The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Mr. BYF is the man version of the boy I started dating in college -- honest, diligent, athletic, handsome (sigh...) -- twenty years ago. Married 16 years now, 3 kids, tons o'pets. He still is not one for sentimental small talk, which works fine for me as I require fair-to-no coddling.

He's a good, good man who I would pick again any day.
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

Mr Talk is pretty much the best thing that ever strutted into my life We knew each other earlier on, but never dated. We met at the feed store, he worked there and always loaded my feed. (sigh, those arms...) Anyways, he got a different job, we lost touch, life went on. A year or so later, I went to a birthday party at someone's house with my BFF. Didn't really know anyone, was just going for moral support (friend was not good at mingling by herself..lol). Well, as it turned out, DH was a roommate of the birthday boy. So we reconnected, flirted shamelessly, started dating, and the rest is history. Might I add that our first kiss was on a dock on the lake, in the rain.
    We both have pretty hot tempers, so we have to work very hard at keeping those in check, but he has made me such a better person, he takes care of me, he loves me unconditionally, he loves his dogs, and he rides. And he wears a cowboy hat and drives a Dodge. Dang, think I just got a crush on him again!

P.S. Interesting side note for all those Nicholas Sparks romantics out there...my BFF is getting married to that Birthday Boy (DH's best friend) next month!

1 members found this post helpful.

Add me to the list of COTH'ers with the best husband ever! Mr. Caradino was not an animal person when we first met, but today he is the proud 'dad' of a pony and a fuzzy little mutt, and can't wait until we have our own farm so we can keep adding to our collection of furry kids. He fixes fence, takes care of the critters, vacuums, and washes the dishes, not to mention takes care of my car and splits the firewood. (Which is so fun to watch )

We have been together for 4 years, married for about a year and a half of those, but have learned a lot about what it takes to have a successful marriage. Being married to your best friend is SO important, as is having a healthy dose of respect for each other. Another thing that we have found absolutely crucial to the health of our relationship is laying out our expectations of the other person, and working things out and compromising if we don't expect the same things!

But essentially we just love being together, hanging out, watching movies, playing silly board games, hanging at the barn, playing with the dog, traveling, and even going grocery shopping. He's my best friend, and I wouldn't trade him for anything!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Mine is pretty amazing too. We've been together 7 (or 8?) years now. He's probably the kindest person I've ever met. He's also the best friend everyone should have, which makes me extra lucky to have found him. I'm not an overly social person and usually enjoy quite a bit of 'me' time. The fact that I'd rather spend my 'me' time with him says it all, really.

My fiancé and I met almost three years ago. I moved my horses into his Mom’s boarding barn. When I got there, he was helping lay the stall mats in my horses’ stalls (shirtless and sweaty on an unusually hot Spring day – I had to roll my tongue back up into my mouth). I was not dating at the time – doing the single thing. But man did I appreciate the eye candy for that couple of hours until they were finished. He says he doesn’t even remember meeting me that day, he was so engrossed in finishing the stalls. About six months later, I ran into him and his boys (from a previous marriage) at the barn when they came to visit. We had a short but very nice conversation. He later told me he asked his Mom about me moments later, and about a week after that I got a Friend Request from him on Facebook! Lol He asked me out after a little back-and-forth Facebook flirtation, and we haven’t looked back.

I honestly didn’t know he was “the one” right away. I will say that I was quite swept away, but I was a cynic – I was 29 at the time and I’d already decided I apparently was never going to meet a man I’d want to marry and was going to just live the rest of my life with my horses instead. So, I think I finally realized this was “it” when he first mentioned spending the rest of our lives together (maybe 6 or 7 months in). I don’t even remember his exact words, but it was some very casual statement (but a *statement* not a question) about how we’ll have such a great set-up when we build our house on the acreage [I bought land just after he and I got together]. And I thought to myself, “Huh. We will, won’t we?” And it just seemed so natural and right.

I think the strength of our relationship is based on how completely we adore one another. We literally dote. We both do special things for each other – little things – unexpected things – on a regular basis. It keeps our love alive and helps us appreciate one another just that much more.

Our life together so far has been both amazing and crazy. Amazing because we have already gone through some rough patches and come out on the other side loving each other so much more. Crazy because circumstances have changed like crazy! He was the every-other-weekend Dad when we met. I moved in this past Summer. We almost immediately were handed over his younger boy, and just this past weekend the older one came to live with us, too. What I thought was going to be the two of us enjoying each other has become a family of 4 *very* quickly. I’ve needed some time to adjust along the way, but I love his boys and I’m SO happy he can have them full-time now that I’m here.

One other thing – I think it’s amazing how well we balance one another out. We both try to take life in stride, but both get frustrated or overwhelmed every once in a while, and we’ve had more than our fair share of those moments lately with the custody swapping. When he does “break” and have a weak moment, I immediately perk up and show him the bright side because I can’t stand to see him upset or down. And he does exactly the same thing for me on days when I feel defeated or overwhelmed. It doesn’t matter if he’s already feeling awful – he changes his tune to brighten me up. And vice-versa. Because love means always doing everything in your power to take care of that person and make them happy.

My mom knew him before I did and liked him so she played matchmaker. We talked about everything before marriage. Did we want kids? Discipline? Money? My horses. It helped that we saw things the same in these areas. The biggest was that we are both Christians.

Good relationships are made by sacrifice from both people from day 1 and from a total commitment to that marriage. We have had some bad days in our 21 years together, but you look at the bigger picture and you continue to love that person even when you may not feel like it. Too many base a relationship on what you feel on any given day and that is a disaster in the making.

I've been waiting for this post to re-open! Count me in too with a great hubby! Mr. FourFaults and I just celebrated 10 years together (common-law) on January 28th. We met through work - I flirted with him heavily, but didn't seem to be getting far (he was getting his affairs in order and it was over Christmas so it was nuts for his family), until I had a car accident leaving work one night that he saw happen. He stayed as a witness, took me to the ER, made sure I ate, took me home, picked me up the next day and was my limo until I could get a new transportation method. Within 6 months, we were living together!

We've been through SO much - family emergencies, financial stuff, unemployment, me falling off my horse and getting really hurt while selling our house, my Mom living with us, not once but twice...you name it, but we have stuck it all out and come out stronger for it.

He supports my horse obsession and I support his old car obsession. He's funny, smart, ambitious, handy around the house, silly, good lookin', and very easy going so gets along with all my family and friends. I'd be so lost without him. We recently went out for our anniversary dinner and the hostess asked us our secret...we both agree there are so many things that make a relationship work, but our top three are: 1)respect each other, 2) be each other's best friend 3) and my favourite - he makes me laugh every day. I love his laugh.

He recently gave up smoking as an anniversary gift (clearly he wanted to or it wouldn't be working) to me and I have to say that made me love him even more. I'm so proud of him right now!! That's worth so many of the pretty, shiny diamond ring I also got last week! But...the ring is pretty nice too lol!

A round of applause for all the good guys out there!!

FF

1 members found this post helpful.

My husband is my high school sweetheart He understands my love for horses and comes to the barn with me, wakes up before the crack of down to watch me show and be my groom. He doesn't get mad when I get an $1,100 vet bill or when I spend $400 on a new helmet. He doesn't always understand completely but he tries so hard. He's even ridden my horse a few times.

We have joint bank accounts and are on the same page as far as a budget goes. We like the same activities, he makes me smile just looking at him. He believes in me, tells me how beautiful I am and sends me random cute texts. he's also big dork just like me.

Sure, we have our differences like an couple. But we talk it out and get to the bottom of the problem and at the end of the day he's the person I want to be with. Nothing else matters.
    "There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle; one is a sense of humor and the other is patience."

I am extremely fortunate to be blessed with a wonderful husband. We met over 12 years ago when my best friend fell on him when she was drunk and we were line dancing. We haven't been apart much since.

He does barn chores, house chores & makes me laugh. He has learned to groom, muck, lunge & ride. He drives the trailer for me and will even drive up & down the east coast to pick up ponies for me, even if I don't NEED another one

AND he is even behind my little Russell Terrier Breeding & Showing venture now...