The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Mr. Fourbeats is my perfect match. This is my second marriage and his first. We just celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary and each year is better than the last. We met at work but I didn't know he liked me until after I had switched to another job with a different company. I was getting over a bad break up when he asked me out so I said no ( I wasn't interested in dating anyone!). He waited 6 months and then called me up to ask me out again. I thought that any man who was willing to quietly wait that long was worth at least going out with once. Plus, the invitation included not only me but my two kids too. So, right from the start, he got that I was a package deal. That meant the world to me.

I knew he was the right guy when I realized that I wouldn't change a single thing about him and that I didn't need any "alone" time. I actually preferred to spend every available moment with him. 14 years later and it's still that way. He is everything I could ever ask for in a man and everything I didn't even know existed. He makes me feel loved, wanted, and needed but also loves the fact that I'm an independent woman with a mind of my own. He encourages me to reach for the stars while providing a rock solid foundation. I never let a day go by without letting him know just how special he is and how thankful I am that I said yes.

3 members found this post helpful.

My SO and I met in my dorm room when my roommate brought him in to work on a biology lab assignment. I will never forget that I thought he was the biggest dork ever. This was freshman year of college. We had General Chemistry together and sat near/next to each other due to my roommate our mutual friend. We definitely had chemistry but I was hung up on this bad boy that was in polo club with me in the beginning to see what was right in front of me. Well my SO and I got to know each other better and I started to like him then one day my dorm roommate said she was interested in him and I knew then how I really felt about him. I knew I like him and no way in h*ll was she ever getting near "my man". I moved out early from the dorms shortly after that, so could finally make a move. We met up at her birthday party and I got his number and invited him over that night. He called when he was leaving the party as I had left already and was interested in coming over. I chickened out and told him no that I was already in bed for the night. Thankfully, I invited him over a few nights later and we just stayed up and talked. It took our 3rd night of talking for him to even kiss me. The rest is history. In April, we will of been together for 9 years.

It hasn't been easy. We have done long distance on and off and currently are doing so. I am going to vet school out of the country, so we only see each other for about 6 weeks out of the year. It sucks, but soon it will be over! He is awesome and taking care of my 3 cats for me. WINNER! lol Plus, he loves my horses and they love him. And obviously it goes without saying that my cats love him as well.

One day, we will get married, but we are in no rush. We love each other and know that and for now thats enough.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a really good relationship with my ex-husband. We have two kids together (almost 17 and 15), were together over 10 years and have been divorced for 10. We talk every day, go out for dinner sometimes and sit together at the kid's events. Great guy.

SO and I have been together for 17 years. Lived together 16 of those We went out a couple of times (met at a mutual friend's wedding), but I "blew him off" because I was hung up on someone else. The someone else was an ass, so that didn't work out. About 3 years later SO calls out of the blue, "Do you remember me? Would you like to go to dinner again?" We've been together ever since! Basically he's kind of shy, so I'm forever thankful that he got the nerve up to call me again.

He didn't know anything about horses when we met, but he loved animals. He took lessons for awhile, but had a really bad knee so he quit riding years ago. Last summer he had knee replacement, and a few months ago he said he wanted a horse. Don't you know that was music to my ears ! I think I may have found one suitable (he just wants to trail ride), and we're going to pick him up this weekend for a 30 day trial.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I met my husband online. That was 2006 and by the two month mark we were talking marriage. Bought the house the same year and married in 2007. Others have hit key points, another one is don't be afraid to get counselling when things get rocky. Sometimes you need that impartial third party to help, for us it was largely learning to improve our communication skills.

Just south of the Arctic Circle...seriously

Some of you might remember that I got divorced earlier this past year after years of trying to help my ex quit his drug addiction. I dated around for a bit and I'm dating a really great guy now who treats me like a princess and who is honestly everything I could have ever wanted in a man and a few things I didn't even know that I wanted.

We met years ago as cadets during an annual summer training. I was engaged then and he was just about to get divorced and we became close friends and stayed in touch over the years and occasionally would get together and go drinking or whatever. I got divorced and dated around and he suddenly got really jealous and it turned out he's had feelings for me for years, and used to tell his friends about this great girl he knew and loved but was married. So I agreed to try to date and here we are.

I'm currently living on the Georgia/South Carolina border and he's on the Texas/New Mexico border and it looks like it'll be that way for the indefinite future, which definitely sucks. But I really love the time I DO get to spend with him and I'm hoping it won't always be this way.

We're taking things pretty slow which is good for both of us, especially me, but a little while ago I had this really vivid dream of me and him in the future and I was holding our daughter, which was slightly terrifying because I don't really want to deal with girls, but aside from that, it was SO vivid and real and I've never had a dream like that before. Who knows?

Right now I'm happier than I've ever been. Even my dog who never liked my ex likes him a lot.
    “Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker, and more intelligent.” -George Morris

Mr. Lilitiger and I by no means have the perfect marriage but he has the most fantastic sense of humor, that helps everything, and I have to say a shared spirituality, is awesome. Sat beside him this afternoon and sang my heart out in a sweat lodge, nothing like praying with your spouse. When I was younger never thought much about this but now...I think I cannot imagine life without it!

2 members found this post helpful.

Fourteen years into this relationship, headed to our 11th anniversary...he's 14 years my senior and I'm wife number 3. What can I say, third times the charm.

We've had some low lows but even at the lowest I don't think i could have, would have, ever walked away. He is my friend and my partner. We care about each other's happiness and each other's success. I put up with his boats and he puts up with my horse shows. I taught him to ride and didn't kill him in the process, so I'm either crazy or a saint or talented or...lucky

I knew he was the one within a week or so of meeting him. The truth was just 'there'.

Yes! We've been together 2 1/2 years now and both sort of knew right from the beginning that "this was it." I have a temper, and we certainly fight, but it's always about such minor things. He's really good about helping out around the horse, pretends to be interested in my dorky horse addiction , and we generally have a fantastic time together—even if that just means sitting on the couch, playing the iPad. We met randomly through mutual friends.

(My parents have been together 26 years this year, through thick and thin.)

John and I have been together almost 6 years. He's a great guy, very kind to our animals, takes care of me, and works hard.

Today, he fixed the stalls in our new barn in Ohio for my horses to come home tomorrow. I was in bed, not feeling well. He also finished clearing the fence, in the snow and 24 degree weather. Then he brought me juice and toast and offered to make dinner (okay, beenie weenies and toast I love Beenie Weenies, so it was a kind offer) so I didn't have to get up.

He's moved 10 hours from home, leased a farm mid winter, in the snowbelt of Ohio. He's pulled his weight with horse chores, he's learned about electric fence, hay, shavings, horse feed, and he's doing a great job with the farm.

On top of that, he's a great friend, responsible, and does the best he can by our little 4 legged family. And, he's hot and damn good in bed!

18 years of marriage for Mr HUHD and I this summer. He is wonderful and we were made for each other (we would have found each other in the desert). A good marriage is totally possible. I actually know a lot of people with great, long term marriages. I really think you just have to be happy with the choice and not regret the many, many paths not taken in your life. If you are constantly wistful about not doing this or that other thing with your life, it could be a problem. You have to make a good choice to start with and then commit to be happy and attentive to making that choice work.

My parents marriage sucked so I looked to my granpdarents. Grew up neighbors, married @ 18 & 20 during the war, marriage lasted 42? years til he died suddenly, He kissed her before he left for work every day, how sweet.
    Inlaws were married 60 years, she thought about leaving him bunches but gave him the ok to go without her 7 years ago.
    DH & I met when we were the age our kids are now, wow, I think that was 28 years ago. Always rocky parts, if anyone tells you there aint there lying. Old family friend told me marriage is 60/40, if both of you give 60 & expect 40 from the other person its easier to meet in the middle.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Thumbs up

I'll add my wonderful Mr. Sherlock to the listing here...celebrated our 34th anniversary in 2012. I was widowed very young and was doubtful I'd ever find another love like that, but I have been amazingly blessed to have found exactly that!

My DH is allergic to hay and has arthritis which prevents him from actually riding, but he fixes things at the barn, helps me with many practical issues in horse management and even designed and built my barn and arena lighting system himself! He encourages me to spend time with my horses and somehow knows they are my lifeline and joy.

I think Guillerme said it well...we get along really well and we respect each other...it helps when the bumps come! Life has hit us hard from time to time, but here we are, still each other's bestest friend...there's NO one I would rather spend time with!

Married 16 years I think, I lose track. DH and I have been through a lot really with finances and inlaws and stress but there is a very thick bottom layer of our relationship that is pure friendship. All that relationship crap floats on the surface but you're either best friends or you aren't. The BF thing keeps it going....If your boyfriend escapes you at the moment your best friend better be there...

My hubby and I have been married for almost 5 years now. We dated for 3 1/2 years before that starting the end of our senior year of highschool. He's a seriously awesome guy- he has been incredibly supportive of me in everything I do and has grown into an incredible horseperson himself. Instead of just "tolerating" my equine obsession, he encourages it in pretty much every way possible. He's my best friend and with out a doubt one of the last true gentlemen out there. He opens doors for others (car doors included!), is incredibly respectful when speaking (sir, ma'am) and would spend his afternoon helping a stranger get their car out of a ditch. I am incredibly fortunate and wouldn't trade him for the world!!

By the way, I knew from before our first date that I needed to marry this guy! Every day I've spent with him has been more than I deserve and I have never questioned our relationship. Love that guy!

I will also put in for the best husband ever.

Supports the horses AND helps fund them - I am forever bringing more home and he just sighs and asks "where are we driving to this time?"

He is even being really supportive of my recently won free breeding - something he is fairly adamantly against, he would much rather me spend the $$ to buy a baby as he knows I will be a basket case!

He is a contractor, handy, can fix anything and built me a barn and a small ring.

We do fight, but rarely - two people can't live together for long and not get under each other's skin!

Together 8 years, married 7, going strong!

DH and I have been together 13 years, married for 5. We met when we both started at a boarding high school, and have stuck it out all the way from age 17 through him finishing his PhD last year. We're best friends and partners first and foremost - we always try to treat each other with respect, so we never really have any huge fights. I really believe that to have a strong relationship, you have to wake up every morning and "choose" that person all over again, and that's what we do each day. Plus it doesn't hurt that I TOTALLY dig my guy!

I knew my DH was the man for me the first day that I met him. We dated for about 8 months, then he proposed, we were married the next year...This year will be our 25th anniversary. We have two beautiful children, who are both now young adults...Thankfully both have graduated HS, daughter is senior in college and son just snagged a very good paying tradesman job. No drug or alcohol problems with either...Yes, there have been some bumps in the road-stress with young kids, some job changes, but overall, we've always been "good friends" as well as lovers...

I knew hubby was a keeper when we got back from our honeymoon, and he announced he knew of "just the right horse for me"...I thought we were going to wait until our property was established, but no, he had other plans. I then got my first freebie QH, a former hunter, retired to doing only trail riding... Thankfully, my MIL had an unused barn I was able to use until our place was built.

Bonus: Hubby also looks totally hot in his cowboy hat and boots, and YES, he can ride! He's taking me to AZ in April (Christmas present)-highlight will be a 5 hour trail ride...Yippee!!

Mr. SSF and I have been married for 10 years, he helps fund my horses and lets me show well, alot and we have 7 horses at home.
    Best advice, act like a grown up, do your fair share and then some, be nice to all of the family.

We have been married almost twenty-five years and it is all better now than at the start. We agree to disagree sometimes, do some things together, some apart. When our boys were little we would have date nights every so often and even now we do that. Most of all, we tell each other we love each other every single day!