The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best tack brands for show jumping? Saddle? Bridle?

What are the best and highest quality show tack brands?

Bridles? Vespucci, Pessoa, Woodedge, Bobby's, Jeffries, Hadfield's

Saddles? Antares, Butet, CWD, Tad Coffin, Prestige, County?, Delgrange

Adult, 5'5" medium build, probably a 16.5" (ride in a 16" now), for Adult Eq and Adult jumpers. Want something up to date and very functional and cool. Love Butet's. I have tight hamstrings so have been told by several trainers to shorten my stirrups to be able to press down over jumps in the heel, so like the forward but not tooo forward flap to accommodate my knee.

Bridle... looking for a padded fancy stitched dark brown... best value and brand??

I like CWD, Beval, and Antares - in that order.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

"Best" and "best value" are really two different questions.

I can't even begin on saddles because we know nothing about the horse. No saddle is best or a value if it doesn't fit the horse.

In terms of bridles, the best I have seen in person is Hadfields. I think the best value are the HK ones made for Smartpak.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

4 members found this post helpful.

double post, sorry
    Last edited by vxf111; Jan. 3, 2013 at 12:59 PM.
    ~Veronica

There are a plethora of high quality brands out there. Don't resort to buying something just because it is popular, there is way too much selection for that and tack should be bought for a purpose rather than a certain "look". I much prefer buying used based on quality instead of "brand-name". Also keep in mind how available they are, some brands are harder to access than others.
    Some other bridle brands you may want to consider:
    New Cavalry
    Arc de Triomphe
    Edgewood
    Hermes
    Devoucoux

That $5k Butet is worth crap if it doesn't fit you and/or your horse. I'd find a saddle that both of you love, THEN find bridle brands that coordinate in color and style.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Of course, things must fit, but in the lane of best value, check out Ovation. Saddles are now made by Ruiz-Diaz, and its basically a Pessoa, but more affordable, with XCH system and lifetime warranty on tree. Their bridles are from same leather as Edgewoods, but more color options, including dark brown. But check a lot and consult a saddle fitter if your horse is hard fit. If fairly "normal," the Schleese online videos on saddle fit are very helpful. Good luck!

My favorite bridle is the Edgewood. A true hunter classic with scrumptious leather.

As far as bridles go, figure out how long you want it to last. Some of the bridles with very soft leather that are very pretty and currently very "in" will only last for a few seasons of heavy showing/use, even when you baby them. The leather just isn't meant to be used very much. If you do buy one, make sure to include buying a new one every 2-3 years in your showing budget. Most people I know who use these bridles and show heavily do this, because maintaining the look they want requires a perfect bridle, and these bridles don't stay perfect for long.

That said, if you want to go with a lesser-known brand and a bridle that isn't quite so buttery and ultra-fashionable, there are many amazing options! These are usually more reasonably priced and will last for a very long time if you treat them right.

Quote Originally Posted by reay6790 View Post
    My favorite bridle is the Edgewood. A true hunter classic with scrumptious leather.
    OP says she does the jumpers (and eq).

Quote Originally Posted by bluebuckets View Post
    As far as bridles go, figure out how long you want it to last. Some of the bridles with very soft leather that are very pretty and currently very "in" will only last for a few seasons of heavy showing/use, even when you baby them. The leather just isn't meant to be used very much. If you do buy one, make sure to include buying a new one every 2-3 years in your showing budget. Most people I know who use these bridles and show heavily do this, because maintaining the look they want requires a perfect bridle, and these bridles don't stay perfect for long.

That said, if you want to go with a lesser-known brand and a bridle that isn't quite so buttery and ultra-fashionable, there are many amazing options! These are usually more reasonably priced and will last for a very long time if you treat them right.
    YMMV but I have had the opposite experience. I have high-end bridles that are 8+ years old and look brand new. I think, if you take care of it properly and there's no unexpected accient (horse stepping on reins, etc.) you can expect the very good quality bridlework to last a very, very long time. Of course you have to properly clean, condition, and repair as neeced-- but he really good bridles last if you treat them well.
    ~Veronica

Our barn is all jumpers and we love Pink Equine for bridles, martingales, and boots. Tons of cool options and reasonably priced for the quality. They are cost effective enough to have more than one for schooling/show. I ordered one of the Sport Interchange bridles for my new horse and it's gorgeous - the nicest I have seen in that price range.

I haven't seen them around much out here (Midwest) but when we go to shows everyone wants to know where we got the cool bridles. Not sure if they have a fancy stitch option but they have everything else, so you might check them out and see.

Quote Originally Posted by LilyandBaron View Post
    Their bridles are from same leather as Edgewoods, but more color options, including dark brown.
    Their leather is NOT the same as Edgewoods, it is from the same tannery but of a lesser quality. This information came directly from an email I received from the people at JustBridles.com and it was very nice of them to differentiate between the two brands, rather than tell me I was getting the same leather at a cheaper price.

Good to know differences - love JustBridles! I don't find the differences in quality of Edgewoods vs. Ovations to be worth the price. Just my opinion, but most of the brand names are more status symbol than a major leap up in actual performance. But if it makes people happy, no harm in splurging.