponsor a division; maybe we do something like a local bank is doing with eventing -- they select four horse/rider teams based on an essay and then pay their entry fees at four recognized events (and have a special dinner & other goodies).

Maybe we can sponsor a few horse/rider teams, but in a way that doesn't interfere w/their amateur status.

1 members found this post helpful.

I was writing while RAyers was -- yes, why not have us pay for the horses to be tested?!

(Wouldn't it be sad, though, if very few entered as a result??)

I love this idea!!! I think drug testing frequently would be the key. Good luck! keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    I was writing while RAyers was -- yes, why not have us pay for the horses to be tested?!

(Wouldn't it be sad, though, if very few entered as a result??)
    As a competitor, I'd be willing to kick in an Every Horse Gets Tested In The Squeaky Clean Division fee.

And I'd be very proud to have people watch me compete or win in the TeeTotaler's Division.
    Last edited by mvp; Jan. 1, 2013 at 11:38 PM.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I feel like a good fix would be in classes over a certain amount of money test all the prize money winning places. Like derbies, classics, etc. I'm willing to pay extra money for horses welfare and to get the drugging to stop. My horse came to me getting a list a mile long of drugs at shows. I showed him a week after I got him, with zero drugs and we were champion.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Would a problem be that some things given are not testable??

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    And I'd be very proud to have people watch me compete or win in the TeeTotaler's Division.
    Well, we can't call it the TeeTotaler's Division as the product in question is a vodka!!

I don't know that top shows are going to want to create a new division; it will be interesting if I raise the issue of testing to see the response I get.

I actually also have an email into the USEF and they were thinking of some sponsorship ideas for me to consider. I'd be happy to share my thoughts of the image of hunter showing with them :-)

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Well, we can't call it the TeeTotaler's Division as the product in question is a vodka!!
    That's hysterical. The Designated Driver's Division?

OP, I think the trick would be to fund testing of the top X in the class. I really like the idea and I'd be proud to drag my old furry bad-moving horse up to New York for the flat class, if you do it as a division, to support it!

(However you end up doing it, thank you for being a sponsor!)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

You bet...and kind of ironic you are pushing vodka? Maybe that's not the best approach? Sounds kind of nuts for a mood altering substance that can be abused to be sponsoring a drug free class...just hits me wrong as a marketing device.

Don't get me wrong, I am finishing the last of the NYE bubbly (and it ain't cider) but I'm not sponsoring a substance free evening.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Darn. I was going to tell you about a Pony Jumper you could sponsor that competes drug/supplement free. But I guess vodka and the Juniors aren't such a good mix.

Of course, the parents watching could use the product ...

Bloody Marys in the morning. With Iced Tea at Lunch, tonic as the day goes on.... Hmmm - maybe not such a bad mix after all.

Instead of sponsoring a class, sponsor an information session in the evening at a horse show with a reputable veterinarian. Encourage riders, parents, trainers, etc to come and learn about horse care, consequences of drugging improperly/over drugging, etc. Raffle off a free class or prizes for those in attendance, or offer food. This way you're encouraging education which is what we need more than another sponsored class.

I'm for hire if you need help.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    You bet...and kind of ironic you are pushing vodka?
    Don't get me wrong, I am finishing the last of the NYE bubbly (and it ain't cider) but I'm not sponsoring a substance free evening.
    Erm, the substance-free part of the show is horses only --

Seriously, I care much less if the people are taking various kinds of drugs; they do it voluntarily, the horses don't.

Though I take your point. I guess if my vodka is going to be giving any money to a horse show I absolutely don't want it going to some shady trainer's horse that's drugged up to the eyeballs. The focus of the sponsorship does not necessarily have to be WE ARE DRUG FREE; I just would hate to reward behavior that I personally find disgusting and reprehensible. So how can I structure the sponsorship to ensure that happens? And maybe to incentivize (is that a word?) riders to ride drug free.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Darn. I was going to tell you about a Pony Jumper you could sponsor that competes drug/supplement free. But I guess vodka and the Juniors aren't such a good mix.
    I know, I'd love to encourage this rider! But definitely we have to be sponsoring adults only :-)

Default Like someone said before....

Sponsor riders on the Squeaky clean team. Anyone testing positive loses sponsorship and has to return previous money.

You might also consider sponsoring classes for home kept horses, fewer of them would test positive compared to horses in BNT barns I bet..
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

I suppose so... as it is currently.

But the draw of the division might be specialized enough (and the playing field level enough) that you had folks who wanted to be there and be there clean.

Think of the recent enthusiasm for the "affirmative action" OTTB divisions. The peeps there are quite proud of their now-off breed hunters.

Also, the leveled playing field would be a big draw. I don't think *anyone*- HO or trainer is proud to have won as they did with the help of drugs. They have different rationales that let them do that. So it would appeal to me to have a place to put a horse I know had gotten there honestly. Also, if I found myself in the market for a new trainer, this would be the division I'd watch for a pro I liked.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I actually also have an email into the USEF and they were thinking of some sponsorship ideas for me to consider. I'd be happy to share my thoughts of the image of hunter showing with them :-)
    Tread carefully, eh? The right wording is key since the "Hey, wouldn't now be a great time to have an Expressly Drug Free hunter division" would constitute salt in wounds. You and the USEF would need exactly the right spin in order to not have the division imply an indictment of Everything Else.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat